Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    From what the guards are saying, it sounds like they have her captured and are torturing her.
    It's been a whole two weeks since a younger X-Man was killed off for shock value.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    It's been a whole two weeks since a younger X-Man was killed off for shock value.
    We're behind schedule.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Foxey View Post
    As a Cyclops fan I have to tentitively agree with this statement. I'm cautiously opptimistic that this is not a sign that they are going to continue to villify him. Not with all the other elements in that preview and the previous book. The fact that they had Wolverine tell him that he did ok, which is great strides for his character. I think this is going to be about them rebuilding the dynamic before their fight and all that followed. Not only that but hopefully moving beyond where they were before and building the most bad ass team of desperadoes. A X-men team that gets s*&$* done. Like the seven samurai but gritty superheroes that aren't afraid to kick ass and take names. A team that is used to getting help from no one but them selves and working with next to nothing. That's the vibe that I get from the cover preview that shows the team. They look like they have gone through the wringer.

Since the two will be running this team together it is in both of thier interest to help the other succeed and have eachothers back. Cyclops looking bad/failing will also make Logan look bad. Like in Star Trek if Picard is failing Riker looks bad for not doing his job which is to assist and vice versa. A great team looks out for their own and doesn't sabotage their leader. I also think the fact this team is going to be about taking direct action on their personal threats to the community will help keep Scott from becoming distant and removed from his commerades. It's much harder to be relatable when running a city or larger group.

Throughout the previous issue, Scott came off as the good guy an underdog hero that is rough around the edges. The way they had Scott challenge the mutant hate riot, got beaten up by the rabble but that he didn't fight back until he lost his glasses. A real badass fights when it is judicious to do so can take a beating if the objective is to show who the true monsters are. It's a classic protest tactic. Cap and the others are also tarnished for not speaking out and enabling the abuse. The defaced monuments, attacks on blindfold and the use of leathal force when it was warrented on those that had it coming the most. This Scott may be messed up but he's being much more down to earth and is giving off vibes that feel like real classic revolutionary/robinhood stuff. Will establishment hate them? Heck yeah they will but the establishement always loaths these sort of characters. Those in charge often don't want change if they are sitting pretty and removed from the consequences. It takes characters that are a thorn in their sides to bring about change.

Anyway, I think that Scott expressing his doubts was part him trying to mend ties with Logan by saying sorry about how the fight was handled and things that happened after with out directly saying sorry about the personal pain. It is a gesture that shows his trust in Logan. I doubt Scott would say these things to just anyone and he hasn't. Even if he wanted to he couldn't afford to show weakness to the world at large.

I also think it was because he is messed up from all the stuff they have gone through. It makes sense that he would struggle with depression, PTSD and anxiety. If it was slowing him down that would be one thing but he keeps on fighting. These things just make him look more badass. It's a sign that he's smart, devotted to helping those in need and that he knows a lot about these things. As a general rule the more you know the more you know that don't know. Is he really ok with all that he has had to do and the consequences? No he is not. However like Sisko from DS9, Cyclops will learn to live with it. Though I don't think Cyke has done anything to that degree yet, but he may feel like it he has. Just like other characters reactions to things have not been logical people are often not logical. Good friends work to forgive and can work through these things. This is why I agree that he should stay away from Iceman and Beast and maybe Storm.

Not only that but perfect heroes are boring, but they are not very relatable. I would much rather have a more X-Force like Cyclops that is also a hero like he was in Joss Whedon's Xmen. That version of Cyke was pretty badass power wise sometimes but also had weaknesses and struggled. All those difficulties made him pulling off badass clever feats when the chips were down and their backs against the wall all that more satisfying. Like this one.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/cyclo...essage-4092414
    Seven Samurai? Sounds good to me. Anyway, I like what you're saying, but Marvel doesn't seem keen on incorporating Scott's previous continuity into whatever is next for him - they need to drop this "I was wrong about everything" narrative quickly.

Spectacular Member Doctor_Foxey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    I really don't go with the sniping at Rosenberg that seems to be going on quite a bit. I tend to think that he's going at this in his own sweet way, and taking his time about it. He has obviously put a good deal of preparation into getting to where he is now, and we've only seen once issue of what he's about to come up with. I think he's planning to start giving Cyclops his confidence back, but take it in small steps. I think his leadership role on this new team is very interesting, particularly with Wolverine there, there could be a bit of interaction between those two with Banshee being the peacekeeper in a similar way to what happened in All New All Different in the early days. In the main though, that team is all people who are very likely to follow him. What we're going to find is interesting to me, he polarises views on here, so I think Rosenberg should address that in the book, and have him polarising views there too. So some will blame him, and some will think he was right.

I agree with you it could be epic, and I think the tone so far has been pretty good, there is bound to be self doubt, I think it's about how he overcomes it, that's his new story.
    It's not so much this writer but how others have handled the characters in the Marvel verse reacting to Cyke. It would be one thing if it was a situation like Sisko's were it was a clear moral 'doing a bad thing for the right reasons' or one that would be as extreme enough to justify everyone else's villification of Scott. Having characters act so out of character to try a push a narrative. I think characterwise what he needs people that are going to help fight the negativity from within and out right now. Like the one he had in Astonishing under Whedon. Not yes men but one that actually believes in him and cares about the guy. Or at least ones that don't suddenly make a heal turn and stab the guy in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I dig it. Cyclops has some regrets about the way he handled things, wishing he’d found a better way as Xavier likely would’ve done (at least in his mind). He’s always been a guy who is hard on himself, so this seems in character to me. He seems to have a little more edge too, which is nice. And Logan, well, he’s back and he seems almost unhappy to even be here. He’s more cantankerous as a result and a bit more like the gruff and unpredictable Logan of the 80s. I like that. It’s what I liked about Old Man Logan actually. He was dangerous, and folks saw him as a little crazy.

This seems like a good reset to me.
    I think the problem is that Xavier has been shown to be hypocrite both objectively and personally to Scott. Not to bash the guy but you could have a real 'I think I can live with it' momment. Even their many of the things he did were not things he actually had to do. I think when it comes to Xavier he had a good dream but was terrible at actually doing the things he preached. So it's clear that Cyclops need to find his own variation on this dream.

So I think both he and Logan need to find their own version of the dream and figure out how they are going to implement it. A more realistic take on it focusing on smaller and more personal victories in a 2 + 2 = 5 world (like the radiohead song lol). Cause that really feels like that is where they are at the momment I think. Hopefully this means that this team will learn to count on eachother because that is all they've got when the whole world is against them. That and maybe deal with the things they have gone through if they get a chance.

There is some serious subject matter writers are bringing into this and if they handle it with the grace it deserves this could be a epic run.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Seven Samurai? Sounds good to me. Anyway, I like what you're saying, but Marvel doesn't seem keen on incorporating Scott's previous continuity into whatever is next for him - they need to drop this "I was wrong about everything" narrative quickly.
    True. Even more I hope to have other characters help counter this negative voice. Often when you have depression you get detatched from reality and don't see things fairly.
    Last edited by Doctor_Foxey; 02-18-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Too long lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Don't forget, he has his time displaced self's memories now, and as soon as he heard about what happened since the time he was taken from (in All-New X-Men), he ceded team leadership to Jean. He must be wondering what it would've been like if she'd led from the start.

This should be set at the same time as the current Champions arc, as they're going to find out about Disassembled next issue (likely in relation to the whereabouts of Honey Badger, who joined the reserve roster, or Goldballs, a personal friend to Miles). I wonder if Cyclops is responsible for sending them their new member? He remembers his time with them now, too.

He alreday know what happen when Jean is in charge : All X-Men wiped out.

Ouch. Technically true lol. Oh and is it just me or did Cyclop’sbeam straight up vaporize some dudes last issue?

True. Even more I hope to have other characters help counter this negative voice. Often when you have depression you get detatched from reality and don't see things fairly.
    I think we can all accept Scott beating himself up for things that aren't his fault, that's who he is - but I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the idea that Marvel is doubling down on the bogus narrative that Cyclops was somehow responsible for all the negativity in the X-narratives for the last few years. If that's not what they're doing, great! Let's get to the part where Cyclops' team snaps him out of his funk and reminds him what it is that he does best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    wake me up when someone on the Marquez Disassembled wraparound gets smoked.

I think we can all accept Scott beating himself up for things that aren't his fault, that's who he is - but I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the idea that Marvel is doubling down on the bogus narrative that Cyclops was somehow responsible for all the negativity in the X-narratives for the last few years. If that's not what they're doing, great! Let's get to the part where Cyclops' team snaps him out of his funk and reminds him what it is that he does best.
    Love your Avatar by the way. I agree within his team at least but it would be interesting if they turn the bad writing into some propaganda kind of stuff. Like make it mccarthean. Corrupt governments do that all the time.
    check out my art if you are interested

https://doctor-rainbowfoxey.tumblr.com/

Love your Avatar by the way. I agree within his team at least but it would be interesting if they turn the bad writing into some propaganda kind of stuff. Like make it mccarthean. Corrupt governments do that all the time.
    Yeah, that could be interesting - readers never root harder than when they're rooting for an underdog hero/team. It sure would be nice if the other heroes (Avengers, FF, etc) don't "fall" for the propaganda though.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    What we're going to find is interesting to me, he polarises views on here, so I think Rosenberg should address that in the book, and have him polarising views there too. So some will blame him, and some will think he was right.
    Given how the x-office went out of its way to portray him as a borderline zero approval leader prior to the DoX retcons, "polarizing" comes across as somewhat of a humorous understatement.

Yeah, that could be interesting - readers never root harder than when they're rooting for an underdog hero/team. It sure would be nice if the other heroes (Avengers, FF, etc) don't "fall" for the propaganda though.
    Most of the Avengers probably will because they work for the state right? I’m more a JLA type. The only Avenger I care about is Dr. Strange and he’s worked with punisher etc. Granted he’s the only one that interests me. I bet he would be at least neutral or sympathetic to them. The fantastic 4 I think as well. It could be interesting to see who sides with who.

They have never really addressed the silence, participation and enabling of the non mutant heroes. The fact that this goes on can only make sense if the other heroes are entrenched in the systemic discrimination. I’m not just talking about Cyke here. Time after time terrible things have happened or threatened to happen to mutants and they are the least negligent. A true hero doesn’t pick which innocents they protect over others. If the xmen and co weren’t their no one would be helping mutants. And now that they are absent is it any surprise things are as bad as they are.

The ironic thing is that even if they were able to get rid of all mutants it wouldn’t stop at mutants. They would target another group that is also ‘dangerous’ like say the aliens or magic users.
    check out my art if you are interested

https://doctor-rainbowfoxey.tumblr.com/

The ironic thing is that even if they were able to get rid of all mutants it wouldn’t stop at mutants. They would target another group that is also ‘dangerous’ like say the aliens or magic users.
    They never go with that angle and that is why X-men in 616 does not make sense at times. I mean Franklin Richards is a mutant, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch where mutants(stupid Recton),Beast was on the Avengers. Cannonball ,Sunspot ,Firestar,Justice and Manifold where on the Avengers. Captain America(I guess he is not America favorite right now) was running around with team of mutants. Spiderman has work the X-men several times. It would be nice in at least one story every single hero comes out to help the X-men. And simple says if you are attacking mutants you are attacking us too.

The only hope is that when X-men come back,We get a long of era of X-men not being "feared" in the real world. The hate is never going to go away and that makes sense but X-men being seen as major threat needs a long break.

Most of the Avengers probably will because they work for the state right? I’m more a JLA type. The only Avenger I care about is Dr. Strange and he’s worked with punisher etc. Granted he’s the only one that interests me. I bet he would be at least neutral or sympathetic to them. The fantastic 4 I think as well. It could be interesting to see who sides with who.

They have never really addressed the silence, participation and enabling of the non mutant heroes. The fact that this goes on can only make sense if the other heroes are entrenched in the systemic discrimination. I’m not just talking about Cyke here. Time after time terrible things have happened or threatened to happen to mutants and they are the least negligent. A true hero doesn’t pick which innocents they protect over others. If the xmen and co weren’t their no one would be helping mutants. And now that they are absent is it any surprise things are as bad as they are.

That's an interesting idea, but like many have said it's just not a narrative that Marvel seems keen to explore - although, the current arc would be the perfect place to do so. Mutants are on their way out (again) and it would be easy for this fervor to find a new target.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    They never go with that angle and that is why X-men in 616 does not make sense at times. I mean Franklin Richards is a mutant, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch where mutants(stupid Recton),Beast was on the Avengers. Cannonball ,Sunspot ,Firestar,Justice and Manifold where on the Avengers. Captain America(I guess he is not America favorite right now) was running around with team of mutants. Spiderman has work the X-men several times. It would be nice in at least one story every single hero comes out to help the X-men. And simple says if you are attacking mutants you are attacking us too.

The only hope is that when X-men come back,We get a long of era of X-men not being "feared" in the real world. The hate is never going to go away and that makes sense but X-men being seen as major threat needs a long break.
    I agree with everything. Someone gets a pass because they developed powers by another means other than being born with them? Or because they get special treatment (Franklin, Beast, Quicksilver, etc.)? Getting rid of mutants because they're "dangerous" still leaves plenty of different kinds of super powered individuals which will only grow. Might as well go after them too if you want flatscans to remain on top.

But I get it. Mutants bad, humans good is the X-theme.

That being said, I'm still interested in this storyline. Things possibly can't get any worse for mutants, so I'm hoping for an upward spiral soon, even if it's just Scott getting his confidence back and his relationship with Logan back on track. I also want Scott/Alex bonding time.
    Last edited by Drey; 02-19-2019 at 07:32 AM.