Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A Green Arrow crossover/team-up series. Ever issue features a different character Ollie has to deal with. Make it a fun, wild ride every step of the way. Kind of like the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoons, or those Batman Unlimited DTVs, only you know, with Green Arrow as the starring character.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind Green Arrow doing one long space adventure. Seriously, Robin Hood meets Lost in Space, that's something that I don't think has been done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    So would you send Green Arrow back in time? Or are you talking about an Elseworlds series?
    I’d start using the multiverse for what I assumed would be one of its major strengths...putting selected heroes on worlds more suited to them.

Put Ollie on Earth X (pick a number of your own choice), and maybe once every so often let him visit Earth 1, Earth 2, etc.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I’d start using the multiverse for what I assumed would be one of its major strengths...putting selected heroes on worlds more suited to them.

Put Ollie on Earth X (pick a number of your own choice), and maybe once every so often let him visit Earth 1, Earth 2, etc.
    nice idea - i've only read about 12 issues of warlord but how awesome was that book. Doing something like that with GA could be really good - or in Kamandi era. Something something time portal and bang you're straight in the game. Anything but more GA as SJW - it looked ridiculous in 1970 (although well meaning) and it's even more silly now - I'm not surprised Roy ended up a junkie - it must have been like a constant acid trip having your guardian dress up like robin of sherwood every day.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    [Green Arrow] enlist[s] a growing supporting cast of reformed criminals, victims, orphans, etc. so that he can live up to his Robin Hood theme without being so explicit and oratory about it. I'd still have him travel to other countries as well.

This has been done before? When? This honestly Is the best idea in this entire thread, in my opinion, so I would be surprised that it hasn't been done before.

I liked the low-level mysticism introduced in Lemire/Sorrentino's run so I'd do more with that.

I liked K.Jones's ideas for having Ollie be a Hunter going after a target.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-14-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    A Green Arrow crossover/team-up series. Ever issue features a different character Ollie has to deal with. Make it a fun, wild ride every step of the way. Kind of like the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoons, or those Batman Unlimited DTVs, only you know, with Green Arrow as the starring character.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind Green Arrow doing one long space adventure. Seriously, Robin Hood meets Lost in Space, that's something that I don't think has been done before.
    So kind of like an extended version of the recent GA: Hard Traveling Hero arc? I definitely wouldn’t mind something like that.

My Idea For a Green Arrow Run:

My Green Arrow would take Oliver Queen back to his gritty, minimalistic Mike Grell roots wherein he is a seasoned veteran of his field. Alas, while that run was more or less self contained, my run would make Queen arguably the most important character in the DC Universe centering him in the forefront of the inner workings and international politics of the DCU; Think Doomsday Clock or 52 in an ongoing format. The setting would rotate every story arc or one shot, to fully explore the themes of how the presence of superheroes would change everyday life and governance.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 02-16-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'd have Ollie going back to his 'urban hunter' roots.
    Green Arrow works better as a Seattle (or Star City) hero.
    He is NOT a lone wolf. He has his support network with Connor, Dinah, Mia and Roy.
    He is also NOT an arsehole. Yes, he's flawed. He hasn't been a great mentor, partner or father, but he strives to be better.
    I'd have him operating in the city, fighting organised crime, the odd supervillain and doing the odd government job as well.
    Roy would be a high level member of Checkmate and Connor again, one of the top martial artists in the DCU.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

I kinda like the current direction on Arrow, with Oliver working with the police. But I feel that its not a status quo that will really be explored all that much on the show. So maybe it'd be worth exploring in the comics.

The arc would start with Oliver being exposed as the Green Arrow. This being the DCU and by no means the more 'realistic' Arrowverse, Oliver avoids jail-time but he can no longer operate as a vigilante. That's when he's given a deal by the Seattle police department - become a deputized officer of the law. Oliver reluctantly agrees, seeing this as a way to continue fighting the good fight.

But unlike on the show, the comic would really explore the ramifications of Oliver becoming a cop. For starters, Oliver faces the dichotomy of being a liberal opposed to 'the man' and a crusader against a corrupt system - except now he's an agent of that system, committed to maintaining law and order at all costs. Sections of the public who viewed Green Arrow as a hero now turn against him because he's become just another 'pig'.

Oliver also wants to focus on protecting under-policed area and introducing community policing initiatives. But his superiors want him to work high-profile cases or to run security for VIP's. Oliver also starts training cops in self-defence and supplying them with new non-lethal weapons based on his trick arrows. But then some of the cops he train use their superior training and tech to take police brutality to the next level. Not to mention, Oliver gets accused of perpetrating police brutality of his own - and he has to introspect and confront the fact that he does many of the same things he used to rail against the 'blue fascists' for.

I think there's a LOT of potential in this status quo.

Cast of Characters:

Throughout my run, Green Arrow would come across a multitude of international heroes, especially in relation to teams introduced in the Doomsday Clock miniseries: the Great Twenty, Knights Inc., Hayoth, The Outsiders, The People's Heroes, Justice League Europe, etcetera

As for supporting characters, Emiko Queen as Red Arrow and Mia Dearden as Blue Shriken as Oliver Queen's Batman and Robin.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 02-17-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Okay, so this would be a big gamble, but it's not my money so why not?

"Arrow & Canary. (or whatever; title doesn't matter)" By Mark Russel and Chris Samnee (or people sorta kinda like them). The book that'll offend you and everyone else!

The industry, DC especially, works hard to be apolitical, and with good reason. So make Ollie's book the exception, and go in hard on it. Tackle current events and politics and social issues. And voice those debates through the arguments Ollie has with John Diggle. Ollie's the knee-jerk liberal, John's the traditional conservative. Make sure neither of them just toe the political line and ensure that they're on the other side concerning a few topics, and make both of them disgusted with their own political party. Make sure that both Ollie and John get a "win" over the other occasionally, but usually no one convinces the other. Make them both have good points, and also a few opinions that are just dumb and hypocritical. Subversive and offensive by intent, but being fair handed with it. Ollie and John should be likable despite both being jackasses when it comes to politics.

And go retro with the style, like Samnee's Daredevil and Captain America. Golden Age inspired in art layout, to the point stylistically and narratively, with no padding. Each issue stands alone but contributes to a larger plotline that's wrapped up in time for the trade.

So here's the set up. Ollie works "officially" as a bounty hunter. Widely recognized as the best hunter on earth, Ollie goes after the FBI's most wanted and other criminals the law is looking for, does tons of pro bono work (mostly pro bono, actually), and has targets of his own as well; corrupt politicians and businessmen, the usual type of SJW target. He's not affiliated with the League or the heroic community at all, outside of Dinah and Hal. He and his support crew, consisting of Diggle, Emi, Roy, and....a guy in the chair (not Felicity, but whoever else) travel the globe helping out and stalking villains and exposing corruption within the system, making just enough money from bounties and raids to stay in business, and if there's anything left over it goes to the needy. Dinah is the lead singer of the Black Canary band, moonlights with the League and other hero teams, and she and Ollie are recently married (again). Since they both travel, they don't always spend a ton of time together and get plenty of "solo" plotlines.

Ollie's the minimalist hunter, no silly trick arrows or bright green tights, everything low-tech and functional except the bow. That should be high end, "military prototype" types of advanced, but not quite into the realm of "pure sci-fi." A few trick arrows, like explosives or net (not as silly as MCU Hawkeye), would be used but no boxing glove arrows (sorry). Dinah's arguably the greatest martial artist alive, excepting maybe Shiva and Richard Dragon, and would use her powers in more creative ways than just "big area of effect" cones. Whistling like bullets, mimicking someone's voice......there's a lot more her scream could do than just "bring down this building."

And the hook to get people to issue #2 and beyond.....Dinah just found out she's pregnant.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Globetrotting Oliver Queen and Black Canary. Have the pair of them travel around the world facing local villains. You can touch on current social and political problems are well like environmental destruction, gentrification, growing authoritarianism, ect.

Not really a pitch but I wouldn't mind seeing Greg Weisman or Garth Ennis doing a Green arrow Earth one run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Okay, so this would be a big gamble, but it's not my money so why not?

"Arrow & Canary. (or whatever; title doesn't matter)" By Mark Russel and Chris Samnee (or people sorta kinda like them). The book that'll offend you and everyone else!

