Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I liked Alita and am looking forward to seeing Captain Marvel too, hope it's good.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-24-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Stay on topic, folks. If you're not here to talk about Alita: Battle Angel take it elsewhere.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Well with that in mind:

The very song that plays over the end credits. I love that they used sets and imagery (the robot) from the movie. I guess Cameron/Rodriguez fit the music video shoot into the movie production schedule which is quite awesome.

I have to see it again in 3D. Being Mr. Cheapo plus knowing next to nothing about the movie I played it safe and saw it in 2D. This is one of those movies IMO that sticks with you days after you've seen it. The themes, the situations...so yes I have to see it again.

Without being spoilery, I will say the love interest...makes sense for this type of movie, and his plight. He had his own arc and story that intersected with Alita with to me makes sense, including the resolution. But I guess miles may vary.

I have to tip my hat to Cameron and Rodriguez on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Well with that in mind:

The very song that plays over the end credits. I love that they used sets and imagery (the robot) from the movie. I guess Cameron/Rodriguez fit the music video shoot into the movie production schedule which is quite awesome.

I have to see it again in 3D. Being Mr. Cheapo plus knowing next to nothing about the movie I played it safe and saw it in 2D. This is one of those movies IMO that sticks with you days after you've seen it. The themes, the situations...so yes I have to see it again.

Without being spoilery, I will say the love interest...makes sense for this type of movie, and his plight. He had his own arc and story that intersected with Alita with to me makes sense, including the resolution. But I guess miles may vary.

I have to tip my hat to Cameron and Rodriguez on this one.
    I agree with everything you said!

All of it was very good. I saw it the normal way the first time but when I go again I'm going to see it in 3D. I hear that the experience is even better that way.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Saw this in 3D, it was well worth the extra money. I really liked it. The movie was the first live action conversion from an anime where it really felt like an anime, if that makes sense. The way characters talked and acted, the scenery, the plot. It was so true to anime as a genre that I think it could well turn off some people. But I was happy to see it, this movie had balls.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Saw this in 3D, it was well worth the extra money. I really liked it. The movie was the first live action conversion from an anime where it really felt like an anime, if that makes sense. The way characters talked and acted, the scenery, the plot. It was so true to anime as a genre that I think it could well turn off some people. But I was happy to see it, this movie had balls.
    Not an anime fan, so it's interesting to hear that it reflected the source material's style.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post

I've seen a number of people point at the Alita/Hugo relationship as one of the movie's weaker points, but for me it was probably one of my favourite aspects of it. It followed almost all of the beats of the source material. It was quite moving for me to re-live those moments on the big screen.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Not an anime fan, so it's interesting to hear that it reflected the source material's style.
    I'm not a fan of anime in general, but if you're going to ever give it a chance, this is a great way to do it. It was a fun little flick by people who obviously love the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I've seen a number of people point at the Alita/Hugo relationship as one of the movie's weaker points, but for me it was probably one of my favourite aspects of it. It followed almost all of the beats of the source material. It was quite moving for me to re-live those moments on the big screen.
    Like the perspective on that. I was one of those who did think it was a weaker point. As a specific example, I thought the way it ended was stretched and the two events should've been consolidated into one, instead of the fake out and the real deal. I guess I also thought there were more compelling character interactions elsewhere in the movie. That said, I never read the original comics, so I don't have the perspective of seeing a story I already know retold in a new way. Good to hear to from people who see it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I'm not a fan of anime in general, but if you're going to ever give it a chance, this is a great way to do it. It was a fun little flick by people who obviously love the genre.
    Actually, I did see the movie.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Actually, I did see the movie.
    Oh cool! Missed that. After seeing it my son, who is into anime, showed me some of the original work the movie was based on. I was really impressed how the movie captured it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    HA! This could push it over the line to get at least one sequel (it wasn't a bomb but it wasn't a runaway hit, either). Fingers crossed!

I remember reading James Cameron chose the naming convention he did (Alita: Battle Angel instead of Battle Angel Alita) for sequels. It would be in the "Alita: ____ Angel" format. The ideas he was spitballing at the time, were "Alita: Fallen Angel" and "Alita: Avenging Angel".

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I wish they'd put the flick on Netflix or something that would give it a resurgence in interest. It was a fun flick, not at all as amazing as it'd be if James Cameron himself made it but still well worth a sequel or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I wish they'd put the flick on Netflix or something that would give it a resurgence in interest. It was a fun flick, not at all as amazing as it'd be if James Cameron himself made it but still well worth a sequel or 3.
    It was on HBO and is now on Hulu.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

If it's coming back to my town, I might go see it again. Don't think it was the masterpiece that some online netizens did, but okay enough and would go for a sequel.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)