Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 133
  1. #61
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    *crossingfingers* hard that when Age of X-Man is over she is back in her Asian body.
    Lol why hard?

  2. #62
    Focused Totality Psycwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cavern X
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    I don't recall this and I read every issue. There was some psystabbing but mainly her whacking people with her sword and having Warren drop her on people. I wouldn't say any of that called for much martial arts nor prowess. Her recognition has been far more her show of power and her voice. Fighting, yeah I haven't seen it yet.
    I’d attribute the fact that she is stil garnering new melee weapons and getting up close and persona with folks that she does still have it. She was also going h2h with Horseman Blob for a panel or two in issue 9 or 10, iirc.

    We also have her in the AoXM Alpha issue fighting Bishop. A nice big solo fight would be great but I’d think all these little tidbits would shownshes still got it.

  3. #63
    Ambiguous Hero Psy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    I'm an artist also, I get what you mean on laziness. But I definetly don't understand how her being changed back to white was somehow someone being bullied. /confused.
    I never understand the anti-PC (PC for themselves crowd), think things should remain the same for them, but change for the good is somehow being PC. Which literally means doing things politically in terms of Government. Like Being for the non Change is Politically correct, not the change. PC Means agree with those in control.
    PC applies to far more than government. The problem is that when something is created it isnt created with anything else in mind but the person creating it. When you have those who want it change and they give in to that demand. It opens the door for others to complain and demand change. At the end of the day if you don't like something don't support it. Other than that you should leave the works of others alone.

    Also the literal definition of political correctness; The term political correctness is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society.

    As you can see it's a team used for a society not the government.

  4. #64
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    PC applies to far more than government. The problem is that when something is created it isnt created with anything else in mind but the person creating it. When you have those who want it change and they give in to that demand. It opens the door for others to complain and demand change. At the end of the day if you don't like something don't support it. Other than that you should leave the works of others alone.
    .
    There's no way anyone can prove this is True...I think Taziral May been referring to political correctness in the in a sense that a government in Washington DC changes an old rule or passes a law that then local governments/buildings have to follow

  5. #65
    Ambiguous Hero Psy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    There's no way anyone can prove this is True...I think Taziral May been referring to political correctness in the in a sense that a government in Washington DC changes an old rule or passes a law that then local governments/buildings have to follow
    I know what Taz was stating. I was pointing out that it is not a government term. It's a term used for society as a whole. Ergo I was using it correctly.


    Also why would anyone create anything in mind for a stranger? They wouldn't. Creators create from their heart and soul. No creator should be limited on the basis that someone finds offense to it. You're going to be offended. Learn to deal with it like a healthy adult. Polictal correctness has no business in the realm of creativity. All of it belongs. The good, the bad and the downright ugly.

  6. #66
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Lol why hard?
    To make it really "come true". Lol

  7. #67
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    I know what Taz was stating. I was pointing out that it is not a government term. It's a term used for society as a whole. Ergo I was using it correctly.


    Also why would anyone create anything in mind for a stranger? They wouldn't. Creators create from their heart and soul. No creator should be limited on the basis that someone finds offense to it. You're going to be offended. Learn to deal with it like a healthy adult. Polictal correctness has no business in the realm of creativity. All of it belongs. The good, the bad and the downright ugly.
    I think you're right, it is a societal thing.

    I have a problem with it though, society (certainly in the UK, and I assume the US because we take our lead from there) is so inherently unequal that some of this Political Correctness just looks bloody stupid. The UK is institutionally racist for example, and is barely improving, and hasn't improved in years, in fact decades. So we have people in society actively avoiding saying and doing certain things for fear of offending those who like to be offended, and we have people being outraged by the smallest slips on Social Media, whilst the reality is that the society is so set against certain races, religions and sexualities that the outrage against individuals for PC slips just looks ridiculous. In the meantime the society as a whole and the people at the top are managing to push their agenda of complete inequality.

    To me this is something that comics should have been attacking for years, but has obviously failed so far. Yes there are now more minority characters than there were, but the balance needs to be completely redressed, and to do that there needs to be a very firm push of all kinds of minorities in the medium, you have to be fair to Marvel, I suppose they had a go with it (and some characters are now doing well). If people from other communities than the white, Christian, heterosexual, male one are routinely portrayed, and portrayed properly and in the right context, they will become properly integrated into the comic book society, and hopefully there is a chance for the whole of society to shift towards becoming more equal. Obviously I know it is a pipe dream, but this is quite a powerful medium, with a lot of young followers, and young people are the future after all.

