Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Cool line-up! And I dig Duggan and Deodato. I may check it.

WTF. I like Duggan, but this is far from my cup of tea.
    Looks like Wolverine will waste no time being overexposed again. Conan is going the same way and Marvel have barely licensed the rights.
    This feels a lot like the Avengers version of X-force, and it's not something I really care about.
    I'd rather have a book about the Thunderbolts or Aaron's Secret Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Thor kills in war's and with orders under the "government"/ruler he serves instructs him to do so. Thereby making it a form of "Justice" under the laws he is bound by as a citizen of his "country"/Relam . Punisher kills if you jaywalk and he is having a bad day. Elektra more or less is in the same boat. The three are hardly the same. Don't even get me started on Eddy Brocks Venom.

And it is no form comparable since all of those characters mentioned almost immediately became Avengers at basically the very beginning of the Marvel Universe. Heck Pietro and Wanda were minors and forced against their will to join Magneto. Not only that as soon as Magneto was removed from earth they both ran as far and as fast as they could from that life. No person in their right mind would have batted an eye back then under those circumstances or now.

Anyway, I know you like to respond back for the sake of responding back so my finial point on this is ....being Avenger finally and officially means nothing any more. They are no longer Heroes to inspire to be, they no longer represent a form of fair Justice, and they are no longer the examples of tomorrow. From this day forward Every character in the Marvel Universe is officially an Avenger. On the official roster or not.
    Yes, I do tend to respond to people who respond to my post. That's sort of how discussion boards work.

But the notion that everyone is an Avenger is sort of a thing. Ewings Mighty Avengers heavily played up on that. If you're a New Yorker willing to throw trash at super villains invading earth, you're an Avenger. You can argue the concept has lost some of its elitism certainly.

That said, this group isn't the official Avengers anyways.

BANNED

Not gonna lie I'm pretty damn disappointed. The initial teaser with Jericho had me expecting a secondary Avengers team with some of the neglected Avengers, of which there are many now that the A-Lister's are running the show. I'd honestly expected Scarlet Witch, Spectrum & Hercules given No Road Home will have wrapped. That would have been 200% cooler.

I just can't get excited with this roster
    Venom- Eddie Brock bores me and I'm still hurt that they stripped Flash Thompson of the symbiote and killed him off. He was by far the most interesting host thus far.
    Wolverine- it's no secret that Logan is one of the most overexposed characters in the MU. Having him back only to shove him in multiple titles just as he was pre-Death irks me and I'm already ready for him to be dead again.
    Conan- so this is pretty much just because Marvel got licensing back right? Hardly surprising, though disappointing that he makes a roster over the dozens of Avengers who could do with some panel time.
    Punisher- I love Frank but I think he works best as a solo character
    Elektra- I've no qualms with Elektra but her being the only female character in the team is frustrating, as we've seen it many many times before.
    Doctor Voodoo- is Jericho really the token black character?

I'm not gonna be picking up a new team book for only two characters that I like. I had higher hopes and this just isn't what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    SA's branding as an Avengers book is, obviously, first and foremost a marketing tool. I imagine there'll be an in-story discussion on how this team is unsanctioned and so on and so forth.
    Or maybe they won't even mention the "Avengers" in-story. I can't see any of those characters (again, besides Voodoo) saying "yeah, I wanna be an Avenger". Yep, even Wolverine
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Yeah, plenty of teams in "Avengers" branded books haven't referred to themselves as Avengers in the text: Hickman's New Avengers which was just the illuminati and the last two volumes of Secret Avengers were just teams of SHIELD operatives. I DO think the idea of "Avengers that are aggressive and kill!" is a little bit of a silly marketing concept, but not the worst of them.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 02-14-2019 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Yeah, plenty of "Avengers" branded books haven't referred to themselves as Avengers in the text: Hickman's New Avengers which was just the illuminati and the last two of three volumes of Secret Avengers which were just teams of SHIELD operatives. I DO think the idea of "Avengers that are aggressive and kill!" is a little bit of a silly marketing concept, but not the worst of them.
    The name "Avengers" almost does sort of imply that sort of aggresivess though. When you're AVENGING something, typically you're not doing it in the nicest way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Man, I know there's going to be bitching a griping because, you know, that's what a lot of fans like to do but fu*k 'em. I am ALL IN on this team.

https://ew.com/books/2019/02/14/cona...vengers-comic/

Conan, Wolverine, Venom, Punisher, Elektra, and Brother Voodoo. Hell fu*king YES to all of that.

