Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Batman Who Laughs. Thoughts on the character itself and the current miniseries?

The character itself, disturbing as a Batman turned into what he fought, the Joker with no limits. Character design is on point.

At the halfway mark of the miniseries and I'm enjoying that.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 02-15-2019 at 12:28 AM.

I enjoy the character and the mini-séries (especially for what it does to the main universe Batman).

But I must say that I'm kind of sad he was the only one of the Dark Knights who survived Metal, when The Devastator, The Murder Machine and The Drowned where really misguided heroes who failed to realize that they had become monsters and really wanted to save their worlds and have revenge on what they considered unfair rules of the Multiverse.

BANNED

Rubbish character, he's just a by product of Snyder's well known obsession with the Joker. He's the least interesting character among the other Dark Knights, his turn towards villainy is nonsensical, his characterization merits zero points and most of all he just hasn't done anything to back up all the hype he has in universe. Everyone just talks about his greatness.

Really to me he's just an excuse for Snyder to writer more Joker without writing Joker and yet Snyder still continues to use Joker anyway making the whole exercise redundant. I know Snyder thinks he represents Batman without morals but we have various villains fulfilling the role of anti-Batman, even as an all evil Batman he flunks because thats what the other Knights are.
    He's not more tragic than Murder Machine, he's not more evil than Dawnbreaker, he's not more powerful than Devastator or Red Death or Merciless and he's not more lethal/efficient than Grim Knight so the question now becomes, just what exactly is the point of this character?

I'm enjoying the mini, but I think the character is OP'd.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I'd agree with that. Bat Joker God!

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I'd agree with that. Bat Joker God!
    I like Snyder, but he seems to always try and stack the odds as heavily as he can against the hero. Gets tiring. Still better than King though.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

I like Snyder, but he seems to always try and stack the odds as heavily as he can against the hero. Gets tiring. Still better than King though.
    I've liked most of Snyder's Bat books and yes, much better than King.

Incredible Member

This sums up my views.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I've liked most of Snyder's Bat books and yes, much better than King.
    Quoted for truth! I'm reading (or attempting to read) King's BATMAN in TPB but it does not have the quality of Snyder's run at all. I acknowledge that perhaps the Batman who Laughs could be considered O.P but that just makes the whole situation more interesting to me.

I also continue to love Snyder's use of James Gordon Jr. I wouldn't support an on-going for the Batman Who Laughs but this is a soliid mini which I'm really enjoying.

I enjoyed him in Metal but not sure why he's still around. I haven't enjoyed his issues. It's odd. Synder seems to be the kiss of death for his pets. He doesn't seem to understand moderation

I am not reading the miniseries. My opinion of the "character" is why I am not reading the miniseries. Truly an uninspired villain that has take up way more time and focus than he merits.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

He's the new Superboy Prime.

I liked him in Metal. I was glad he survived so he could be used again. Way too powerful for his own good tho; as far as evil plans go, feeding the planet to bat demon in the bowls of the multiverse's recycling bin is pretty damn nifty, and tough to top.

But I've already passed the point where I'm losing interest because he's friggin everywhere. I'm not even reading the mini, and it feels sometimes like its hard to avoid him. He seems like he should be a "less is more" villain; like, he shouldn't show up very often at all, but when he does it should be an immediate and major "oh sh*t!" moment.

I hear he's getting an ongoing, and that makes me a little sad. I fear he's going to become a whole lot less scary and interesting the more we see him.

Just like Superboy Prime.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

I cannot understand the appeal of his character at all and I'm wondering why writers kept him around after Metal. Now that I think on it, I'm still wondering why Metal happened at all. The Dark Multiverse concept and the Batman who Laughs feel like edge for the sake of edge and shock value.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    He's the new Superboy Prime.

I liked him in Metal. I was glad he survived so he could be used again. Way too powerful for his own good tho; as far as evil plans go, feeding the planet to bat demon in the bowls of the multiverse's recycling bin is pretty damn nifty, and tough to top.

But I've already passed the point where I'm losing interest because he's friggin everywhere. I'm not even reading the mini, and it feels sometimes like its hard to avoid him. He seems like he should be a "less is more" villain; like, he shouldn't show up very often at all, but when he does it should be an immediate and major "oh sh*t!" moment.

I hear he's getting an ongoing, and that makes me a little sad. I fear he's going to become a whole lot less scary and interesting the more we see him.

Just like Superboy Prime.
    Less is more. I couldn't say it better. I am enjoying the series, but more for the pressures that it's putting on Batman with him being infected by the Joker toxin. I think any villain could be inserted in the place of TBWL and you'd have something similar. I'm still keen to see how it ends though. Also, I'm digging Jock's art, he's done a good job capturing Batman's change just in his body language and posture.

I like him. I’m enjoying the mini. I do agree that Snyder needs to be reigned in a little so BWL’s doesn’t get overexposed but people are clearly interested in the character given how well the mini is selling.