    I hope I don't come over as preachy.

  8. #68
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post

    Also why would anyone create anything in mind for a stranger? They wouldn't.
    Errr there's many literary works written for someone the author didn't know or for future generations.... victims in sh!tty situations have always kept a record of their troubles throughout the years and then there's this....

    http://strangersproject.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    Creators create from their heart and soul. No creator should be limited on the basis that someone finds offense to it. You're going to be offended. Learn to deal with it like a healthy adult.
    I totally agree that no creator should censor themselves Buuuuut i think it's a lot healthier and a helluva lot more adult to not go out of your way to offend people. Its not that harde to do it in regular society.... Not every creator motives are altruistic if you're find yourself constantly writing material that is deemed offensive maybe you should look at your motivations and where they stem from
    I grew up in a Super White Super Conservative Super Southern Alabama town there is little that offends me but my 'offense threshold' is not the same as everybody else's and I trry to empathize. It "grinds my gears" people who try to police another feelings. You can create all the offensive stuff you want but when people criticize it and ask is this art or just the regurgitated rhetoric of ancestors...... crying PC foulness is kinda silly

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    Polictal correctness has no business in the realm of creativity. All of it belongs. The good, the bad and the downright ugly.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Create freely but Don't blame 'PC culture' for mainstream Folks thumbing their nose at what you produce
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    To make it really "come true". Lol
    You're now my sexiest poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    I think you're right, it is a societal thing.

    I have a problem with it though, society (certainly in the UK, and I assume the US because we take our lead from there) is so inherently unequal that some of this Political Correctness just looks bloody stupid. The UK is institutionally racist for example, and is barely improving, and hasn't improved in years, in fact decades. So we have people in society actively avoiding saying and doing certain things for fear of offending those who like to be offended, and we have people being outraged by the smallest slips on Social Media, whilst the reality is that the society is so set against certain races, religions and sexualities that the outrage against individuals for PC slips just looks ridiculous. In the meantime the society as a whole and the people at the top are managing to push their agenda of complete inequality.

    To me this is something that comics should have been attacking for years, but has obviously failed so far. Yes there are now more minority characters than there were, but the balance needs to be completely redressed, and to do that there needs to be a very firm push of all kinds of minorities in the medium, you have to be fair to Marvel, I suppose they had a go with it (and some characters are now doing well). If people from other communities than the white, Christian, heterosexual, male one are routinely portrayed, and portrayed properly and in the right context, they will become properly integrated into the comic book society, and hopefully there is a chance for the whole of society to shift towards becoming more equal. Obviously I know it is a pipe dream, but this is quite a powerful medium, with a lot of young followers, and young people are the future after all.

    I hope I don't come over as preachy.
    Ugh such A good post Dude

  9. #69
    Fantastic Member Mr Cochese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    I think you're right, it is a societal thing.

    I have a problem with it though, society (certainly in the UK, and I assume the US because we take our lead from there) is so inherently unequal that some of this Political Correctness just looks bloody stupid. The UK is institutionally racist for example, and is barely improving, and hasn't improved in years, in fact decades. So we have people in society actively avoiding saying and doing certain things for fear of offending those who like to be offended, and we have people being outraged by the smallest slips on Social Media, whilst the reality is that the society is so set against certain races, religions and sexualities that the outrage against individuals for PC slips just looks ridiculous. In the meantime the society as a whole and the people at the top are managing to push their agenda of complete inequality.

    To me this is something that comics should have been attacking for years, but has obviously failed so far. Yes there are now more minority characters than there were, but the balance needs to be completely redressed, and to do that there needs to be a very firm push of all kinds of minorities in the medium, you have to be fair to Marvel, I suppose they had a go with it (and some characters are now doing well). If people from other communities than the white, Christian, heterosexual, male one are routinely portrayed, and portrayed properly and in the right context, they will become properly integrated into the comic book society, and hopefully there is a chance for the whole of society to shift towards becoming more equal. Obviously I know it is a pipe dream, but this is quite a powerful medium, with a lot of young followers, and young people are the future after all.

    I hope I don't come over as preachy.
    They should make Brian Pakistani-British next and relaunch Captain Britain, causing every beetroot-faced Daily Mail reader in the land to explode with rage.

