Mighty Member

Default If Superman acted clandestinely

That happened for a while on Smallville, right? The Blur. Does it make more sense than the dual identity?

More sense? Maybe realistically if that's your thing, but probably not from a storytelling sense I think.

Mighty Member

True. Wasn't that also the idea with the Tim Burton unfilmed version?

Wearing a mask to cover his face would probably be a more believable way to hide his identity true. But people accept that there’s a race of aliens who look exactly like humans, but when they live under a yellow sun they can fly. You gotta be willing to suspend disbelief a little bit, although there are ways you could make Clark’s disguise more “believable” via utilizing the fantastical elements he lives with.

If Clark's only goal was to save lives, then yeah being stealth about it would likely be a lot easier in a lot of ways. But saving lives is only a part of Clark's game plan; he's also trying to inspire people and show them the path that'll eventually lead to the glory of the Legion's 31st century. For that, the world needs Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

That's what he was doing in Rebirth, up until New52 Superman kicked the bucket and Rebirth Superman stepped in.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't think Superman purposely isn't more secretive. I don't think it was his goal to be a celebrity or to show himself off to the world, that just kind of happens when you do save people countless times.

He's personable, and the true Man of the People- so it's bound to get him noticed.

I think we get into iffy territory when we say he's "leading humanity" by his own volition. He's the man in the arena, he just wants to help everyday people. The "inspiring humanity" part just kind of happens outside of him, because of him.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-14-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Visibility also acts as a deterrent. If nearly all criminal behavior is being caught in the act by a guy wearing primary colors, it's going to make crooks think about packing up their operation and moving to a place like Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Visibility also acts as a deterrent. If nearly all criminal behavior is being caught in the act by a guy wearing primary colors, it's going to make crooks think about packing up their operation and moving to a place like Gotham.
    And then they've got a whole NEW set of problems!
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

I kind of think Superman should start off clandestine, and over the course of his first two or three major story arcs he learns to become a more public hero. Gives him a nice little character arc/journey.

Secret Identity had that. It was like the real world. Superman was an imaginary character. But there was an actual Superman. If you haven't read that yet, i recommend that.

Does it make more sense? To an extent yes. You have a dual identity. And you don't even put on a mask? Its incredible how he even pulls it off. But dude is Superman. He does things which we wouldn't dare dream about. There are a number of explanations of how he maintains the dual role. And it works.

I am with Ascended in this one. If Superman's sole purpose is to save lives, working in secret is best. Superman in Secret Identity was doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I think we get into iffy territory when we say he's "leading humanity" by his own volition. He's the man in the arena, he just wants to help everyday people. The "inspiring humanity" part just kind of happens outside of him, because of him.
    But does it, really? In early post-Crisis, yeah the idea that Clark had any kind of "big picture/endgame" in mind doesn't fit. He was "just trying to help" and continuing a legacy started with the JSA. But for other versions? The ones that mourned the loss of Krypton far more keenly, the ones that made better use of super intelligence, the ones that weren't so hesitant about leading other heroes? The ones that were the first superhuman to go public?

As a teen, Clark sees a bright, shining future with the Legion that influences the rest of his life. I think we often underestimate how powerful that must have been for Clark. He goes public as Superman, despite the complications to his life that'll bring. Clark knows that his debut is going to be a paradigm shift for mankind (first superhero and all that); how could he not?

The question then becomes, if Clark knows he's going to change the world simply by being who and what he is, how much responsibility is he going to take for that? And Clark's a responsible guy. He's going to know that he can't drag humanity where he wants us to be; taking a direct hand in things and saying "This is what is right, this is what you're all going to do!" won't work. That's how a tyrant rolls (or the Dragon Reborn ). That's self-defeating for the future Clark hopes humanity reaches. But showing us the path, and then walking it himself to show us how?

You're right that he's the man in the arena, and "inspiring humanity" is something that would happen no matter what once Clark went public. But doesnt Clark realize what that means and takes it into consideration?

I don't think it's a matter of Clark being Machiavellian. He's not actively trying to manipulate people for his own ends......not much, anyway. But wielding his influence wisely and subtlety to nudge humanity towards a better tomorrow? Clark's certainly sneaky enough for that.

