Thread: Blackhawk

Incredible Member

Default Blackhawk

Blackhawk has had its ups and downs since it launched at Quality. I wish there was a bigger market for the character(s). Their costumes heroes era was probably the low point. I’d like to see more collections of the material made available.

First, I’d like to see the run by Evanier released in trade.

Others interested? What would you like to see collected?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

My experience with the Blackhawk franchise mainly consists of me reading the Mike Grell stories in Action Comics Weekly, which were terrific.

I wasn't a fan of the Chaykin miniseries however.

entries from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. II (April 1985):

and the Mark Evanier run was a good one!

Retired

Reed Crandall was one of the all time great comics artists. His work on Blackhawk deserves to be collected, but other than the one ARCHIVES volume, most of it never has.

If/when the Spielberg film materializes, I believe you will see a number of Blackhawk trades released. I'd guess a Silver Age omnibus volume collecting most of the material that was in the Essential volume this time in color, the Evanier/Spiegle run, the Chaykin mini and likely the late 80s material (the serial from Action Comics Weekly and the short lived ongoing afterwards that featured work from the likes of Rich Burchett and others). Until then, I don't think the property has a high enough profile to succeed in trades.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Has anyone read the Blackhawk prose novel that came out the last time DC tried to raise the profile of Blackhawk in the wake of a potential movie...

I found it at a con last February.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Ultimate Member

I have the Chaykin mini, but I'm not sure if it was ever collected in trade?

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Wish DC would collect the Mark Evanier-Dan Spiegel run in a Omnibus.

blackhawk251.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I wish there was a bigger market for the character(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    If/when the Spielberg film materializes, I believe you will see a number of Blackhawk trades released.
    Yeah probably the trades, and even the film will get a re-release.

While you'll get mostly blank stares and indifference now, once the Spielberg (him and Lucas were huge fans of the serials) movie takes off, most everyone including the pop social media sites and shows, who never mention Blackhawk(s) their significance, or in any context, will suddenly jump on like they were always fans. LOL

Last edited by Güicho; 02-15-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Retired

I can't say I really liked the Chaykin Blackhawk--although the art was great--but it did revive the group so Marty Pasko and Rick Burchett could do more with them in the regular comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I can't say I really liked the Chaykin Blackhawk--although the art was great--but it did revive the group so Marty Pasko and Rick Burchett could do more with them in the regular comics.
    Chaykin's three-issue series revising the Blackhawks was published starting in late 1987.

DC's revised entries for the Blackhawks were in Who's Who Update '88 Vol. 1 (August 1988).

I like their appearance in the JL 'Savage Time' two parter. Wish Zinda or Natalie was included in it.

Retired

I quite liked Martin Pasko and Rick Burchett's treatment of Blackhawk--even though it was built off of the Chaykin rewrite of the character and it took place after W.W. II.