  10. #70
    Mighty Member mugiwara's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    They should make Brian Pakistani-British next and relaunch Captain Britain, causing every beetroot-faced Daily Mail reader in the land to explode with rage.
    Nope. Just replace him with Faiza Hussein.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

  11. #71
    Ambiguous Hero Psy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Errr there's many literary works written for someone the author didn't know or for future generations.... victims in sh!tty situations have always kept a record of their troubles throughout the years and then there's this....

    http://strangersproject.com

    I totally agree that no creator should censor themselves Buuuuut i think it's a lot healthier and a helluva lot more adult to not go out of your way to offend people. Its not that harde to do it in regular society.... Not every creator motives are altruistic if you're find yourself constantly writing material that is deemed offensive maybe you should look at your motivations and where they stem from
    I grew up in a Super White Super Conservative Super Southern Alabama town there is little that offends me but my 'offense threshold' is not the same as everybody else's and I trry to empathize. It "grinds my gears" people who try to police another feelings. You can create all the offensive stuff you want but when people criticize it and ask is this art or just the regurgitated rhetoric of ancestors...... crying PC foulness is kinda silly


    I'm not sure I agree with this. Create freely but Don't blame 'PC culture' for mainstream Folks thumbing their nose at what you produce

    You're now my sexiest poster

    Ugh such A good post Dude
    First of all I disagree with everything you've said. I'll also point out I don't create offensive crap, I am defending the ordained right to freedom of speech and expression. That's it. If you don't like something and are offended. That's on you. You do not get the ability to police others works. Don't like it, don't support it. Anything more ,ie bullying and complaining, is completely and utterly unbecoming.


    I'll put it to you this way. Adolf Hitler is a POS but Mein Kempf is literary genius and a gods send in dealing with charming sociopaths. You see, his bigoted rhetoric helps us with dealing with common issues like that today. We wouldn't burn his book that brings us knowledge and information just because he and his ideas were bigoted. Same thing. Every piece of art deserves its existence. Whether you agree or not will not stop people from expressing themselves freely. You'll have to deal with it like a healthy adult. Sorry.

  12. #72
    Ambiguous Hero Psy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Furthermore no, you can keep your PC BS. I love being non PC. I am a Gay Native American. I grew up in an all white suburb of an Ivy league school. I was also very poor. I know what it's like to be bullied every single moment of my life. I also know that I was able to get over it with humor. Humor which involves joking about my own sexuality and race. If I can let go of the stupidity of political correctness and embrace the good that comes from humor created from situations unfamiliar. Then anyone can. Grow up, your feelings are your own and have no authority what so ever in anyone else's life at all.. All art is art. The fact I have to say that is absurd. ALL ART IS ART.
    Last edited by Psy; 02-19-2019 at 08:13 AM.

  13. #73
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    They should make Brian Pakistani-British next and relaunch Captain Britain, causing every beetroot-faced Daily Mail reader in the land to explode with rage.
    It would be interesting to see what would happen, I agree. That, of course, is what needs to be challenged in the UK. The best selling newspapers, though obviously their sales are falling, are all owned by billionaires who push a far right agenda. Their current tirade is about a young girl who was (it seems obvious to me) coerced and groomed at a very young age to join Islamic State. Now 4 years later, at the age of 19 she wants to return. The way she is portrayed by the press, and consequently those who read it, is appalling. It seems to me to be obvious that she was a little girl who suffered fairly serious abuse and regrets decisions she made when she was 15, and probably before. But now she is being vilified, the papers are ramping up bigotry and suggesting that the UK makes her stateless, which obviously is against international law, but is whipping people up into a frenzy of Islamophobic and racist rhetoric on social media.

    These are the people who are effectively creating the political climate in the UK, they are the people who created the vote to leave the EU by setting parts of the working class against each other. It is insidious and horrible and people are suffering for it. The political agenda is set by this nonsense, and huge swathes of the public fall into line behind it, and no politicians are prepared to stand up to it. This is why comics and books and tv drama have such a responsibility in my view. This needs to be challenged, the UK is a massive hotbed of bigotry, there is systematic and accepted racism, sexism, homophobia and religious bigotry, and it is becoming more the norm. It has become acceptable to express hateful (in my opinion) views, it has become acceptable to abuse people in public, so called hate crime has increased massively since we voted to leave the EU, divide and conquer suits these people. I actually know people who think that leaving the EU will ensure there will be no more Muslim migrants coming into the UK, this is the kind of stupidity people take from those newspapers.