Dont mean to derail; I just enjoy talking about my theory that Clark is stealth-influencing everyone towards something beautiful. Just my crack-pot ideas, dont mind me.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-16-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What probably should have been done when Superman was created was to have given him limited shape shifting ability so he could alter how his face looks when he is Superman and when he is Clark Kent.
    Not to such an extent he no longer looks human, but enough of a difference that side by side pictures of the two would make it obvious they are two different people. Sort of one of those thing that it is
    too late now. I guess at the time Superman was created no one really cared that much. But with the constant reboots I suppose they could do it in the comic books and animation. Live action gets a little
    trickier because the actor has to wear some sort of make-up or now use GCI. But if they can't even fix a mustache, maybe that wouldn't even work.

Astonishing Member

Even if he started out never wanting to reveal himself to the world, at some point, Clark is gonna have to make a choice between staying incognito and saving lives.

That's what happened in Byrne's MOS when he revealed himself to save the crashing space-plane. Or in the MOS movie, where he has to reveal himself to deal with the Zod invasion.

And if he's going to reveal the existence of a man with his abilities to the world, it makes sense to create a persona - to maintain his secret identity and to represent himself to the world. In the Post-COIE era, he was carrying on the costumed mystery-man of the JSA. In other continuities, such as Birthright, he is representing Krypton. I believe there's an Earth 2 story in which we learn that the Golden Age Superman was inspired by circus strongmen while designing his costume - which of course reflects the real-world inspirations for the suit as well.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But does it, really? In early post-Crisis, yeah the idea that Clark had any kind of "big picture/endgame" in mind doesn't fit. He was "just trying to help" and continuing a legacy started with the JSA. But for other versions? The ones that mourned the loss of Krypton far more keenly, the ones that made better use of super intelligence, the ones that weren't so hesitant about leading other heroes? The ones that were the first superhuman to go public?

As a teen, Clark sees a bright, shining future with the Legion that influences the rest of his life. I think we often underestimate how powerful that must have been for Clark. He goes public as Superman, despite the complications to his life that'll bring. Clark knows that his debut is going to be a paradigm shift for mankind (first superhero and all that); how could he not?

The question then becomes, if Clark knows he's going to change the world simply by being who and what he is, how much responsibility is he going to take for that? And Clark's a responsible guy. He's going to know that he can't drag humanity where he wants us to be; taking a direct hand in things and saying "This is what is right, this is what you're all going to do!" won't work. That's how a tyrant rolls (or the Dragon Reborn ). That's self-defeating for the future Clark hopes humanity reaches. But showing us the path, and then walking it himself to show us how?

You're right that he's the man in the arena, and "inspiring humanity" is something that would happen no matter what once Clark went public. But doesnt Clark realize what that means and takes it into consideration?

I don't think it's a matter of Clark being Machiavellian. He's not actively trying to manipulate people for his own ends......not much, anyway. But wielding his influence wisely and subtlety to nudge humanity towards a better tomorrow? Clark's certainly sneaky enough for that.

Dont mean to derail; I just enjoy talking about my theory that Clark is stealth-influencing everyone towards something beautiful. Just my crack-pot ideas, dont mind me.
    I always appreciate your thoughts on all things Super, no need to apologize.

I don't worry about Machiavellian implications, just that Superman cant ever really change society to the point where it is unrecognizable from the "when" where we currently live. Therefore it renders him impotent, and that isn't a place I want Kal-El to be.

There is a lot wrong with our world, a lot for one man to grapple with his bare hands. Even mighty Kryptonian hands. It's okay for others to acknowledge that Superman is leading humanity, but I dont see Superman as the neoliberal speech maker. He is gonna fly into the fire, head first. I'm not sure that following him, while a nice ideal, is going to get us there. We might actually need him to carry us a lot...which would fundamentally change society and thus is not possible in the mainstream titles.

As for the Legion, I think that's a nice idea but it is over emphasizing Superman's importance to the Legion and the Legions' importance on Superman. I like the 2 franchises being connected but not adjoined. I'm a big fan of the Legion as a whole, and they are Superman's pals in the future- but they aren't the end all be all of his mission.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-17-2019 at 12:20 PM.