Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

i hope not,because i think this is really out of character(though this story only happens in elseworld,but most people didn't care about that.....),oppositely,i hope superman ending battle could animated,we have superman vs the eilte,and superman ending battle story is a perfect end/sequel for this story also a good show for superman values/virtues
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    So much hate for an awesome elseworlds story (imo)
    Injustice is possibly the most influential take on Superman in pop culture these days, which is an absolute mess. The game posits the only difference between Superman and a child-murdering, psychotic, paranoid, delusional fascist is Joker's proverbial "one bad day," never mind that both the destruction of a city and the apparent death of Lois Lane have been suffered by the comics' Superman on one occasion or another. The fact that originally it takes the Real Superman to defeat the Regime Superman is neutered by this ludicrous claim of moral fragility from the Man of Tomorrow.

Even worse is that the absurd idea that losing Lois could turn Superman evil has taken hold in pop culture, from Superman claiming he doesn't know whether he could choose between saving the world or saving Lois in the Supergirl TV show (spoilers from Superman the Movie from 40 whole years ago: he picks the world) to Batman's nightmare sequence in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. That's a very toxic idea which hurts both Lois and Superman as characters, removing her more unique characteristics like her fierce independence in favor of making her merely an external morality holder, and making Superman into someone whose morals are only good if his life is going perfect, which is of course insane.

In reality, there's literally a version of Superman raised by Hitler who's more likable and sympathetic than the Regime Superman from the games!

Plus, the games' version of Batman can apparently do no wrong, which always really bugs me. It's not all bad. I love the Injustice take on Harley Quinn!
    Last edited by Adekis; 02-13-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Kon93

Isn't there videos on YouTube of all the story parts of the game combined? That's probably as close as we will get

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Considering the game itself is more or less a animated feature I don't see the point of converting it to an animated film.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Injustice is possibly the most influential take on Superman in pop culture these days, which is an absolute mess. The game posits the only difference between Superman and a child-murdering, psychotic, paranoid, delusional fascist is Joker's proverbial "one bad day," never mind that both the destruction of a city and the apparent death of Lois Lane have been suffered by the comics' Superman on one occasion or another. The fact that originally it takes the Real Superman to defeat the Regime Superman is neutered by this ludicrous claim of moral fragility from the Man of Tomorrow.

Even worse is that the absurd idea that losing Lois could turn Superman evil has taken hold in pop culture, from Superman claiming he doesn't know whether he could choose between saving the world or saving Lois in the Supergirl TV show (spoilers from Superman the Movie from 40 whole years ago: he picks the world) to Batman's nightmare sequence in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. That's a very toxic idea which hurts both Lois and Superman as characters, removing her more unique characteristics like her fierce independence in favor of making her merely an external morality holder, and making Superman into someone whose morals are only good if his life is going perfect, which is of course insane.

In reality, there's literally a version of Superman raised by Hitler who's more likable and sympathetic than the Regime Superman from the games!

Plus, the games' version of Batman can apparently do no wrong, which always really bugs me. It's not all bad. I love the Injustice take on Harley Quinn!

If we go by just the games, then yeah, Batman is a Saint there, and Superman the absolute devil that murdered Billy Batson in cold blood just because he opposed him
    But what I actually love from Injustice as a whole, is the whole depth that Taylor added to it in his comics

Yeah, Superman had one really really (x100) bad day, but he didnt change into the monster we saw from the game just by that
    What really changed him for the worse, was not only Metropolis and Lois Death, or him murdering the Joker, but his continous struggle with Batman Insurgence
    If Batman had been a real friend, and just understood what Clark went through, everything could have ended well in a way, but that wasnt the case
    He decided to turn his back on him, directly oppose him at every instance he had, and even do really really shady things to turn the tide of the battle on his favor (which he had been called for numerous times not only from the Regime as a whole, but from his own allies as well)

After 5 years of **** going on with no indication of ever stopping, I can see how Superman became what he is now (not that I excuse it, as the murder of the whole Joker Fan Club, and of Billy Batson, are the most henious things he had ever done, which he cant ever get forgiveness from)

Leaving those things aside though, I find your point of Injustice being the most influential take of Superman (unfortunately), perfectly valid
    It kind of gives new readers, or the casual public, not the best image or concept of Superman and what he represents, in favor of well.. the fascist :P

