Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Dang. Kitty changed hands from Bendis-era to Guggs-era and the fanbase turns.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Gerry Duggan wrote her nerdy without making her a kid.
    "Pretending I'm the Mother of Dragons"? That's honestly great. Yeah see I want more of that kind of Kitty. Mature but still in touch with her geek roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Guggs ruined her. I still liked her under Bendis and Aaron
    I actually liked Aaron's take on Kitty. The problem with his take though was that it contrasted severely with how everyone else was writing her at the time. I thought he did a good job of presenting her in a comical, self-deprecating way.

BANNED

Aaron’s Kitty was just Iceman’s doting housewife.

She was still fun, something she hasnt been in quite some time

I can kind of see that. It's been a while since I read the run but I remember liking that he didn't make her take herself so seriously. Something I liked. I even remember her having a Twitter account around that time, as with the other members of the team, where her comments reminded me of classic Kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She was still fun, something she hasnt been in quite some time
    Yup.

Honestly though, who can blame her? I mean out of many of our mainstay characters few have put up with as much life altering garbage that she has. Sure everyone's had their big drama, but Kitty just seemed to have it back to back to back from all sorts of different angles rather than the same issues resurfacing. Not to mention every time she tries to pull away she gets yanked back in to saving the world.

She can't be the cutiepie nerdkid forever. Does she need to calm down a bit? Yeah absolutely... but I guess I'm one of the few that chalks it up to PTSD.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Honestly though, who can blame her? I mean out of many of our mainstay characters few have put up with as much life altering garbage that she has. Sure everyone's had their big drama, but Kitty just seemed to have it back to back to back from all sorts of different angles rather than the same issues resurfacing. Not to mention every time she tries to pull away she gets yanked back in to saving the world.

She can't be the cutiepie nerdkid forever. Does she need to calm down a bit? Yeah absolutely... but I guess I'm one of the few that chalks it up to PTSD.
    Yeah, I can see this.

But she was so hopeful before! The way I see it now, she's simply a product of the "loss of innocence" trope.

I went back and read Meckanix and they really emphasized her therapy in that story when she was going to the University of Chicago. That was a long while back, but I kind of liked that Disassembled played Kitty against Apocalypse it was an interesting way of portraying the angel and the devil on his shoulder. I am really looking forward to X-Tracts a lot, I can't wait to see where that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I went back and read Meckanix and they really emphasized her therapy in that story when she was going to the University of Chicago. That was a long while back, but I kind of liked that Disassembled played Kitty against Apocalypse it was an interesting way of portraying the angel and the devil on his shoulder. I am really looking forward to X-Tracts a lot, I can't wait to see where that goes.
    Yes, actually I was thinking of Meckanix as one of those moments where she tried to "just be Kitty" and ended up trying to save the world whether she liked it or not.

Honestly I think the best "root Kitty" we've seen in the last 30 years has been Astonishing 1-24 when Whedon was writing. I mean he obviously has a fanboy love affair with her, but he wrote her with that hopefulness while not forgetting the girl had been through a lot. I'm guessing it's that true pivot point for her character that made her completely "grow up" and face death seriously. I mean what else do you do when you're trapped in a bullet hurling through space?

BANNED

Whedon is responsible for every Kitty story being about her love life.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Meckanix was great! It really laid the foundation for Kitty to have a prosperous future. Sadly, I feel like most writers failed to hop on that momentum.

Honestly I think the best "root Kitty" we've seen in the last 30 years has been Astonishing 1-24 when Whedon was writing. I mean he obviously has a fanboy love affair with her, but he wrote her with that hopefulness while not forgetting the girl had been through a lot. I'm guessing it's that true pivot point for her character that made her completely "grow up" and face death seriously. I mean what else do you do when you're trapped in a bullet hurling through space?
    I don't know, I wasn't a big fan of Whedon's run, and especially didn't like his Kitty. Given the serious tone of that run, I think there was potential to have Kitty be the heart and humor of the title. While I can't deny that Whedon tried to do that, I feel like he failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Whedon is responsible for every Kitty story being about her love life.
    That was another problem I had with the run. The idea of Kitty being the POV character again is really exciting, but ruined early by having Piotr return.

I don't think Kitty Pryde has lost her charm, per se. But I do think she has lost a lot of her credibility. A big part of that is due to what she did to Colossus at their wedding in X-Men Gold #30. That was just beyond reprehensible. She was the one who proposed to him. She was the one who led him on, rekindling their relationship and recapturing that love that once made them one of the best couples in all of X-Men. Then, for reasons that still don't make sense, she calls it off at the last minute, breaking Colossus' heart and doing it in front of all their friends. I just can't respect a character, fictional or otherwise, who does something like that to someone they claim to love.

Kitty is still a great leader, but the way that wedding was handled makes it hard to really root for her. I feel like nobody is really cheering her on anymore. She's not the leader of the X-Men. She's that callous woman who broke Colossus' heart. Until she finds a way to redeem herself, I think she doesn't deserve to be in the upper echelons of the X-Men.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I don't think Kitty Pryde has lost her charm, per se. But I do think she has lost a lot of her credibility. A big part of that is due to what she did to Colossus at their wedding in X-Men Gold #30. That was just beyond reprehensible. She was the one who proposed to him. She was the one who led him on, rekindling their relationship and recapturing that love that once made them one of the best couples in all of X-Men. Then, for reasons that still don't make sense, she calls it off at the last minute, breaking Colossus' heart and doing it in front of all their friends. I just can't respect a character, fictional or otherwise, who does something like that to someone they claim to love.

Kitty is still a great leader, but the way that wedding was handled makes it hard to really root for her. I feel like nobody is really cheering her on anymore. She's not the leader of the X-Men. She's that callous woman who broke Colossus' heart. Until she finds a way to redeem herself, I think she doesn't deserve to be in the upper echelons of the X-Men.
    I am so glad they broke Kitty and Colossus up. It was crappy the way they did it, but I am glad they broke them up. (lol, I still ship Rachel and Kitty after all these years). I would love to see them do something new and refreshing when it comes to Kitty when she gets back from AoXM. Heck I would be happy if she got a stint on the Avengers like Wolverine does all the time, she is a dynamic character and it might be interesting to see her branch out past the X-men, especially if they decided to try doing Uncanny Avengers again when the AoXM people return.

Fantastic Member

probably the diaper costume