Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Or expand the Team to involve training kids to use their powers before they join.
    That would be cool. Like a Justice Academy sort of deal. There's already a pretty strong school-ish vibe going on with the team. In season two they called the new kids "freshmen."

Honestly, and this is specific to the Young Justice universe, I'm more than ready for the old guard to step down, and allow the characters that we've followed to act in the League's place. For Conner and Dick in particular it would a very meaningful shift due to what was set up in season 1 regarding their feelings on their respective "fathers." Dick being scared to death to become That Guy, and Conner dealing with ongoing issues of self esteem when it comes to doing what he was created to do.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-17-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    So the JL is lucky their questionable actions haven't resulted in disaster
    Plus y'know...Jason Todd.

Even with super powers, they are still teens, and therefore inherently kind of stupid and irresponsible to varying degrees until their brains fully develop (all teens are). So Batman, say, sending a bunch of teenagers on a mission to an unstable country like Santa Prisca full of dangerous criminals while also letting them work out who should be leader among themselves is kind of...dodgy.

It's why the sidekick thing worked great in the whimsical Silver Age, but has never quite worked afterward with DC trying to have it both ways with being more grounded and serious. Like if you want more generations of sidekicks, maybe keep the whimsical tone and don't have one of them beaten with a crowbar and blown up?
    To be fair, I don't think they have actually said how Jason died in this universe yet. Only that he did.

So the JL is lucky their questionable actions haven't resulted in disaster
    Plus y'know...Jason Todd.
    Jason's death was probably tragic, but one (two if you count Tula, and I guess three with Wally) death for a Superhero team with as many members as the Team seems pretty rare by comparison.
    Even with super powers, they are still teens, and therefore inherently kind of stupid and irresponsible to varying degrees until their brains fully develop (all teens are). So Batman, say, sending a bunch of teenagers on a mission to an unstable country like Santa Prisca full of dangerous criminals while also letting them work out who should be leader among themselves is kind of...dodgy.
    But the mission still worked out and the Team generally comparts themselves pretty effectively and professionally, especially after the original Team, so one could say that challenging the teen heroes like that helped them grow and develop into better heroes, one's who can do what the Justice League can't.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    To be fair, I don't think they have actually said how Jason died in this universe yet. Only that he did.
    Even without Jason, the show does try to have it both ways. Wonder Woman's completely valid point that sending out Robin to fight crime at the age of 9 being friggin insane is kind of glossed over with Batman saying "Well he's not gonna be like me, and it's working out, why are you arguing with good results?" It'd be better to not bring it up at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jason's death was probably tragic, but one (two if you count Tula, and I guess three with Wally) death for a Superhero team with as many members as the Team seems pretty rare by comparison.
    Even those handful of deaths are pretty note worthy when the team is comprised of what are (essentially) child soldiers being deployed by the world's greatest heroes and role models.

But the mission still worked out and the Team generally comparts themselves pretty effectively and professionally, especially after the original Team, so one could say that challenging the teen heroes like that helped them grow and develop into better heroes, one's who can do what the Justice League can't.
    Then it's lucky the narrative worked out that way instead of going into what TV Tropes refers to as "Reality Ensues."
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 02-17-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Even without Jason, the show does try to have it both ways. Wonder Woman's completely valid point that sending out Robin to fight crime at the age of 9 being friggin insane is kind of glossed over with Batman saying "Well he's not gonna be like me, and it's working out, why are you arguing with good results?" It'd be better to not bring it up at all.
    Well, I don't think it was glossed over so much as Batman just gave his own counterpoint that the reason he made Dick Robin was to channel his feelings of loss in a way to where Dick wouldn't end up like him, and then Dick ended up becoming a successful and efficient crime-fighter as a result of that.

It just went along with the fact that Batman in season 1 was the one who helped push and helped the Team get taken seriously within the League, because he gave the kids more credit then the other Leaguers or mentors were doing and why he didn't have a problem with Captain Marvel being a kid.
    Even those handful of deaths are pretty note worthy when the team is comprised of what are (essentially) child soldiers being deployed by the world's greatest heroes and role models.
    Well, I mean, people compare the Robins to child soldiers but does that make Robin any less effective as a partner and sidekick for Batman? Or as a hero in his own right?
    Then it's lucky the narrative worked out that way instead of going into what TV Tropes refers to as "Reality Ensues."
    Well, yeah, it's a Superhero show .

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Well, I don't think it was glossed over so much as Batman just gave his own counterpoint that the reason he made Dick Robin was to channel his feelings of loss in a way to where Dick wouldn't end up like him, and then Dick ended up becoming a successful and efficient crime-fighter as a result of that.
    And then the scene shifted so we couldn't see Wonder Woman counter it, which she could have done pretty easily. Because realistically there are healthier and safer ways to channel grief then sending out a 9 year old to help you fight super criminals, thugs, serial killers and rapists. She uses the word "indoctrinated" which makes the whole thing creepier, and she's not wrong.

The Robin concept works best if the absurdity is embraced and they don't dwell on the negative undertones to the whole thing.

It just went along with the fact that Batman in season 1 was the one who helped push and helped the Team get taken seriously within the League, because he gave the kids more credit then the other Leaguers or mentors were doing and why he didn't have a problem with Captain Marvel being a kid.
    Surely treating them seriously doesn't mean sending them into Santa Prisca (filled with dangerous terrorists and cultists) completely unsupervised and without even a plan for which of them should lead?

It worked out, which makes Batman extremely lucky, not right.

And then the scene shifted so we couldn't see Wonder Woman counter it, which she could have done pretty easily. Because realistically there are healthier and safer ways to channel grief then sending out a 9 year old to help you fight super criminals, thugs, serial killers and rapists. She uses the word "indoctrinated" which makes the whole thing creepier, and she's not wrong.

The Robin concept works best if the absurdity is embraced and they don't dwell on the negative undertones to the whole thing.

Surely treating them seriously doesn't mean sending them into Santa Prisca (filled with dangerous terrorists and cultists) completely unsupervised and without even a plan for which of them should lead?

Well, if you embraced the silver age-iness of sidekicks, this'd be too much like the Brave and the Bold, which was fun but I've enjoyed YJ more personally. And if you went to strict/grounded with the teen heroes black ops team thing, well, then we wouldn't have a show. Sometimes it works best if the viewer just suspends disbelief rather than have the creators jump through hoops within hoops to strike a tone that'd work for everybody. I think they've largely succeeded given the strong fanbase.

Another counterpoint to Wonder Woman's argument is also very easily shown with how integral and helpful the Team and the younger heroes have been to the Justice League and the world.

Realistically children or teenagers should not be fighting criminals or Supervillains but in a world of Superheroes it generally becomes more plausible that they are capable of it with the right training and abilities and that Superheroing is a valid means of working out one's issues or negative emotions.

I don't think negative issues with the Robin concept hurt it since Robin has existed and continues to exist no matter how many people bring up the issues with the identity when you apply real world logic to it.

In the context of the universe I think we're supposed to believe these kids, even at a young age, are capable of dealing with that kind of stuff, so in-universe Batman was right.

I don't think a series about teen heroes and sidekicks getting the spotlight and getting taken seriously wounder underestimate what said kids are actually capable of.