    Yes making Captain Britain Indian, or Pakistani, or Iraqi might help, it might attract readers to the story and I would hope it would, I would also hope that people who already read comics would also give it a go. But the establishment backlash would be horrible. I think the only hope over here is young people, and comics is a medium essentially for young people.

    I wonder about freedom of speech, is it freedom if the mega rich owners of all the news outlets are far right extremists? How can anybody else enjoy a similar platform? What views are going to prevail in that kind of society? I think we're starting to find out the answers in the UK.

  14. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    It would be interesting to see what would happen, I agree. That, of course, is what needs to be challenged in the UK. The best selling newspapers, though obviously their sales are falling, are all owned by billionaires who push a far right agenda. Their current tirade is about a young girl who was (it seems obvious to me) coerced and groomed at a very young age to join Islamic State. Now 4 years later, at the age of 19 she wants to return. The way she is portrayed by the press, and consequently those who read it, is appalling. It seems to me to be obvious that she was a little girl who suffered fairly serious abuse and regrets decisions she made when she was 15, and probably before. But now she is being vilified, the papers are ramping up bigotry and suggesting that the UK makes her stateless, which obviously is against international law, but is whipping people up into a frenzy of Islamophobic and racist rhetoric on social media.

    These are the people who are effectively creating the political climate in the UK, they are the people who created the vote to leave the EU by setting parts of the working class against each other. It is insidious and horrible and people are suffering for it. The political agenda is set by this nonsense, and huge swathes of the public fall into line behind it, and no politicians are prepared to stand up to it. This is why comics and books and tv drama have such a responsibility in my view. This needs to be challenged, the UK is a massive hotbed of bigotry, there is systematic and accepted racism, sexism, homophobia and religious bigotry, and it is becoming more the norm. It has become acceptable to express hateful (in my opinion) views, it has become acceptable to abuse people in public, so called hate crime has increased massively since we voted to leave the EU, divide and conquer suits these people. I actually know people who think that leaving the EU will ensure there will be no more Muslim migrants coming into the UK, this is the kind of stupidity people take from those newspapers.

    Yes making Captain Britain Indian, or Pakistani, or Iraqi might help, it might attract readers to the story and I would hope it would, I would also hope that people who already read comics would also give it a go. But the establishment backlash would be horrible. I think the only hope over here is young people, and comics is a medium essentially for young people.

    I wonder about freedom of speech, is it freedom if the mega rich owners of all the news outlets are far right extremists? How can anybody else enjoy a similar platform? What views are going to prevail in that kind of society? I think we're starting to find out the answers in the UK.
    Here's the rub. You CAN Make Captain Britain another ethnicity, WITHOUT getting rid of Brians and Betsy' past just to appease some who like a fake Asian half naked ninja chick. You literally can have Kwannon get under a good writer like Lieu or Wilson, and have her star rise. I'd say that what GWW did for Kamala is one of the reasons characters like her, Squirrel Girl, and Moon Girl are successes. I'd go so far to say that Under a good writer, Kwannon could surpass Psylocke. BUT, her connection to the X-men leaves no room for real growth.
    To grow and become more than an ACTUAL Ninja chick, she needs to move away from Psylocke. Psylis popular, but on her own is B-C tier at best. Not because she's a bad character. But because her tropes clung to her like a bad smell. Now she can move beyond that, remain Psylocke and grow under better writers.

    Let Brian retire or take command of the reformed Corp, let Faiza become the new and Permanent CB. I'd be all over that.
    Is always confused.....

    My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

    My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

  15. #75

    Default

    Also, in terms of ACTUAL Political correctness. Take trump for example. He LOVES Political Correctness because you have to agree with his view or you're considered fake or false.
    Asking for a white woman to be returned to her own body because some people it's icky, is NOT Political correctness no matter how you try and twist it.

    The Politically correct thing would have been to ignore people and leave her as is. That's how Political Correctness works. You agree with the status quo or be punished in some way.
    Status Quo is "Psylocke is only popular being a half-naked Asian chick, forget she was white, let's alter her past to make people happy with her being Asian, anyone who doesn't like it is an SJW."

    The Anti-PC thing is to return her to form.
    Is always confused.....

    My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

    My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •