Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

I will say this... I will be more than happy if the new series prove me wrong.
    The 2012 series was indeed good from what i saw. However, the new one, the Rise, is pure carbage.
    Only time will tell. I will repeat that i will be glad if i am the oe who's wrong.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 02-15-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    But let's also take into account too that before Rise of the Ninja Turtles, we really did get the excellent 2012 series.
    Yeah, from what I've seen of the others, that one's arguably the best TV show to date. I do love the 2012 cartoon -- it got me into the fandom and the only one I've seen all the way through, so I am biased -- but they did humor and drama better then the previous two cartoons did and balanced it well, and also got to really push the envelope. It was something special.

Anyway, I really hope that Trek does with this show what Star Wars did with its animated fare -- really integrating both animated and live action continuity like it should be. C'mon, those cartoon references in both Rogue One and Solo were great and validated their animated shows.
    Sure, that could work. In animation, you could even recreate the eras of the older TV shows, bring back old characters for guest-spots, and the like.

And, tbh, the TNG crew had already been reduced to children at one point, with a terrible 3rd act to follow all the hijinks. That's already a low-point.
    TAS did it first.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Can't be worst than Discovery.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, from what I've seen of the others, that one's arguably the best TV show to date. I do love the 2012 cartoon -- it got me into the fandom and the only one I've seen all the way through, so I am biased -- but they did humor and drama better then the previous two cartoons did.
    The 80s series is iconic and stil has the best humour and banter of the bunch, and the 23K series had a greater emphasis on action and drama until they dialled it down in the last two seasons.

Nick 2012 TMNT is an overrated visual eyesore that, at the end of it all, didn't know what it wanted to be. It flat out sucked and time will not be kind to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The 80s series is iconic and stil has the best humour and banter of the bunch...
    I don't think it's a bad show, when viewed in the context of being an '80s kids cartoon. It's not as complex as kids shows you'd find now, but that's an unfair yard stick to use. It did get the characters on the map and has replaced the original comics as the source material for future adaptations (even stuff like the 2k3 show and the original movie that went back to the comics as the main inspiration borrowed stuff from the cartoon like the multi-colored masks and pizza that have become key pieces of the characters). That said, I do think the 2012 show was funnier, but it was a different form of humor, too.

...and the 23K series had a greater emphasis on action and drama until they dialled it down in the last two seasons.
    I'll concede that I have not seen as much of this one as I have the other two, but okay.

Nick 2012 TMNT is an overrated visual eyesore that, at the end of it all, didn't know what it wanted to be. It flat out sucked and time will not be kind to it.
    Time will tell, but I think it will age well. First of all, it was arguably the biggest TV hit of the franchise since the original cartoon, so you're going to have a lot of people who found this to be the gateway for them. It certainly brought the Turtles back into the mainstream in a way that hadn't happened since the '80s. It did pretty well with the characters, giving them more dimension then previously afforded (Raphael got stories that were not just about his temper, for example). I don't know where you're coming from with the animation, given that it was pretty good. Human characters may have been a little bland, but the mutant ones had lots of personality and were extremely expressive. They also managed to make the fights seem more visceral while keeping within a YA-7 rating (and even that got pushed a bit; they even got to slice someone's arm off late in the run, with the severed limb practically on camera). Fair enough if you disagree, but there it is.

Honestly, as far as overrated installments go, the 2k3 series would be it for me. The animation is pretty stiff and voice acting is bland. It also fouls up stuff, like the vendetta with Shredder being weaker overall (instead of a blood feud, he doesn't give a crap about the turtles until they start interfering with his criminal operations and I do think that Splinter being Hamato Yoshi is something that has proven to work better then him just being the pet rat). I can't say it's all bad (I did like the King episode) and it did add new stuff that's been incorporated into future installments. But it gets the heck praised out it in TMNT circles and I don't get it. In any event, it doesn't seem to have had the staying power the original has and that I predict the 2012 one will.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Why is it on nickelodeon? Won't star trek be very watered down to work on Nickelodeon. WB animation would have been a better environment for trek.
    Last edited by Jeramas; 02-16-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    Why is it on nickelodeon? Won't star trek be very watered down to work on Nickelodeon. WB animation would have been a better environment for trek.
    Because if it were given to WB it'd have to air on Cartoon Network, and unless they decide to make it like Teen Titans Go! CN will air it at a time with the definite goal of killing it off.
    Do you really want a Star Trek Go! or to get invested in an awesome show that'll be lucky if it gets to play out one full season?
    Nickelodeon is just a safer bet for cartoon series of this nature at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    Watch TMNT 2012 if you think Nick waters stuff down by default.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Watered down in which way? Star Trek has been a relatively PG-rated series pretty much all the time, apart from some occasional horror elements which sometimes were a bit over the top ("Conspiracy") and some fairly chaste love scenes.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

TAS did it first.
    Yeah, but like only two episodes of TAS really count for anything.

Watch TMNT 2012 if you think Nick waters stuff down by default.
    Indeed. There's a surprising amount of death, grievous harm, and *a lot* of trauma in that show, which adds quite a bit of gravitas and connection (not that it's handled haphazardly, but it's quite clear that there are consequences to their battles).