With Duggan writing and Deodato drawing (with David Finch on covers - at least the first issue), I am stoked to see what they bring with this. Sounds like a can't miss recipe for bad-assery.
    If Franks there. I'm there. Adding it to the pull list.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Elektra makes this a must-buy for me, but I hope she's not I that costume in the actual book.

Ares should be on this team to add a big heavy hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    Not gonna lie I'm pretty damn disappointed. The initial teaser with Jericho had me expecting a secondary Avengers team with some of the neglected Avengers, of which there are many now that the A-Lister's are running the show. I'd honestly expected Scarlet Witch, Spectrum & Hercules given No Road Home will have wrapped. That would have been 200% cooler.

I just can't get excited with this roster
    Venom- Eddie Brock bores me and I'm still hurt that they stripped Flash Thompson of the symbiote and killed him off. He was by far the most interesting host thus far.
    Wolverine- it's no secret that Logan is one of the most overexposed characters in the MU. Having him back only to shove him in multiple titles just as he was pre-Death irks me and I'm already ready for him to be dead again.
    Conan- so this is pretty much just because Marvel got licensing back right? Hardly surprising, though disappointing that he makes a roster over the dozens of Avengers who could do with some panel time.
    Punisher- I love Frank but I think he works best as a solo character
    Elektra- I've no qualms with Elektra but her being the only female character in the team is frustrating, as we've seen it many many times before.
    Doctor Voodoo- is Jericho really the token black character?

I'm not gonna be picking up a new team book for only two characters that I like. I had higher hopes and this just isn't what I'm looking for.
    That's actually my concern with Voodoo's addition. At first glance, the optics of this team doesn't seem to have anything for him. After some solid screen time in Uncanny Avengers but largely waiting his turn for a strong interpersonal pairing, he finally got his due with a nice Scarlet Witch romance.

Unfortunately the book ended shortly after so we haven't seen much more development in that regard, or with his former UA teammates. Who knows what will happen in No Road Home 2, but i don't want the good doctor starting all over again where he's just this wallpaper brotha/uber driver who teleports them places and says some incantations but is otherwise taking a backseat to Wolverine, Venom, PunisherxElektra romance, and Conan leading.

i.e. don't just have him there to ensure the book wasn't all white guys and Elektra.

I also would've preferred Voodoo, Wanda, Monica, Hercules, etc
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    That's actually my concern with Voodoo's addition. At first glance, the optics of this team doesn't seem to have anything for him. After some solid screen time in Uncanny Avengers but largely waiting his turn for a strong interpersonal pairing, he finally got his due with a nice Scarlet Witch romance.

Unfortunately the book ended shortly after so we haven't seen much more development in that regard, or with his former UA teammates. Who knows what will happen in No Road Home 2, but i don't want the good doctor starting all over again where he's just this wallpaper brotha/uber driver who teleports them places and says some incantations but is otherwise taking a backseat to Wolverine, Venom, PunisherxElektra romance, and Conan leading.

i.e. don't just have him there to ensure the book wasn't all white guys and Elektra.

I seem to remember Voodoo's brother getting mixed up with the Hand in Uncanny Avengers (which led to Elektra's guest arc)...maybe that's his connection, given the Hand play a role in at least the initial arc here.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post

That's true, but we don't know if Duggan will do that yet. I think the smartest way to handle any team book that has more than one A-lister is to put the less-exposed characters at the foreground of things. If Duggan's smart, he'll put a lot of attention on Brother Voodoo and Elektra.

Hard pass for me. The only character remotely interesting to me is Jericho. If Emily joins at some point, that makes things more compelling, but I’d likely trade wait at best.

The only good thing I see is that they’ve grouped so many characters I dislike together that if they do come up with another avengers book, there’s quite a high likelihood I’ll like many of the characters. Of course I said the same thing after the new wca was announced and here we are.

Now waiting for wolverine to join the next iteration of young avengers
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    That's true, but we don't know if Duggan will do that yet. I think the smartest way to handle any team book that has more than one A-lister is to put the less-exposed characters at the foreground of things. If Duggan's smart, he'll put a lot of attention on Brother Voodoo and Elektra.
    Well, I mean, pretty much just Brother Voodoo would be best.

Elektra's not Wolverine, Venom, or Punisher but she gets around enough .