Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I saw Alita on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Having never read the manga, I had no idea what to expect, but was impressed with the film, the characters, the story, pretty much everything. If a sequel ever does come down the road, I'll certainly watch it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I love Alita. What a great character and good story all around!
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I love Alita. What a great character and good story all around!
    I love how the film was created. the eyes never weirded me out. its a manga. James Cameron is a true visionary.
    A

I quite enjoyed it but it felt a bit overstuffed -- like they didn't leave it enough room to breathe and tried to ram through too much of the story.

That's my short review, anyway.

...also lol someone actually posted a youtube link that included the phrase 'NPC media'.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 02-19-2019 at 09:35 AM.

All-New Member

My mother just saw it today and she was praising this movie up and down. She said she was actually talking to the screen and yelling at it at certain points. That's how much she got into it. She really enjoyed it. Word of mouth should boost this movie into the stratosphere in the coming weeks.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    Finally more people are exposing what is going on with Captain Marvel, Alita and the true need for female empowerment.

the great thing about Alita is the artistic merit of the movie. people are blown away by the effects, alita's character, the world building, other movies right now, we cant even have opinions based on some real facts because we are racists and misogynistics by default.
    Why did you post a video made by some alt-righter here?

Just came back from seeing it, and it was as good as I expected. Maybe surprisingly, not quite living up to the hype it got over the past couple days among fan circles? But still, a fine movie. Wonderful CGI effects, the world is brought to live in a great way, the fight scenes are indeed excellent, the story is fine, especially in terms of how much of Alita's story from the manga they managed to tell; I liked how the progression of the Alita/Yugo relationship was very very faithful to the source material.

If I could name one thing that bothered me, it would be that spoilers:
    Alita seems to absolutely dominate most fights she gets involved in. This is especially cranked up once she acquires the Berserker body; there's very little tension when she goes up against the other hunter-warriors in the Motorball rink toward the end.
    end of spoilers

All in all a great experience; this will be the fourth sci-fi/action movie I'll put on my wish list to buy in physical format, next to Bumblebee, Spider-Verse, and Aquaman. It's been a good winter.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

BANNED

Movies like this while a Spectacle, are really important. If you can look past the violence and at the Science, the minds behind this are the people who will literally shape the future.
    Much as Star Trek, Robotech, and other Sci-Fi inspired change.

Alita: Battle Angel's final box office numbers are in for the Presidents' Day weekend:

As of Monday, Feb 18, Alita's domestic is $42,250,332 after 5 days in release.

For the 3-day weekend, Alita had $28,525,613, which beat Box Office Mojo's forecast of $23mm.

Alita's foreign take is $94,870,018, which makes its worldwide total $137,120,350.

It's going to be tough for this movie to break even in theaters, but lots of movies don't. Still, it has to perform well enough that Disney sees the franchise potential or at least the potential to do more live action adaptations of manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Alita: Battle Angel's final box office numbers are in for the Presidents' Day weekend:

For the 3-day weekend, Alita had $28,525,613, which beat Box Office Mojo's forecast of $23mm.

Alita's foreign take is $94,870,018, which makes its worldwide total $137,120,350.

It's going to be tough for this movie to break even in theaters, but lots of movies don't. Still, it has to perform well enough that Disney sees the franchise potential or at least the potential to do more live action adaptations of manga.
    It hasn't opened in China and Japan yet? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It hasn't opened in China and Japan yet? Right?
    Correct. It opens in China and Japan this Friday, Feb 22.

Neither country was a big market for Ghost in the Shell, but that had a whitewashing backlash. Hopefully, Alita will be better received.

Nah, I don't think so. It has already out-performed the initial expectations. I think it's going to do ok to good at domestic. I expect $130-$150 M. Maybe even $200 M if it has really good legs.
    Correct. It opens in China and Japan this Friday, Feb 22.

Neither country was a big market for Ghost in the Shell, but that had a whitewashing backlash. Hopefully, Alita will be better received.
    China and Japan don't care about that. They care about big awesome CGI spectacle. Which from what I'm hearing Alita has in spades. I think it's going to do really good in both countries.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Why did you post a video made by some alt-righter here?
    he is not alt right, even if he was. his comments were sensible. is this person alt right too

People just want good movies.

Told the wife that I'm taking our 11yo daughter to see Alita. She was thrilled when I told her we're going to see it & was an immediate fan of Alita afterwards. Huge, huge grins on her face during Alita's insane fight scenes. Great, action packed movie that all dads should be bringing daughters too.

Only thing I'm disappointed about is the lack of Alita BA merchandise not available. Still, next stop will be the manga for her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    he is not alt right, even if he was. his comments were sensible. is this person alt right too

People just want good movies.
    NPC is Alt Right slang. Anyone who uses it is a member of the Alt Right