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This. This is what I wish people would get when they say that the Supergirl Superman is being treated unfairly. Superman losing it when Lois dies is a weakness and a fallacy that makes him look bad. Just suggesting he would lose it if he lost her is a problem in and of itself. He's the most powerful man on Earth. He doesn't get to just "lose it" one day. He doesn't get to break as easily as the rest of us. He was taught that his whole life. This is why I much rather prefer the KC response to losing Lois. He just cuts himself off from the world. It's not ideal but it's better than gong on some killing spree. The Harley interpretation was the one thing that bothered me the most. Harley helped blow up Metropolis. There's no way she's running around free after that. No matter how popular she is in the real world. This is the Wolverine/Lobo fight all over again. Lobo is a Superman level villain. All the healing factor in the world doesn't make any difference in comparison to that.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This. This is what I wish people would get when they say that the Supergirl Superman is being treated unfairly. Superman losing it when Lois dies is a weakness and a fallacy that makes him look bad. Just suggesting he would lose it if he lost her is a problem in and of itself. He's the most powerful man on Earth. He doesn't get to just "lose it" one day. He doesn't get to break as easily as the rest of us. He was taught that his whole life. This is why I much rather prefer the KC response to losing Lois. He just cuts himself off from the world. It's not ideal but it's better than gong on some killing spree. The Harley interpretation was the one thing that bothered me the most. Harley helped blow up Metropolis. There's no way she's running around free after that. No matter how popular she is in the real world. This is the Wolverine/Lobo fight all over again. Lobo is a Superman level villain. All the healing factor in the world doesn't make any difference in comparison to that.
    The Kingdom Come interpretation is just as bad. Because really it is Magog's acceptance by the public and the rejection of Superman that results in his exile. Lois really wasn't the direct cause there either.

Ending Battle is the only good take on that type of storyline (which is played out to begin with). He'd take care of her, then hunt down the person responsible and make sure they were locked up. Then keep doing what he's always done. Because to do anything otherwise, whether it's quit or go nuts, would dishonor her memory. Lois in Kingdom Come and Injustice would loath what he became in either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The Kingdom Come interpretation is just as bad. Because really it is Magog's acceptance by the public and the rejection of Superman that results in his exile. Lois really wasn't the direct cause there either.

Ending Battle is the only good take on that type of storyline (which is played out to begin with). He'd take care of her, then hunt down the person responsible and make sure they were locked up. Then keep doing what he's always done. Because to do anything otherwise, whether it's quit or go nuts, would dishonor her memory. Lois in Kingdom Come and Injustice would loath what he became in either.
    I agree with everything you just said. I'm not a huge fan of Kingdom Come, I basically see Superman's decision to pull his support and protection from Earth because they had the gall to be okay with the death of the world's worst serial killer as being... well, not something Superman would do. It demonstrates a total lack of understanding of human emotions, or worse just an unwillingness to engage with them. It's as though he says "fine, if the people of Earth don't let me arbitrarily dictate the standards of morality for all time (never mind the villains I've killed myself) then let's see how they like it if I just let them go to hell." It's childish and irresponsible.

Ending Battle is so weird, because it almost seems like a response to Injustice's overblown toxic influence, but obviously it came out over a decade beforehand.

This. This is what I wish people would get when they say that the Supergirl Superman is being treated unfairly. Superman losing it when Lois dies is a weakness and a fallacy that makes him look bad. Just suggesting he would lose it if he lost her is a problem in and of itself. He's the most powerful man on Earth. He doesn't get to just "lose it" one day. He doesn't get to break as easily as the rest of us. He was taught that his whole life.
    Yeah, I agree with most of that.

I mean it's not that Superman's not allowed to be vulnerable after suffering a loss, it's not that he's not allowed to break down and cry if he has to. No, it's that it's just completely and utterly not in his nature to become a fascist, decide to kill all legally imprisoned and safely contained criminals, and take over the whole world with just his brute strength! "Allowed" doesn't really come into it - Superman just wouldn't do that. He's the champion of the oppressed, and there's no way Regime Superman doesn't know he's an oppressor. Also, to point out another painful piece of misunderstanding a character, neither would Wonder Woman try to convince him to do it.
    Last edited by Adekis; 02-14-2019 at 10:46 AM.