The industry, DC especially, works hard to be apolitical, and with good reason. So make Ollie's book the exception, and go in hard on it. Tackle current events and politics and social issues. And voice those debates through the arguments Ollie has with John Diggle. Ollie's the knee-jerk liberal, John's the traditional conservative. Make sure neither of them just toe the political line and ensure that they're on the other side concerning a few topics, and make both of them disgusted with their own political party. Make sure that both Ollie and John get a "win" over the other occasionally, but usually no one convinces the other. Make them both have good points, and also a few opinions that are just dumb and hypocritical. Subversive and offensive by intent, but being fair handed with it. Ollie and John should be likable despite both being jackasses when it comes to politics.

And go retro with the style, like Samnee's Daredevil and Captain America. Golden Age inspired in art layout, to the point stylistically and narratively, with no padding. Each issue stands alone but contributes to a larger plotline that's wrapped up in time for the trade.

So here's the set up. Ollie works "officially" as a bounty hunter. Widely recognized as the best hunter on earth, Ollie goes after the FBI's most wanted and other criminals the law is looking for, does tons of pro bono work (mostly pro bono, actually), and has targets of his own as well; corrupt politicians and businessmen, the usual type of SJW target. He's not affiliated with the League or the heroic community at all, outside of Dinah and Hal. He and his support crew, consisting of Diggle, Emi, Roy, and....a guy in the chair (not Felicity, but whoever else) travel the globe helping out and stalking villains and exposing corruption within the system, making just enough money from bounties and raids to stay in business, and if there's anything left over it goes to the needy. Dinah is the lead singer of the Black Canary band, moonlights with the League and other hero teams, and she and Ollie are recently married (again). Since they both travel, they don't always spend a ton of time together and get plenty of "solo" plotlines.

Ollie's the minimalist hunter, no silly trick arrows or bright green tights, everything low-tech and functional except the bow. That should be high end, "military prototype" types of advanced, but not quite into the realm of "pure sci-fi." A few trick arrows, like explosives or net (not as silly as MCU Hawkeye), would be used but no boxing glove arrows (sorry). Dinah's arguably the greatest martial artist alive, excepting maybe Shiva and Richard Dragon, and would use her powers in more creative ways than just "big area of effect" cones. Whistling like bullets, mimicking someone's voice......there's a lot more her scream could do than just "bring down this building."

And the hook to get people to issue #2 and beyond.....Dinah just found out she's pregnant.
    Nice.

Why the minimalism approach to his hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Nice.
    Thanks.

Why the minimalism approach to his hunting?
    Grell.

I figure, it's a way to help separate Ollie from the crowd. While most powerless/street level heroes are all about the tech, all Ollie has is a good bow, his wits, grit, and the skills he learned on the island. I think it also creates a little less dissonance in his character; he's using a low-tech weapon (no matter how advanced, a bow will always be low tech compared to firearms, in the minds of readers if nothing else) so he shouldn't have a bunch of high-tech gear offsetting that design choice. It also forces more emphasis on his natural ability and skills as a hunter. If he doesn't have a fancy tracking device to follow the bad guy, he's gotta follow the trail old-school, and that plays into the "urban ranger/modern Robin Hood" vibes that're central to Ollie's themes and tones.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Thanks.

Grell.

I figure, it's a way to help separate Ollie from the crowd. While most powerless/street level heroes are all about the tech, all Ollie has is a good bow, his wits, grit, and the skills he learned on the island. I think it also creates a little less dissonance in his character; he's using a low-tech weapon (no matter how advanced, a bow will always be low tech compared to firearms, in the minds of readers if nothing else) so he shouldn't have a bunch of high-tech gear offsetting that design choice. It also forces more emphasis on his natural ability and skills as a hunter. If he doesn't have a fancy tracking device to follow the bad guy, he's gotta follow the trail old-school, and that plays into the "urban ranger/modern Robin Hood" vibes that're central to Ollie's themes and tones.

Not a fan of this. It was okay when Grell but it doesn’t need to be emulated. In a world full of magic, aliens and metahumans he needs something to give him an edge over the competition. The kinda thing only works if the fantastical stuff doesn’t exist in his world. Him fighting crime bosses, corrupted officials, etc would get boring after a while. This is all my opinion of course.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K