Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 135
  1. #16
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    It was phenomenal. My only regret is that dolby cinema was in 3d and I was unaware of it. It was excellent 3d but I still prefer not having to deal with that over 2d. Very compelling action and a fun movie to watch. I can't say it was super deep, but I was not expecting that.
    I have heard nothing more but good things about the movie. why are critics trashing this movie. These are the critics who gave black panther and last jedi great reviews. lol.



    Alita is about to become a thorn in captain marvel's sight. a rivalry has been building over the last few weeks.
    Last edited by Jeramas; 02-17-2019 at 11:43 PM.

  2. #17
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    I have heard nothing more but good things about the movie. why are critics trashing this movie. These are the critics who gave black panther and last jedi great reviews. lol.



    Alita is about to become a thorn in captain marvel's sight. a rivalry has been building over the last few weeks.
    Black Panther was a great movie, hence its best picture nomination and amazing audience reception.

    That being said, Alita wasn't trashed by critics, not sure why people are putting out click bait videos.

    And Captain Marvel is coming out roughly 3 weeks from now, there isn't going to be any rivalry between them. Besides, Captain Marvel is already tracking to open above $100m, it's going to be a monster hit, despite what the anti-feminists on youtube are crying about (these guys cry more than the feminists than they are attacking).
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

    "BE WOKE, VOTE!!"

  3. #18
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Black Panther was a great movie, hence its best picture nomination and amazing audience reception.

    That being said, Alita wasn't trashed by critics, not sure why people are putting out click bait videos.
    Black Panther best picture nomination was not because it was great. It was to push diversity. Its nomination was not on artistic merit. not one person is convinced it is. the audience reception to black panther was meh to okay audiences reception said it was not the best comic film of the year.
    That being said, Alita wasn't trashed by critics, not sure why people are putting out click bait videos.
    Alita is 58-60% on rt. when ant man 2 is getting an 88% and last jedi is a 91 or black panther is a 97. Someone has to draw that line.


    And Captain Marvel is coming out roughly 3 weeks from now, there isn't going to be any rivalry between them. Besides, Captain Marvel is already tracking to open above $100m, it's going to be a monster hit, despite what the anti-feminists on youtube are crying about (these guys cry more than the feminists than they are attacking
    Captain Marvel will be another cooperate movie very much like black panther. the media and Disney needs to play the race and gender politics to make sure the movies escapes any real criticism or the truth. it did not work with black panther, people still called out the thinly plotted plot of the film and painfully done CGI. it wont work with captain marvel, people are already calling out brie larson's lack of emotion and the cheapness of the movie.

    Alita just looks supreme to Captain marvel. It is a James Cameron production after all. It is going to be better artistically to captain marvel. the action scenes alone look better to what we have seen from captain marvel. Alita looks less boring as a character to carol. When the rivalry blows up, Captain marvel will be the film wounded as black panther was. artistic merit matters to people. people don't call a movie great only because the cast is black or led by women or Disney and the media tells us it is. That is not the recipe for great films. never was, never will be.
    Last edited by Jeramas; 02-18-2019 at 02:20 AM.

  4. #19
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The fight scenes are incredible.
    I agree, not just incredible but very emotional too. Loved all the music scores used in the fight scenes.

    James Cameron continues to break new grounds with films.

    Alita could have legs at the box office.

  5. #20
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,986

    Default

    Black Panther best picture nomination was not because it was great. It was to push diversity. Its nomination was not on artistic merit. not one person is convinced it is. the audience reception to black panther was meh to okay audiences reception said it was not the best comic film of the year.
    By every measurable metric people liked it. We can argue this until we are blue in the face but BP got acclaim from audiences and critics, just because the vocal minority on the internet are upset doesn't change anything. I can only say sorry to those that are offended, facts over emotion.

    Alita is 58-60% on rt. when ant man 2 is getting an 88% and last jedi is a 91 or black panther is a 97. Someone has to draw that line.
    I haven't seen Alita but the movie getting 60% on RT and 54 on Metacritic means it's getting good but not great reviews.


    Captain Marvel will be another cooperate movie very much like black panther. the media and Disney needs to play the race and gender politics to make sure the movies escapes any real criticism or the truth. it did not work with black panther, people still called out the thinly plotted plot of the film and painfully done CGI. it wont work with captain marvel, people are already calling out brie larson's lack of emotion and the cheapness of the movie.

    Alita just looks supreme to Captain marvel. It is a James Cameron production after all. It is going to be better artistically to captain marvel. the action scenes alone look better to what we have seen from captain marvel. Alita looks less boring as a character to carol. When the rivalry blows up, Captain marvel will be the film wounded as black panther. artistic merit matters to people. people don't call a movie great only because the cast is black or led by women. That is not the recipe for great films. never was, never will be.
    [/QUOTE]


    You're contradicting yourself here. You're arguing against corporate movies and using Alita as an example. Alita cost around $200 million and is one of the most expensive effects laden movies of the year. Besides, none of us has seen Captain Marvel and arguing against a movie that none of us has seen is simply using emotion over fact.

