Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I'm not sure about her being in caucasian or asian body also. But what if she was in asian body here, couldn't we put the blame on the AU situation?

Maybe because Wolverine died and never came back, in this world she didn't go through the Hunt for Wolverine storyline (or similar) and they decided to use asian Betsy. Not that I see a real need for this type of approach, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    I'm not sure about her being in caucasian or asian body also. But what if she was in asian body here, couldn't we put the blame on the AU situation?

Maybe because Wolverine died and never came back, in this world she didn't go through the Hunt for Wolverine storyline (or similar) and they decided to use asian Betsy. Not that I see a real need for this type of approach, but...
    The writer has said she is her Caucasian body so any portrayal of her looking Asian is strictly on the artist, not the AU

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post

I actually like this idea a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    /shrug okay...
    Everyone in that picture literally looks the same, with the same facial structure and everything. So even if people see what they want in Psylocke, and she does look white. Everyone else looks like her, even the dudes. That's just this person's artistic style.
    Kinda like how Art Adams, Alan Davis, Jim Lee, etc. All of their characters look alike. Hell, all the people I draw look alike. Even when I do 3D art, my shit all looks alike.
    2 of those characters in the pic are Asian so yeah To tends to draw his characters looking Asian, including Psylocke. To be honest like I said, I don’t see much difference here than how she was drawn prior to her latest switch.
    Last edited by Havok83; 02-14-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It's just the art. A lot of artists just draw Lee's Psylocke cuz that's what they're used to.

Also you can't be "physically English". Did you mean Caucasian?

Also for the bolded... what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    sigh.

White guys hooking up with Oriental women isn't automatically "yellow fever".
    Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    We haven't even seen this "romance" on page yet and people are already trying to throw fetish terminology on it? Lordt it must be Wednesday.

Quick, someone get some cocoa butter for this stretch!
    I couldn’t agree more with you guys.

This thread is basically why I kept saying Psylocke going back to her Caucasian body was inevitable. If Psylocke was unquestionably in her Asian body the reaction to PsyBlob would be way worse than is now, not that it was terribly positive to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Doesn't really look much different to how Marcus To draws white women to me

Would people say Jean looks asian here?
    Yes. I think the artist is just one of those rare artists who has a tendency to draw characters as looking Asian. Most artists tend to draw Asians as looking White.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    2 of those characters in the pic are Asian so yeah To tends to draw his characters looking Asian, including Psylocke. To be honest like I said, I don’t see much difference here than how she was drawn prior to her latest switch.
    I hear ya. it's not that big of a deal honestly. I expect some things within the first couple years to fluctuate, then steady out over the next couple years.

I hear ya. it's not that big of a deal honestly. I expect some things within the first couple years to fluctuate, then steady out over the next couple years.
    I remember all the recent back and forth in the Psylocke thread over her body change but in retrospect it seems silly bc she is drawn exactly how she was before and that is inconsistent depending on the artist. Her ethnicity seems to be more of a technicality than anything and it doesnt really seem to matter

I remember all the recent back and forth in the Psylocke thread over her body change but in retrospect it seems silly bc she is drawn exactly how she was before and that is inconsistent depending on the artist. Her ethnicity seems to be more of a technicality than anything and it doesnt really seem to matter
    Normally it’d seem like that but with Marvel doing moves to essentially separate her as much as they can from anything Asian to the point of pointlessly changing her psy weapon from a katana to a European style sword and shield, they seem to think differently. At this point, it wouldn’t suprise me if they tried to bury the ninja aspect of her completely and just hope people forget or don’t notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Normally it’d seem like that but with Marvel doing moves to essentially separate her as much as they can from anything Asian to the point of pointlessly changing her psy weapon from a katana to a European style sword and shield, they seem to think differently. At this point, it wouldn’t suprise me if they tried to bury the ninja aspect of her completely and just hope people forget or don’t notice.
    IDA. She still has her psy-blade, which she used in Uncanny and now in AoX. She was experimenting with different psy-weapons prior to the switch (she had a mace, gatling gun, crossbow, among other things). The sword and shield seems to be in line with that. She's still very much a physical fighter, focusing on the melee combat and martial artist skills she gained after becoming a ninja. The lilac hair is the most prominent feature that anything with her is different and even that is not consistent as its been colored dark purple or black with highlights. Betsy is still very much identifiable as the same character thats been written/drawn since the 90s

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Hugh Jackman's wife gets ripped all the time for not being "hot enough" for him.

Back on topic, I thought the artist kind of tipped the scales back and forth between her looking Caucasian and Asian. I've only ever really know the Asian version of Psylocke in 616 so I think that it is what I expect to see on the page and so my mind probably see's things others may not that support what I've known.

Heck I even thought the Ultimate version of Betsy looked Asian and they explicitly said she was English and wrote her with a very English/British voice.
    Yes, she did look Asian on the cover drawn by Adam Kubert and had dark hair in the comics too. I used to frequent Millarworld back then and I think I remember Mark Millar saying that she wasn't supposed to look or be Asian. It was an artistic error.

IDA. She still has her psy-blade, which she used in Uncanny and now in AoX. She was experimenting with different psy-weapons prior to the switch (she had a mace, gatling gun, crossbow, among other things). The sword and shield seems to be in line with that. She's still very much a physical fighter, focusing on the melee combat and martial artist skills she gained after becoming a ninja. The lilac hair is the most prominent feature that anything with her is different and even that is not consistent as its been colored dark purple or black with highlights. Betsy is still very much identifiable as the same character thats been written/drawn since the 90s
    Yea she still has the psy blade but basically every time she was in combat she was using that shield and sword which it’s mighty convenient that the second they switch her back that she’s suddenly prominently using a European style weapon as her most used weapon. While in the past she has used other psy-weapons, they were basically one-offs unlike how prominently she was using this in the story. As for her being physical, being a ninja isn’t the only group that falls into physical fighters and nothing that she did in Disassembled felt particularly ninjalike. Only time will tell how they’ll handle things, but right now, it just feels pretty blatant.

BANNED

Even in the Ultimates the cover she may have lookw Asian, because people associate (Wrongly) Eye type with Asianess. Because Eskimos and other ethnic groups tend to have those same style eyes.
    Also, inside she was drawn better and as looking caucasian. When she went fully Kwannon, she was drawn more properly. Because Asianess is not monolithic. Trust after living in an Asian country for 6 years, not everyone that looks Japanese is, and vice versa.

Even in the Ultimates the cover she may have lookw Asian, because people associate (Wrongly) Eye type with Asianess. Because Eskimos and other ethnic groups tend to have those same style eyes.
    Also, inside she was drawn better and as looking caucasian. When she went fully Kwannon, she was drawn more properly. Because Asianess is not monolithic. Trust after living in an Asian country for 6 years, not everyone that looks Japanese is, and vice versa.
    I thought she looked exactly the same in the book

She looks white to me in those panels.

Psylocke was Asian in the Ultimate Universe. She died and took over the body of a young girl in a coma, Kwannon. Acter Collosus killed her when she was possessed by Proteus. But yeah she looked Asain even before she died. Also Psylocke has not done anything ninja like or martial arts like since she became white again. We have yet to see if she has retained any of the skills she earned throughout the years.

As expected this whole switching her back has convoluted her more and added to the confusion of her story.
    Last edited by Psy; 02-16-2019 at 07:47 AM.