Avatar and Legend of Korra are in the same ballpark, and there's a good reason why they're so memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Watered down in which way? Star Trek has been a relatively PG-rated series pretty much all the time, apart from some occasional horror elements which sometimes were a bit over the top ("Conspiracy") and some fairly chaste love scenes.
    Agreed as well. As heavy as DS9 or later Enterprise or even like 60-70% of Discovery can get, it's still mostly PG fare.

I'm kind of excited for this. Hopefully is an smart cartoon for the whole family. I want more kids to get into Star Trek like I did when I was one.

How old were you guys when you got into Star Trek? What show? I was like 8 or 9 when I discovered the original series in reruns. I just loved it.

Yeah, but like only two episodes of TAS really count for anything.
    Not really; it is canonical and a lot of the later shows did make nods to it.

Indeed. There's a surprising amount of death, grievous harm, and *a lot* of trauma in that show, which adds quite a bit of gravitas and connection (not that it's handled haphazardly, but it's quite clear that there are consequences to their battles).

Avatar and Legend of Korra are in the same ballpark, and there's a good reason why they're so memorable.
    Not familiar with the latter two, but it was my understanding that they were dramas first and foremost.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Characters should watch a made up Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon in this one.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Not really; it is canonical and a lot of the later shows did make nods to it.
    Don't worry, I'm being facetious. The overall quality of TAS is... not great, either as a Trek show or as a cartoon aimed for a younger audience. The only good episodes are Yesteryear and the Counter-Clock Incident, but those are also the episodes that really get any kind of nod by any later episodes (Yesteryear in particular is the only one that tends to matter from a narrative standpoint; even the latter episode only establishes what was already created in the TOS bible; indeed, the episode with the children got no reference whatsoever in TNG's Rascals, when TNG made sure to point out previous instances, missions, and logs from TOS like The Naked Time/Now).

Not familiar with the latter two, but it was my understanding that they were dramas first and foremost.
    Whether one is a comedy or drama doesn't preclude weight and depth, though. Some of the most dramatic moments in film and TV are in comedies; some of the lightest or most relieving moments are in drama. How it's executed is what matters, and that's one major reason why I doubt a Trek cartoon would be drastically "watered down" compared to the live-action shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Characters should watch a made up Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon in this one.
    I GET IT
    Last edited by Cyke; 02-22-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    LOL.

Don't worry, I'm being facetious. The overall quality of TAS is... not great, either as a Trek show or as a cartoon aimed for a younger audience.
    I think it's a mixed bag. Animation isn't great and some of stories are eyeball-rolling, but it did position itself as a continuation of the live action show and treated itself with enough seriousness to work on that level (the seriousness does make some the really cheesy stuff kinda worse, but there it is). I like it a lot myself, but I'd only recommend it for completists.

The only good episodes are Yesteryear and the Counter-Clock Incident...
    I'd add "More Tribbles, More Troubles," "The Time Trap," and the "The Slaver Weapon" myself (even if the limited animation does cause the later to suffer) and the one with Mudd was great for seeing Mudd again. There are a few that were really really bad (that one where Kirk and Spock are turned into fish people, the one with the women who drained people, come to mind), but I did find that most of them remained enjoyable overall

...but those are also the episodes that really get any kind of nod by any later episodes (Yesteryear in particular is the only one that tends to matter from a narrative standpoint; even the latter episode only establishes what was already created in the TOS bible; indeed, the episode with the children got no reference whatsoever in TNG's Rascals, when TNG made sure to point out previous instances, missions, and logs from TOS like The Naked Time/Now).
    Not quite. "Yesteyear" does get the lion's share of references (Spock running away in the wilderness was nodded to in that TNG episode he appeared in, the scene where Spock gets bullied by the other children and talks with his father was adapted into the '09 movie, Lunaport and sehlats were mentioned/seen on ENT, his home town as seen in that episode was added into the remastered version of "Amok Time [TOS]). "The Counter Clock Incident" doesn't really get mentioned that much. It has been the only canon appearance of Robert April, who was considered kinda canon before the cartoon was given canon status, but that's about it.

On the other hand, the grain ships from "More Tribbles, More Troubles" were brought into live action in the remastered version of "Charlie X" (TOS) (establishing once and for all whether it was a cargo or a science ship), Kor recalls his command of the ship Kothlos (as seen in "The Time Trap") in "Once More Unto the Breach" (DS9), Arex's species, the Edosoians, were used as the origins for different things in DS9 and ENT (e.g. Edosian fish), Kirk's middle name was established in the cartoons, the holodeck in TNG on was inspired by the rec room in "The Practical Joker," and at one time before Star Trek: First Contact, Cochrane's warp ship was called the Bonadventure on props and displays used in the DS9 classroom in early seasons as a nod to "The Time Trap" (albeit one of the cartoon's more confusing pieces of information and one that's decidedly been retconned long since).

Whether one is a comedy or drama doesn't preclude weight and depth, though. Some of the most dramatic moments in film and TV are in comedies; some of the lightest or most relieving moments are in drama. How it's executed is what matters, and that's one major reason why I doubt a Trek cartoon would be drastically "watered down" compared to the live-action shows.
    Sure.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)