Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kitty Pryde's Lost Her Charm?

Hi, it's been a while since I've posted. i haven't really ben keeping up with current comics too much.

Kitty Pryde used to be my favorite character in the old school X-Men comics. Especially in those early Claremont storylines. I always related to her. Her geekiness, for me, was part of her charm. She loved comics, playing video games and made pop culture references all the time. Unlike a lot of cliche nerd characters though, she actually owned up to this! It was part of what made her so likable as a character for me. For a while, i was only reading modern X-Men comics for her.

Now, I know for Kitty, part of the appeal was also in her growth. I also feel like her growth has taken away a lot of what made her likable. I mean yeah, t's great to see her mature and take on a strong leadership role but did they really have to take away all of her youthful traits? I mean they could've made her into a grown woman but still an unapologetic nerd. I'm not saying that she should've stayed young but no longer is she the D&D loving, comic reading, lovable geek that made me fall in love with her. In accepting so much responsibility, she's almost become boring.

Am i the only one that feels this way? I'm curious to hear others thoughts.

No I agree with you. The last few years Kitty has been written blatantly out of character. Imo she needs to chill for a bit and then a few years from now, she can play a bigger role and hopefully have more of what made her such a popular character

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Kitty is one of my favorite characters and has been since I started reading in the 80's. Like the OP said, I was a nerd too and even looked like her, average size and build, curly brown hair and glasses and the love of all things nerdy. Even the humor I could relate to. Didn't like what I've read of Gold and am mixed on Bendis. There were times I thought she sounded like herself and other times she did stuff that seem OOC. I really want her pony tail gone though and want her curls/waves back. And give her her Shadowcat name back and a new costume. That said, I hold out hope that Kitty can be repaired and become an interesting character again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    The last few years Kitty has been written blatantly out of character.
    Who hasn't been, really?

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    I remember reading one of the newer Guardian comics and she said something along the lines of "I'm the type of girl to sip tea, watching Audrey Hepburn movies..." and I'm like what? That's not who she is at all.
    Wait, what? Are they trying to make her more trendy or something?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Wait, what? Are they trying to make her more trendy or something?

^That whole sentence is cracking me up. 'Drinking tea gosh darn it' lmao. Was that Bendis? I actually thought he was solid at writing Kitty but that's a yikes. Kitty's problem is she's a whole bunch of writer's waifu so the moment they start writing her, they pair her up with their self insert and that becomes her entire storyline. Her strictness tho is pure Guggs tho

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    ^That whole sentence is cracking me up. 'Drinking tea gosh darn it' lmao. Was that Bendis? I actually thought he was solid at writing Kitty but that's a yikes. Kitty's problem is she's a whole bunch of writer's waifu so the moment they start writing her, they pair her up with their self insert and that becomes her entire storyline. Her strictness tho is pure Guggs tho
    Sam Humphries wrote that.

Hepburn movies are character development. Like Spencer giving Spider-Man his HBO Go account.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Good lord! That's a travesty. Since when does she hate space? What nerd doesn't love it? She loved the Shiar stuff and would play with it constantly. So much so Kurt would always lose his **** laughing. Unless it's in reference to the bullet.

Well that's ok thar, little lady.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Good lord! That's a travesty. Since when does she hate space? What nerd doesn't love it? She loved the Shiar stuff and would play with it constantly. So much so Kurt would always lose his **** laughing. Unless it's in reference to the bullet.

Well that's ok thar, little lady.
    It's in reference to the bullet.

she lost me when she started throwing around the 'N' word. and, no, i don't give a crap about her reasons. it showed a real lack of empathy and didn't change any hearts or minds.

"Ororo, can I get an N-word pass?"
    "Kitten! Absolutely n--"
    "--Thanks!"

ha ha ha sina grace wrote the most charming kitty since the resurrerexion and the x-office is letting him get away

BANNED

50 year old comic writers who are in love with her need her to be as old as they are.

I think Bendis did something to her.

BANNED

Anyway gotta laugh at how Marvel is desperately targeting adolescent and college-aged women and yet with its usual level of competence, the X-Office turns one of their most noteworthy characters in that age range into a middle-aged looking lady whose main plot was getting hitched.