Default Molten Man (Mark Raxton) Appreciation (2019)

Poor Peter! How come so many of his lady-friends have trouble-prone relatives?
    Betty Brant's brother Bennett had his gambling debts, and Liz Allan's step-brother is Mark Raxton, who became the Molten Man!

from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #13 (1979)

First appearance =
    Amazing Spider-Man #28 (September 1965):

And from
    The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update '89 No. 5 (November 1989),

I always thought his powers made him one of the most powerful characters, yet he seemed/seems to be relegated to obscurity for the most part.

Does he have any connection to the Lava Men? Or was his coloring once that pinky-red color the Lava Men have? Maybe I am getting the two mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    . . . Does he have any connection to the Lava Men? Or was his coloring once that pinky-red color the Lava Men have? Maybe I am getting the two mixed up.
    Off-hand, I only remember the yellowish/golden tone, not pinky-red. (Unless maybe there was a bad coloring job somewhere along the line?)

I only remember a few of his appearances over the years. Mostly I remember reading a marvel tales reprint of his first appearance. Kind of like Colossus without the ultra-strength.

I guess we'll see whether or not the movie features "him" or if it's some other character entirely.

40 ton strength? sheesh.. that's way above spidey's traditional strength (please don't flame me on whatever his "official" strength is now, lol)

BANNED

Might not see him for awhile, Can't remember the issue but recall Harry Osborn claimed to have cured him from being the Molten Man. Even mentioned he tried the technique on the JMS rip-off molten man (Charlie somehitng?)from the "Skin Deep" storyline. (not a JMS fan but that was actually a pretty good arc, connecting the villain back to Pete and and High School

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    Might not see him for awhile, Can't remember the issue but recall Harry Osborn claimed to have cured him from being the Molten Man. Even mentioned he tried the technique on the JMS rip-off molten man (Charlie somehitng?)from the "Skin Deep" storyline. (not a JMS fan but that was actually a pretty good arc, connecting the villain back to Pete and and High School
    Charlie Weiderman, yeah. And yes, that was a pretty good arc, but then I'm a sucker for shadow archetype/evil counterpart-type characters, since they do provide some interesting insights into the characters they're meant to parallel.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

More from
    Amazing Spider-Man #28 (September 1965):

from the Spider-Man: Back in Black Handbook (2007)

BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man #132 May 1974
    "The Master Plan of the Molten Man!"
    Trouble arises for both Peter Parker and Ned Leeds, as the Molten Man continues his reign of terror!;

With Molten Man's powers strengthened, will Spider-Man be able to overcome one of his greatest opponents yet?;
    Plus, Ned finds himself in grave danger after being exposed to heavy radiation.

Script by Gerry Conway,
    pencils by John Romita Sr., Paul Reinman and Tony Mortellaro,
    inks by Paul Reinman and Tony Mortellaro

so.. where is he now? When was the last time he was used? In the comics, that is.

BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man #133 Jun 1974
    "The Molten Man Breaks Out!"
    The Molten Man has come after Ned Leeds, who has been taken to the hospital by Peter Parker and has been diagnosed with radiation poisoning.
    Peter himself, is feeling the effects from being exposed to the irradiated Molten Man himself.
    In spite of this, when he becomes aware of the Molton Man's presence, he changes into Spider-Man to battle his foe.
    Spider-Man holds him at bay with a fire-hose prompting him to escape,

and Spider-Man is forced to flee himself when the police arrive.

Returning back to Mary Jane's apartment, Spider-Man eavesdrops on MJ's conversation with Liz Allan.
    Liz explains that after graduation from high school she took a job as a nurse to look after her stepbrother, the Molten Man.
    However, when the Molten Man finally got fed up and escaped from medical care,
    he lost access to the medication that was keeping his molten skin from melting away.
    Spider-Man changes back into Peter Parker, and sneaks through MJ's neighbor's apartment, getting his pant leg torn thanks to the neighbor's dog.
    Peter checks in on the women and departs when MJ tells him she's taking Liz Allan out for dinner.

When Peter arrives at the Bugle the next day, Jameson furious as usual tells him
    to go to the location of another robbery which has the Molten Man's trademark.
    When Peter tries to get information from one of the workers cleaning up the site, it gets him nowhere.
    When he calls Ned in the hospital to learn anything new and check on him, he learns that the Molten Man stole a chunk of radioactive meteor.
    Checking out the robbed warehouse as Spider-Man, he learns that it had recently taken in a shipment of radioactive materials
    for medical treatments, and realizes that the Molten Man has been stealing these items to prevent himself from melting away.
    The police soon arrive and chase Spider-Man off.

Deducing that the Molten Man will rob another museum that has a similar meteor fragment
    as the one that turned him into the Molten Man, Spider-Man catches the Molten Man in the act.

The Molten Man makes a run for it, dawning one of his melt proof disguises and hopping on the subway.
    However, his powers have gotten too out of control and they burn away his disguise.
    Spider-Man tracks him down. As they fight on the roof of the train as it crosses a bridge,

the Molten Man's deterioration gets even worse!

As the two fight, Spider-Man knocks the Molten Man's bag full of stolen isotopes and meteor fragments off the bridge and into the water below.
    Molten Man, in desperation, dives down, in spite of Spider-Man's warning that exposure to the cold water would destroy him.
    Spider-Man can only watch in horror as the Molten Man seemingly dives down to his own demise.

Script by Gerry Conway, pencils by Ross Andru, inks by Frank Giacoia and Dave Hunt

so is he going to show up again?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so.. where is he now? When was the last time he was used? In the comics, that is.
    At the end of Slott's run with Liz, I think he's totally depowered, now bodyguard/babysitter of her kids.

I really like Mark. I like guys that Spider-Man just has to punch real hard because they're gonna punch him real hard.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

I'd like the character to be repowered and work for the comicbook character Silver Sable like the comicbook character Sandman once did.