Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Descender Discussion

This book may move a bit slowly, but each of the first four issues have been very fun and enjoyable. Both the story and (especially) the art charm the hell out of me. Nguyen's art is so unique and looks like no one else, and Lemire's characterization of Tim, Doc Quon, Telsa and co.

#4 gave us some more info about Telsa, the UGC, and Tim's supposedly impossible dream. I have really been loving this, and i really hope some of you all have too. Searched and couldn't find a recent Descender thread, so... anyone else pick up issh #4?

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I love this book. Jeff Lemire knows how to make a grown man feel bad and I love him for it! Nguyen's art is fantastic as always. Lover he water color look! Driller is stealing the show for me, so I know at some point Lemire is going to make me cry like a little girl if something happens to Driller. Haha
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

This is a great series so far. The writing may be a little slow but it isn't bad and I just can't get over how fond I am of the artwork and colors. I've read #1 and #2 so far and I'm about to read #3. This series is one of my newer favorites!
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

This issue was probably the weakest but I still can't wait for the next one haha. I could look at that art all day long.
    Of course, I dare. I'm Hal Jordan.

It may be moving a bit slow at the moment, but I'm no less blown away by how great it is.

I love everything about this book. It's definitely a highlight of my pull-list every week it comes out. Only 4 issues have come out and it's already one of my favorite books I'm currently reading, which is saying a lot, especially considering how many books are on my pull-list. The writing has been solid, emotional scenes come off devastatingly so and work extremely effectively, I absolutely adore the characters, and Dustin Nguyen's art is just too beautiful for words.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

I just finished #3 and I am relieved and stoked about #4!
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

I actually love the pace of this book. Lemire and Nguyen have something amazing going here, i'm just soaking it all in.

Amazing Member

Issue 1 was a masterpiece. I enjoyed 3 and 4 more than 2. We get to catch a glimpse of a new world which is just awesome. Thought the art in 4 was really nice. This is one of my favorite series.

A wonderful story. The pace is, in my opinion, very adapted to its general atmosphere. Nguyen art is gorgeous as ever, maybe even better as time goes, and gives a strong look to the overall package.

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    I actually love the pace of this book. Lemire and Nguyen have something amazing going here, i'm just soaking it all in.
    Same way for me. I actually let out a little sigh of disappointment when I got to the end of #4 yesterday because I didn't want it to be over with.

The art may be minimalistic for some, but it's perfect for me.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Just finished 3 and 4. I love the art and the design of Driller. If you can make me want to buy a toy based on a book that is only four issues in you are a hell of a creator. Is this one of those image books that have already been tapped for a tv series or movie? If not it should be. This is an excellent space saga.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Just finished 3 and 4. I love the art and the design of Driller. If you can make me want to buy a toy based on a book that is only four issues in you are a hell of a creator. Is this one of those image books that have already been tapped for a tv series or movie? If not it should be. This is an excellent space saga.
    Yea, Sony picked it up before issue 1 even launched.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Yea, Sony picked it up before issue 1 even launched.
    Sweet. Maybe we will get toys then.

Issue 5 was pretty decent. The reveal at the end was pretty crazy. The issue was brutal, and next month we get to see the big climax to the first arc. I wonder what the stakes will be once the first volume is closed out. Predictions? I think Driller will die in a heroic fashion in the arena.