Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Twins #1 Discussion

So who checked this out. I thought it was surprisingly pretty funny. But I have to say, the page were they fist bump for the first time they come off kind of too intimate. I mean their faces are way too close.

Always Rakzo

Really digged this one.

After the overly-serious (and yet totally amazing) The Snagglepuss Chronicles, is great to have Mark Russell on a more lighthearted book again and is about more Hanna Barbera characters to nobody's surprise. Russell knows how to make silly concepts appealing by creating interesting twists about them and this particular twist is that this book is not really about Zan and Jayna trying to become respected superheroes as much as they trying to survive as normal teenagers which falls perfectly into Russell's classic social commentary. Hell, they even get rid of the main villain in a rather quick and comedic way.

Byrne's art was amazing too, he's perfect for books starring young characters thanks to his vibrant style. The best comic from the Wonder Comics line no doubt (then again, there wasn't much competition).

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I loved it! I thought it was well written and well drawn.

Funny too, there were a few times I laughed out loud while I was reading it.

I loved this exchange:

Batman: What did you say their names were?

Superman: Zan and Jayna

Wonder Woman: and what are their super powers?

Superman: Changlings

Batman: That could be useful.

Superman: Yeah well...She can only change into animals, and he morphs into .....water.

Wonder Woman & Batman: *blank stares*

Wonder Woman: Water?

Superman: Yeah

Wonder Woman: That's underwhelming. I am underwhelmed.

LOL!

Terrific first issue! Loved it.

The Hilarious Return of the Wonder Twins

Aaron Sagers - Feb 13, 2019

More than 40 years after their debut on The All-New Super Friends Hour animated series, the Wonder Twins are back. And when their powers activate this time around, things get awkward in the way that anyone who has been a misunderstood teenager (read: everyone) can relate to.

Once a pop-culture punchline – ridiculed more than even Aquaman – Zan and Jayna from the planet Exxor (and, eventually their pet monkey Gleek) return in the new DC title Wonder Twins #1.

In the six-issue comic, appropriately part of DC’s teen-focused Wonder Comics imprint, they still have their superpowers to transform into any animal, or water-based form, and this time they are interns at the Justice League’s Hall of Justice. But they must contend with personal humiliation, overconfidence, and shyness, in addition to super villains.

The title is written by Mark Russell, who previously added depth to the animated character Snagglepuss in Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles, which imagined the pink mountain lion as a Tennessee Williams-inspired gay playwright in 1950s New York City. The writer's The Flintstones comic was an excellent exploration (and occasional skewering) of American Culture. So why move on to the teens who wear a lot of purple, and bump fists to activate their powers?

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...e-wonder-twins

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I enjoyed the heck of this. Very fun issue. Wonder Comics hasn't had a dud yet. I am on board for more of all these series. Looking forward to Dial H for Hero

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Loved it. Fresh, funny, light. I even enjoyed the Trinity and it didn't happen from a loooong time.
    I feel some old Superfriends vibe in a modern key. Exactly what this book should be.
    I'm waiting for next...

I tried the first issue because its long past time I gave this Russell dude a shot with all the positive buzz he gets on here. It was alright, I'll give it its first arc at least.

I'm not reading Justice League for Scott Snyder related reasons (namely the fact that he is writing it) but I have to admit that I generally really appreciate the connected setup that it establishes. Part Justice League Unlimited, part Superfriends, with this series really leaning into the latter. The first issue didn't have any character building or plot elements that really blew me away so far, but I really appreciated that the world building that it does, both for the high school and the Justice League.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 02-14-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    I loved it! I thought it was well written and well drawn.

Funny too, there were a few times I laughed out loud while I was reading it.

I loved this exchange:

Batman: What did you say their names were?

Superman: Zan and Jayna

Wonder Woman: and what are their super powers?

Superman: Changlings

Batman: That could be useful.

Superman: Yeah well...She can only change into animals, and he morphs into .....water.

Wonder Woman & Batman: *blank stares*

Wonder Woman: Water?

Superman: Yeah

Wonder Woman: That's underwhelming. I am underwhelmed.

LOL!
    Animal shapeshifting isn't that a bad a power. Beast Boy and Vixen have similar powers, as do recent Marvel creation Snowguard and her inspiration Snowbird. And I suppose water shapeshifting is handy if a villain captures them. A barred cage wouldn't keep him locked up (Fuse in West Coast Avengers pulled off that exact trick a couple of months ago - though he can change into any element). Hopefully the twins will show Diana that their powers can be useful.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-14-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

In the 90's, a name like Thunderlust would be considered cool! Overall, a little too jokey, but based on the Newsarama interview I bought this because of, some more drama and story is coming. Good issue!
    Last edited by Snoop Dogg; 02-14-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    In the 90's, a name like Thunderlust would be considered cool! Overall, a little too jokey, but based on the Newsarama interview I bought this because of, some more drama and story is coming. Good issue!
    I'm looking forward to some drama! I also want to know what they did to get themselves taken away from Exxor.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Animal shapeshifting isn't that a bad a power. Beast Boy and Vixen have similar powers, as do recent Marvel creation Snowguard and her inspiration Snowbird. And I suppose water shapeshifting is handy if a villain captures them. A barred cage wouldn't keep him locked up (Fuse in West Coast Avengers pulled off that exact trick a couple of months ago - though he can change into any element). Hopefully the twins will show Diana that their powers can be useful.
    If his power is developed (as it was in the cartoon) to include water in it's vaporous and icy forms, then he's got a lot of potential. Water takes up 216x it's volume as a mist/vapor, so even if he was just turn into a person-sized-amount-of-fog, that's enough to 'smoke out' a small room as a living fog-bank. If he's able to turn to ice, well, punching ice hurts, and getting punched *by* ice can't be fun, either... A lot of his potential power depends on stuff like this, and how much force exactly he can exert when he's moving around in water form, and how *much* water he can turn into. If it's only his own weight in water, and can't exert tidal wave like forces, then, yeah, not a world-breaker, but even if limited to human levels of volume and speed and force, he's got a ton more power than Batman.

All-New Member

Does anyone know if this Mark Russell is related to the political satirist Mark Russell?

Astonishing Member

I was disappointed that we didn't get a story about Diana's teenage years.

Fantastic 1st issue !
    Funny, Hilarous, light-hearted, andwith good character moments ! (Bruce and Diana reactions to hearing the Twins power-set, and both the super computer moments being the highlight for me )
    Looking forward for the next issue
    Overall, the Wonder Comics line have been a huge hit for me, not a single complain as of now :P It is good to combat the whole grim stuff currently plaguing the main book hehe !