Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I mean, it could but the real question is: should it?

There’s some stupid stuff in Superman’s history that easily overshadows the stupid stuff in Batman’s. Do we really want “Clark makes a machine that turns Lois Lane into a black woman“ or ”the Superhorse is horny for Supergirl” to count?
    Any story you don't like was caused by Superboy-Prime having a hissy fit and retcon punching bestiality into Superman's history

When you've got a character like Mxy, everything is possible, no matter how aburd. Same deal with Batman. First thing Morrison did was bring back all the crazy, goof 1950s sci-fi Batman stuff that the acolytes of Frank Miller was trying to pretend did exist, along with Adam West.

Superman & Batman are a bundle of contradictions, same as Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood, King Arthur, Heracles/Hercules, and the Monkey King

Dude, remember the Bizarro World one-off issue Pak wrote in Action? That thing was f*cking amazing.

That's why you should never explicitly take stuff out of the canon and pretend you can't go there. So you can get issues like that one!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

There’s some stupid stuff in Superman’s history that easily overshadows the stupid stuff in Batman’s. Do we really want “Clark makes a machine that turns Lois Lane into a black woman“ or ”the Superhorse is horny for Supergirl” to count?
    I have to wonder why you wouldn't want that goofy, crazy **** to be canon?

Even if the characters acknowledge it as embarrassing relics/moments in their pasts, it's fun to have it around and creates a more interesting tapestry for their history. Clark just casually mentioning that he was always creeped out by Comet and couldn't put his finger on why would be great.

Plus, it's a great, weird link to the WW franchise through Circe (who should also have been the one to zap Superman with a lion head)

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I have to wonder why you wouldn't want that goofy, crazy **** to be canon?

Even if the characters acknowledge it as embarrassing relics/moments in their pasts, it's fun to have it around and creates a more interesting tapestry for their history. Clark just casually mentioning that he was always creeped out by Comet and couldn't put his finger on why would be great.
    I am of the exact same thinking. For instance, I don't want anyone to erase Super-Mullet from whatever canon is this minute. I want them to own Super-Mullet in the same way we own our bad haircuts

I once had a jerry-curl in 7th grade.

Mighty Member

Even Smarty Pants?

For those of us who have long maintained the "Everything counts/it all happened" stance on continuity, Bendis outright confirmed that this is his exact approach to Superman's continuity. Cherry-pick the very best stuff from across the entire 80+ years of Superman comics, cartoons, and movies and that's Superman.

Damn right it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    For those of us who have long maintained the "Everything counts/it all happened" stance on continuity, Bendis outright confirmed that this is his exact approach to Superman's continuity. Cherry-pick the very best stuff from across the entire 80+ years of Superman comics, cartoons, and movies and that's Superman.

Damn right it is.
    They were already doing that approach with Superman before he arrived (just less sloppily) but sure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    They were already doing that approach with Superman before he arrived (just less sloppily) but sure.
    I know some who would argue differently. As much as I love Rebirth/Reborn, I can admit it didn't handle certain things as well as they could have.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I know some who would argue differently. As much as I love Rebirth/Reborn, I can admit it didn't handle certain things as well as they could have.
    Being better than Bendis’s current run isn’t high praise coming from me, as I think it’s awful. I don’t pretend to speak for anyone other than myself though. Different strokes and all that. I was merely pointing out that they already had “everything goes” approach since the merger.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Being better than Bendis’s current run isn’t high praise coming from me, as I think it’s awful. I don’t pretend to speak for anyone other than myself though. Different strokes and all that. I was merely pointing out that they already had “everything goes” approach since the merger.
    This was also how Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison approached it during the Post Infinite Crisis era.

Not saying this is something new, but it's noticeable that Bendis is being so up front about it

Comet the Superhorse did not start life as a horse. He was originally a centaur. He saved Circe's life. In gratitude she gave him a potion designed to make him fully human. An enemy of Circe sabotaged that potion. The tainted potion turned him into a horse. To compensate for that Circe gave him kryptonian powers. In the silver-age Circe was from Krypton.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Fantastic Member

Everything counts/ It all happened!! If that's the case!! Superman and Wonder woman happened!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Damian alone means no one is ever forgetting his run. Even stuff like the Young Justice cartoon is drawing on what Morrison did.
    Even i bearly hear the name of Dennis O'neil. Didn't he create Tim Drake ? i'm not sure about that but it's not like many people really care about what O'neil did with Batman anymore...so....

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    Everything counts/ It all happened!! If that's the case!! Superman and Wonder woman happened!!
    Exactly. It all happened. If you want to put Superman/Wonder Woman in there, you can. If you want to ignore it, you can. Canon is a giant buffet of all the best stories that have been published over the past eight decades and creators can pick and choose which parts they want to use. If one story doesn't quite fit with another story, it doesn't really matter because Superman & Lois Lane's lives have been a non-stop series of time shenanigans, alternate realities, memory wipes, and 5th dimensional imps forever. Of course their lives are going to be a little crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Even i bearly hear the name of Dennis O'neil. Didn't he create Tim Drake ? i'm not sure about that but it's not like many people really care about what O'neil did with Batman anymore...so....
    That’s a fair point but Damian has one thing going for him Tim doesn’t: He’s Bruce’s biological son. That carries a ton of weight. Plus Tim is pretty redundant. Dick is the success story, Jason the failure, Damian the one who could go either way. Tim meanwhile was created to be Robin, and if he isn’t Robin he’s pointless.