Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Michael b. Jordan open to playing Calvin Ellis

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbo...-calvin-ellis/

Probably not gonna happen but i'd watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

Yeah, me also! Sounds pretty cool!

How about John Henry Irons AKA Steel? Jordan would smash that!
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Much better than race swapping Clark Kent. A Superman who is supposed to be black is how you do a black Superman. That said, not sure WB is open to doing the whole multiverse thing, but then again, with the Joker film not sharing continuity with the other DCEU films, the DCEU apparently being called Worlds of DC, and WB being aware of Sony's success with Spider-Verse, it isn't impossible. Unlikely, but not impossible.

A working actor is interested in a paying role? Color me shocked
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I think President Superman showcases a problem in how our culture sees black masculinity. When White Superman is off the clock, he's allowed to be a put-upon everyman in addition to being a social activist, but Black Superman doesn't get to be Clark Kent, he's still Cal El when he's not Kal-El. He's always got to be Superman, and on top of that he's also Barack Obama mixed with Muhammad Ali. Now I obviously get why that's cool, in a political wish fulfillment kind of way, and I would absolutely spring for a President Superman comic limited series, but under no circumstances would I want Calvin Ellis to become the main Superman for pop culture by being the primary movie Superman. The lack of Clark Kent means he's missing half of what makes the character great, basically. If they cast a black man as CK, I'd be more okay with it, personally. I think Kent has more depth and is more allowed to be a more nuanced character than the purer wish fulfillment that Ellis represents.

Now if they decided to do like a Superman or a Justice League version of Spider-Verse, in either a comic or a movie, I would absolutely love for Superman Kent and Superman Ellis to meet and compare notes. I'd also want Superman Guerra to be there as well. But making Ellis the main Superman just doesn't sit right with me.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I think President Superman showcases a problem in how our culture sees black masculinity. When White Superman is off the clock, he's allowed to be a put-upon everyman in addition to being a social activist, but Black Superman doesn't get to be Clark Kent, he's still Cal El when he's not Kal-El. He's always got to be Superman, and on top of that he's also Barack Obama mixed with Muhammad Ali. Now I obviously get why that's cool, in a political wish fulfillment kind of way, and I would absolutely spring for a President Superman comic limited series, but under no circumstances would I want Calvin Ellis to become the main Superman for pop culture by being the primary movie Superman. The lack of Clark Kent means he's missing half of what makes the character great, basically. If they cast a black man as CK, I'd be more okay with it, personally. I think Kent has more depth and is more allowed to be a more nuanced character than the purer wish fulfillment that Ellis represents.

Now if they decided to do like a Superman or a Justice League version of Spider-Verse, in either a comic or a movie, I would absolutely love for Superman Kent and Superman Ellis to meet and compare notes. I'd also want Superman Guerra to be there as well. But making Ellis the main Superman just doesn't sit right with me.
    Now why would anyone think it'd be the former over the latter? I kind of would think the natural assumption would be he's an alternate universe Superman and not the main Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Now why would anyone think it'd be the former over the latter? I kind of would think the natural assumption would be he's an alternate universe Superman and not the main Superman.
    Fair enough. Let's just say I'm paranoid about losing Henry Cavill as WB's Main Superman. I feel like when most actors say "I'd be willing to play Superman," they don't mean "in a multiverse spanning crossover" but "if WB decides to replace Cavill," you know? Maybe it's different for Jordan, I don't know, but especially after losing Affleck, let's just say I'm concerned about even the possibility of WB making that choice.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Fair enough. Let's just say I'm paranoid about losing Henry Cavill as WB's Main Superman. I feel like when most actors say "I'd be willing to play Superman," they don't mean "in a multiverse spanning crossover" but "if WB decides to replace Cavill," you know? Maybe it's different for Jordan, I don't know, but especially after losing Affleck, let's just say I'm concerned about even the possibility of WB making that choice.
    Eh, I've never been impressed with Cavill and wouldn't mind him being replaced with another actor (actually I've been wanting him to be replaced for a little while now). But to each their own. But yeah, don't replace Clark Kent Superman with Ellis Superman.

I’d go see a Calvin Ellis movie.
    I think at this point it’s time to start coming to terms with the idea that Cavill like Affleck will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

This I would be down for. It would also bring the multiverse into the public spotlight.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'd be 100% down for a Michael B. Jordan Calvin Ellis Superman solo movie. No question. Sucks that Clark's chances are getting slimmer and slimmer. Dude's my actual favorite character, like, ever, but I damn sure won't look the prospect of a gift horse in the mouth.

Chances of this being a thing are unlikely, but, hey, if it's primarily creative interest in a property that DC's looking for, then it's cool as hell to have someone like Jordan interested. Dude tends to bring Ryan Coogler with him (or vice versa), and that dude's one of the most talented writers and directors working today (also a personal favorite of mine).
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I haven’t read multiversity yet though it is on my to do list. But let’s say they actually made it into a movie. Would it be different enough from “into the spiderverse” to be successful? Haven’t seen into the spiderverse yet either. But they sound similar.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I haven’t read multiversity yet though it is on my to do list. But let’s say they actually made it into a movie. Would it be different enough from “into the spiderverse” to be successful? Haven’t seen into the spiderverse yet either. But they sound similar.
    Calvin Ellis ends up making a multiversal Justice League. They've had cameos since Rebirth started, even featuring in a Superman arc when some being was enslaving the Supermen of the multiverse and working them to death.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Conceptually, yes, but only in the sense that it deals with offshoot multiverse characters. Other than that, no, not even close.

I'd rather they just do a Calvin Ellis movie the same way they're just gonna do a Joker movie. Just an offshoot project by a very creative team interested in what the concept of the IP can do without the shackles of lining up to this or that.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Thank you.

It's still a sore spot for me when it comes to Jordan because it seems obvious that he remembers his experience as Johnny Storm. Where everyone took this movie to task for trivial reasons up to the simple fact that some black people played white characters. Jordan really doesn't turn out poor performances and I'm not sure what would suggest that he's inherently unqualified. But just the same, Calvin Ellis is a cool role if we make peace with Clark already having had eight films and likely more in the future regardless. John Henry I think should be a bigger guy and it's hard to imagine when RDJ as Iron Man is still such a big deal.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES