Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The thing is though, Batbros seem to be running EVERY show. That's the problem. Are there no real Superman fans in animation? Or movies? Or television? The people making Supergirl at least seem to like her, if not him.
    Do the people in charge of the animated movies Death and Reign count?

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Do the people in charge of the animated movies Death and Reign count?
    Isn't it more or less that same team that did War through Dark? I feel like if you want to credit a team for doing a "good" Superman movie, you only deserve partial credit if it's one those three stories.

Clark has never been used well on young justice. I dont mind what they tried to do in season 1 but because we never got to see his reasoning, him trying to sort through his feeling or him changing it felt hollow.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Clark had a right to be weirded out by Kon. He did not ask for his DNA to be used without his consent to create a clone, so his initial reaction is completely understandable. They just stretched it out for way too long, that was really a subplot that should have been resolved a few episodes in or half way instead of the finale. Clark was basically a prop that was used for Kon to angst. And Kon has plenty to angst about anyway, I think they could have resolved this and still had the Luthor stuff available to provide drama if such was needed.

Superman's role in what I've seen of season 2 was just ok. That bomb that took out the Kroloteans is really something he should have been able to handle even on his own, and if not Wonder Woman was also there.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Clark had a right to be weirded out by Kon. He did not ask for his DNA to be used without his consent to create a clone, so his initial reaction is completely understandable. They just stretched it out for way too long, that was really a subplot that should have been resolved a few episodes in or half way instead of the finale. Clark was basically a prop that was used for Kon to angst. And Kon has plenty to angst about anyway, I think they could have resolved this and still had the Luthor stuff available to provide drama if such was needed.

Superman's role in what I've seen of season 2 was just ok. That bomb that took out the Kroloteans is really something he should have been able to handle even on his own, and if not Wonder Woman was also there.
    Is it wrong for me to ask a Superman-centric animated series set within the Young Justice universe? Superman's character development in Young Justice is just filled to the brim with narrative potential!

Is it wrong for me to ask a Superman-centric animated series set within the Young Justice universe? Superman's character development in Young Justice is just filled to the brim with narrative potential!
    I doubt it would be very good. Weisman is from the Bruce Timm mold where he cares about the Batcharacters first and foremost and everyone else is beneath that. I doubt he’d do a good job with Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

I think it hurt that they relegated Clark trying to get to know Conner on his own terms to the tie-in comic rather then actual series.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I doubt it would be very good. Weisman is from the Bruce Timm mold where he cares about the Batcharacters first and foremost and everyone else is beneath that. I doubt he’d do a good job with Supes.
    Look, at this point in the game, I'm just begging Warner and DC to give me some Superman-centric content. For all the grief Superman fans, myself included, give the Arrowverse, at least the Arrowverse gives Superman some semblance of character development, particularly in his relationships with Lois and Supergirl. Young Justice Superman is nothing more than a plot device that exists solely to prop up and propel Superboy forward.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I wouldn't go that far. I think Weisman does right by a lot of other characters, and he may handle Supes differently if he was the star (Timm has proven not to be able to, even if STAS was pretty good most of the time. It was just rarely GREAT). What little I saw of Wonder Woman was considerably better than Timm. Better Wally too.

Even with the Bat-characters, he's got a better grasp on Dick. And Babs too, who was great with Timm if not for the Bruce/Babs thing which casts a shadow over everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it hurt that they relegated Clark trying to get to know Conner on his own terms to the tie-in comic rather then actual series.
    Another consequence of YJ being a general DCU show that isn't focused on any particular corner, and skipping over time periods on top of that.
    As a general DCU show, I think it has surpassed JL and does right by certain characters more than the comics right now, so it deserves mad props for that. But man, do I think it comes up short compared to Gargoyles and Spec. Spider-Man. I'd trade YJ's revival for those in a heart beat.

I think Weisman would kill it on an X-Men cartoon though. And an actual full blown Titans/YJ show.

The Bat characters are not running the show in Young Justice and Weissman is nowhere near as obsessed with Batman as Timm. Blue Beetle was basically the MVP of season 2 and season 3 has focused heavily on Geo-Force, Halo and Forager. Hell, Weissman's depiction of the Joker was sighted as the weakest incarnation of the character in animation and Batman barely appears on the show. Superboy also has the most realized arc of the original six characters.

Young Justice is not another Bat showcase. It is a t.v show that tries to show love to all corners of the DCU. Even ones most fans don't care for. Hell, it's done more for some characters (Artemis Crock, Roy Harper and Jade Nguyen) than most comic writers have in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Bat characters are not running the show in Young Justice and Weissman is nowhere near as obsessed with Batman as Timm. Blue Beetle was basically the MVP of season 2 and season 3 has focused heavily on Geo-Force, Halo and Forager. Hell, Weissman's depiction of the Joker was sighted as the weakest incarnation of the character in animation and Batman barely appears on the show. Superboy also has the most realized arc of the original six characters.

Young Justice is not another Bat showcase. It is a t.v show that tries to show love to all corners of the DCU. Even ones most fans don't care for. Hell, it's done more for some characters (Artemis Crock, Roy Harper and Jade Nguyen) than most comic writers have in decades.
    Yeah I was probably a bit too harsh. Weisman has shown love to other areas of the DCU than the Batfamily. The Superfamily feels underwhelming though. Clark is nonexistent, Kara hasn’t shown up yet, Jon does exist which is nice, and Steel cameo’d but didn’t do anything. Only Kon gets any focus, which I am happy about. I just wish we could get a little more love thrown our way. It’s why I’d be happy with Kon taking the Superman mantle, maybe then he’d get to have a character arc and take initiative again.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

The criticism that people mainly have with Superman's portrayal on the show has mostly to do with his treatment the first season. Batman took over the leadership role of the team while Superman just didn't seem to care and got angry when Bruce suggested he was Superboy's father. With Batman once again being the adult in the room and Superman having to be talked down from over-reacting. Just like in the JL cartoon.
    Assassinate Putin!

It’s always amazing to me when people keep complaining Supes is “too perfect” when the last two decades his characterization outside the comics has been:

DCAU - A gullible moron who is constantly jobbing, losing his temper, and being shown up by Batman
    Superman Returns - A deadbeat dad
    Smallville - An angsty teenager
    Man of Steel - A rookie who gets his ass beat and his city destroyed
    Young Justice - A deadbeat dad (again) until the end of season 1, and now he’s back to being a naive idiot who can’t be trusted with the “real” work Batman and WW are doing
    Batman v. Superman - A mopey moron
    Supergirl - A jobber who’s weaker than Kara

Outside of that brief Legion of Superheroes cartoon, Supes really hasn’t been allowed to be a hero. No wonder people don’t like him that much. Still I enjoyed a lot of the media I listed above, but man I wish we could get a cartoon focusing on him again, and just him no Batman.

Master Hero Vladimir

It’s always amazing to me when people keep complaining Supes is “too perfect” when the last two decades his characterization outside the comics has been:

DCAU - A gullible moron who is constantly jobbing, losing his temper, and being shown up by Batman
    Young Justice - A deadbeat dad (again) until the end of season 1, and now he’s back to being a naive idiot who can’t be trusted with the “real” work Batman and WW are doing

Outside of that brief Legion of Superheroes cartoon, Supes really hasn’t been allowed to be a hero. No wonder people don’t like him that much. Still I enjoyed a lot of the media I listed above, but man I wish we could get a cartoon focusing on him again, and just him no Batman.
    What about the animated movies?

Kon93

Man when u put it all out like it sounds sad and pisses me off a Lil.