Extraordinary Member

Default WW in her own universe

I'm pretty certain this has been brought up before, but what are some people's thoughts here on the idea of Diana existing in a universe all her own? Meaning no Superman, no Batman, no Aquaman, Flash, etc.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

She, like most of DC's early heroes, was created to be in her own universe, and to be just as inspiring as Superman. So I think she would work very well in her own universe.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    She, like most of DC's early heroes, was created to be in her own universe, and to be just as inspiring as Superman. So I think she would work very well in her own universe.
    I'd almost prefer it, quite frankly. Not just for her, mind you, but most (if not all) the DC heroes.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

To be perfectly honest, if one wanted maximum narrative cohesion, most all properties should operate in their own world. I like the shared universe, but it certainly isn't and never has been conducive to the most sensible of narratives because by its very nature it has required things to be both connected and disconnected at the exact same time. Connected when its convenient to be connected. Disconnected when its convenient not to be. Its just a question of whether one is suspend their level of disbelief for it. I can, but I still recognize its always been a rather sloppy, madness method.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To be perfectly honest, if one wanted maximum narrative cohesion, most all properties should operate in their own world. I like the shared universe, but it certainly isn't and never has been conducive to the most sensible of narratives because by its very nature it has required things to be both connected and disconnected at the exact same time. Connected when its convenient to be connected. Disconnected when its convenient not to be. Its just a question of whether one is suspend their level of disbelief for it. I can, but I still recognize its always been a rather sloppy, madness method.
    My wife always asks me during an Avengers solo movie or during one of the Netflix Marvel shows why they don't just have Luke Cage or Thor on speed dial.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I’d rather keep Wonder Woman in the DC shared Universe and ship Superman off to a different world so other characters like Wonder Woman may get a chance to shine

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I agree. At times, I find it difficult to reconcile a shared universe where Batman can go toe-to-toe/shoulder-to-shoulder with Wonder Woman or Superman. Or that gods and aliens can run together. Or with so many speedsters around, the need for street level heroes.

Personally, I think DC missed an opportunity with revamping the 52 worlds. It could have been a chance to launch the major properties to each have their own world/universe, and still reserve a few of them for joint adventures (twist the JLA origin story around and and have the Magnificent 7 each be transported from their own universe to a shared one to combat a big threat. This trope could be reused for other team adventures like the Titans).

Wonder Woman would definitely benefit from having her own world/universe to play in.

It would work very well. Unlike Marvel who pretty much started with a shared universe from the beginning, DC started with individual franchises that existed in their own world with the occasional, special crossover but fundamentally, the characters are more standalone. I'd love to see how Wonder Woman would work in her own universe.

BANNED

It would very likely be a great improvement for her. She always gets the short end of the stick when batman and superman are around. The trinity concept is just an illusion. And she barely does anything in jl while others do big things. In her own universe, her whole verse would finally get the chance to shine and have proper development.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    It would very likely be a great improvement for her. She always gets the short end of the stick when batman and superman are around. The trinity concept is just an illusion. And she barely does anything in jl while others do big things. In her own universe, her whole verse would finally get the chance to shine and have proper development.
    This is true. I also think Superman and Batman themselves do better in their corner of the universes than they do in a shared setting. I don't think it's a shocker that the best Batman adaptations are the ones that exist in their own universe. I think Wonder Woman could have similar success if she got to exist in a world where she was the hero

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    This is true. I also think Superman and Batman themselves do better in their corner of the universes than they do in a shared setting. I don't think it's a shocker that the best Batman adaptations are the ones that exist in their own universe. I think Wonder Woman could have similar success if she got to exist in a world where she was the hero
    Her own universe would mean that Cheetah won't be used as a jobber for bat family. That Ares can go back to his Post Crisis self, instead of being treated as a brick like the marvel ares. That Wonder Woman can actually use her super powers more than a shield and sword. Since in the shared universe we have stories where a problem needs super powers that WW has, but for whatever reason she doesn't get a chance to use them, and somebody else(usually superman) with the same power set goes and does it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    It would work very well. Unlike Marvel who pretty much started with a shared universe from the beginning, DC started with individual franchises that existed in their own world with the occasional, special crossover but fundamentally, the characters are more standalone. I'd love to see how Wonder Woman would work in her own universe.
    Actually DC started doing crossovers around the time Marvel did. All Star Comics only came out a year after Marvel Mystery Comics.

For the OP, I think it could work.

There was the JSA where they did share the same universe just never interacted. There is also Cavalcade