I agree with everything you just said. I'm not a huge fan of Kingdom Come, I basically see Superman's decision to pull his support and protection from Earth because they had the gall to be okay with the death of the world's worst serial killer as being... well, not something Superman would do. It demonstrates a total lack of understanding of human emotions, or worse just an unwillingness to engage with them. It's as though he says "fine, if the people of Earth don't let me arbitrarily dictate the standards of morality for all time (never mind the villains I've killed myself) then let's see how they like it if I just let them go to hell." It's childish and irresponsible.

Ending Battle is so weird, because it almost seems like a response to Injustice's overblown toxic influence, but obviously it came out over a decade beforehand.
    I am not a fan of Kingdom Come either, both for the story and I've never really like Alex Ross's art. I also think Kingdom Come is a lot like Watchmen. People look at the surface elements and emulate those but don't recognize the critique underneath. Waid's said himself people have taken the wrong lessons from that story, it's a cautionary tale where everything goes wrong, not a possible future.

Ending Battle is a weirdly presenescent counter to Injustice. I think it would be better remembered if it was more self contained and had more consistent art and writing. It's very steeped in the continuity of that time though and the art is kinda off in a few chapters. I'd like to see a streamlined animated take on that story than any type of Kingdom Come or Injustice take.

This is my first time hearing about it, what's Ending Battle?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    This is my first time hearing about it, what's Ending Battle?
    It was a storyline in the main Superman books in the 2000's. Geoff Johns gets the credit for it, but I think there were a lot of other writers involved. Superman's secret identity gets found out by some villains and things go predictably bad. Without to many spoilers, it basically has the villian targeting all his friends and family before ultimately going after Lois. It builds to an Injustice type situation.

https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...-ending-battle
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-14-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I didn't say it was necessarily a GOOD response, it was just a better response than taking over the world as a dictator. I'd rather have him out of the picture than taking his anger out on the rest of the world. And Magog was embraced by the public. So it was more him taking the hint and going away thinking that's what people wanted of him.
    Assassinate Putin!

It was a storyline in the main Superman books in the 2000's. Geoff Johns gets the credit for it, but I think there were a lot of other writers involved. Superman's secret identity gets found out by some villains and things go predictably bad. Without to many spoilers, it basically has the villian targeting all his friends and family before ultimately going after Lois. It builds to an Injustice type situation.

https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...-ending-battle
    Hey, Manchester Black, I didn't know he got used again after Superman vs The Elite.
    Sounds interesting, but you mentioned it was kind of steeped in the then current continuity, so doesn't sound new reader friendly. Would you still recommend it, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Hey, Manchester Black, I didn't know he got used again after Superman vs The Elite.
    Sounds interesting, but you mentioned it was kind of steeped in the then current continuity, so doesn't sound new reader friendly. Would you still recommend it, or not?
    Yes. If you’re familiar with Superman vs. the Elite you should be alright. What I meant by that was like some plot points are based around Luthor being president or the B13 virus upgrading Metropolis. It’s mostly background stuff. Not like it really references much outside of itself except the events of Action 775 which is what Superman v. The Elite adapted. It's essentially a sequel to that story. It’s not as new reader friendly as something stand alone obviously, but it’s pretty accessible.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-14-2019 at 11:35 AM.

I didn't say it was necessarily a GOOD response, it was just a better response than taking over the world as a dictator. I'd rather have him out of the picture than taking his anger out on the rest of the world. And Magog was embraced by the public. So it was more him taking the hint and going away thinking that's what people wanted of him.
    I fundamentally reject the idea that Superman would be so upset that the Joker's killer was acquitted that he quits for twenty years. Like I said, that take just fundamentally shows a misunderstanding of humanity on Superman's part, and probably a misunderstanding of morality on Mark Waid's part as well. And Superman, unlike what Waid thinks, doesn't really need public support to do his work. Nobody asked him to put on the clothes of a long-dead civilization to leap over buildings, to race against speeding bullets, hoping against hope to stop crimes and disasters in progress. He does it because he can do things other people can't and because he wants to help, not because he likes when people like him and listen to his moral standard.