Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Kitty Pryde's Lost Her Charm?

Hi, it's been a while since I've posted. i haven't really ben keeping up with current comics too much.

Kitty Pryde used to be my favorite character in the old school X-Men comics. Especially in those early Claremont storylines. I always related to her. Her geekiness, for me, was part of her charm. She loved comics, playing video games and made pop culture references all the time. Unlike a lot of cliche nerd characters though, she actually owned up to this! It was part of what made her so likable as a character for me. For a while, i was only reading modern X-Men comics for her.

Now, I know for Kitty, part of the appeal was also in her growth. I also feel like her growth has taken away a lot of what made her likable. I mean yeah, t's great to see her mature and take on a strong leadership role but did they really have to take away all of her youthful traits? I mean they could've made her into a grown woman but still an unapologetic nerd. I'm not saying that she should've stayed young but no longer is she the D&D loving, comic reading, lovable geek that made me fall in love with her. In accepting so much responsibility, she's almost become boring.

Am i the only one that feels this way? I'm curious to hear others thoughts.

No I agree with you. The last few years Kitty has been written blatantly out of character. Imo she needs to chill for a bit and then a few years from now, she can play a bigger role and hopefully have more of what made her such a popular character

she lost me when she started throwing around the 'N' word. and, no, i don't give a crap about her reasons. it showed a real lack of empathy and didn't change any hearts or minds.

"Ororo, can I get an N-word pass?"
    "Kitten! Absolutely n--"
    "--Thanks!"
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

ha ha ha sina grace wrote the most charming kitty since the resurrerexion and the x-office is letting him get away
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

50 year old comic writers who are in love with her need her to be as old as they are.

I think Bendis did something to her.

BANNED

Anyway gotta laugh at how Marvel is desperately targeting adolescent and college-aged women and yet with its usual level of competence, the X-Office turns one of their most noteworthy characters in that age range into a middle-aged looking lady whose main plot was getting hitched.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    No I agree with you. The last few years Kitty has been written blatantly out of character. Imo she needs to chill for a bit and then a few years from now, she can play a bigger role and hopefully have more of what made her such a popular character
    I agree. I'd like to see her take a break for a bit then come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    ha ha ha sina grace wrote the most charming kitty since the resurrerexion and the x-office is letting him get away
    What comics does he write her in?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Anyway gotta laugh at how Marvel is desperately targeting adolescent and college-aged women and yet with its usual level of competence, the X-Office turns one of their most noteworthy characters in that age range into a middle-aged looking lady whose main plot was getting hitched.
    It's really a shame. If they aged her up but kept her geeky traits, they could have a really good message about not losing your youth despite growing up. Instead, they've made her into another boring responsible character. Like I said, I get that they want to age her up but they didn't have to take away her best parts.

Gold was terrible for her and a lot of her appearances as leader in other books were, as you said, charmless. Everyone just wrote her as "the leader," not "Kitty, but as the leader."

Extraordinary Member

I think Kitty just sort of lost her spot. She grew up and you can't really expect her to exactly like how she was as a kid.

That being said, her weird little thing with Apocalypse was sort of funny during Dissemble.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Everyone just wrote her as "the leader," not "Kitty, but as the leader."
    Yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think Kitty just sort of lost her spot. She grew up and you can't really expect her to exactly like how she was as a kid.
    But I mean those traits were so ingrained in her, that I wouldn't attribute them to her being a kid so much as them being part of who she is. She loved computers at a time when they were just becoming mainstream, so it makes sense that she'd be a geek.

I remember reading one of the newer Guardian comics and she said something along the lines of "I'm the type of girl to sip tea, watching Audrey Hepburn movies..." and I'm like what? That's not who she is at all.

The last couple of years have been rough but she's still salvageable.

BANNED

Gerry Duggan wrote her nerdy without making her a kid.

Guggs ruined her. I still liked her under Bendis and Aaron