    All the "gender politics" talk doesn't even make sense in this context because none of us have seen the movie. Marvel hasn't said anything about the movie being above criticism because of the main characters gender, it's just a couple of dudes on the internet creating lies and then arguing against their own lies unfortunately.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

    "BE WOKE, VOTE!!"

  6. #21

    Default

    Can we acknowledge that this is a Robert Rodriguez film, not a James Cameron film?

    Anyway, I think it's good for the overall box office that we get more SciFi/Fantasy/Heroic films than just DC and Marvel, so I'm glad that Alita is a good movie. Hopefully, it does well enough that Disney will want to continue it.

    It's going to be interesting to see how Disney integrates all the Fox franchises into its overall movie slate. Beyond the Marvel properties of FF, Deadpool, and X-Men, they also have to find room for Avatar movies should they actually ever come out and the other Fox franchises like Planet of the Apes, Die Hard, etc.

    I wonder if Disney will end up tripping over itself in trying to space their movies out so they don't compete with each other.

  7. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Can we acknowledge that this is a Robert Rodriguez film, not a James Cameron film?

    Anyway, I think it's good for the overall box office that we get more SciFi/Fantasy/Heroic films than just DC and Marvel, so I'm glad that Alita is a good movie. Hopefully, it does well enough that Disney will want to continue it.

    It's going to be interesting to see how Disney integrates all the Fox franchises into its overall movie slate. Beyond the Marvel properties of FF, Deadpool, and X-Men, they also have to find room for Avatar movies should they actually ever come out and the other Fox franchises like Planet of the Apes, Die Hard, etc.

    I wonder if Disney will end up tripping over itself in trying to space their movies out so they don't compete with each other.
    Cameron is heavily involved in the film. when Alita gets its deserving best picture nomination as black panther is deserving, Cameron will be nominated as a producer. lol.I don't think Disney will continue with the series. it is not Disney enough if you know what I mean. Seriously go see this film, it's this year ready player one. It's almost like hunger games and hunger games first 2 films were very good.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    Cameron is heavily involved in the film. when Alita gets its deserving best picture nomination as black panther is deserving, Cameron will be nominated as a producer. lol.I don't think Disney will continue with the series. it is not Disney enough if you know what I mean. Seriously go see this film, it's this year ready player one. It's almost like hunger games and hunger games first 2 films were very good.
    Just from the trailer I saw, I know what you mean when you say it's not "Disney enough."

    However, Feige said that he wants to keep Deadpool R-rated, and they have to integrate the Fox properties somehow, and none are really "Disney enough."

    I also read that Disney will still likely use the Fox name, so maybe Fox will become a shingle for hard PG-13 and R-rated films like the old Disney labels of Hollywood Pictures (or Dimension & Miramax that they bought from the Weinsteins).

    However, I don't think it's a great idea to use "Fox" when the Fox Corporation will also be using the name for the properties they aren't selling to Disney.

    Maybe bringing back the Touchstone Pictures label for the Fox stuff might be a better idea.

  9. #24
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Just from the trailer I saw, I know what you mean when you say it's not "Disney enough."

    However, Feige said that he wants to keep Deadpool R-rated, and they have to integrate the Fox properties somehow, and none are really "Disney enough."

    I also read that Disney will still likely use the Fox name, so maybe Fox will become a shingle for hard PG-13 and R-rated films like the old Disney labels of Hollywood Pictures (or Dimension & Miramax that they bought from the Weinsteins).

    However, I don't think it's a great idea to use "Fox" when the Fox Corporation will also be using the name for the properties they aren't selling to Disney.

    Maybe bringing back the Touchstone Pictures label for the Fox stuff might be a better idea.
    Disney will probably use another label to release R-rated movies.

    Like you rightly said, they could bring back Touchstone Pictures for the R-rated stuff they used to do under the banner.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

    "BE WOKE, VOTE!!"

  10. #25
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    I find myself somewhere between the harsher critics and the more forgiving fans of the film. Check out my full review of the film on my blog here for my full thoughts on the film. My very short take, though: an immensely likeable lead characters and some spectacular visuals go a long way but they can't make up for the haphazard plotting.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

  11. #26
    I am BLACK GUY dreyga2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    810

    Default

    I'm still on the fence about watching this, I had interest in this movie at all but it reviews seem decent and frankly there is nothing else on for a while. What is it about??

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    Black Panther best picture nomination was not because it was great. It was to push diversity. Its nomination was not on artistic merit. not one person is convinced it is. the audience reception to black panther was meh to okay audiences reception said it was not the best comic film of the year.
    I don't know who you hang out with but all my friends and family have generally been talking about how it was the best movie they have seen all year. Different people, different tastes.
    Last edited by dreyga2000; 02-18-2019 at 09:20 PM.

  12. #27
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,402

    Default

    As a fan of the original Gunnm and Battle Angel, I went into this like I go into all adaptions and expected it to be altered to be its own thing. I am pleasantly surprised and will be watching it again this weekend in IMAX.
    The URM Earth War has me intrigued to all get out, especially as it was not in the Manga or OVA. I'm a sucker for fallen civilizations and old tech.

  13. #28
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    I'm still on the fence about watching this, I had interest in this movie at all but it reviews seem decent and frankly there is nothing else on for a while. What is it about??



    I don't know who you hang out with but all my friends and family have generally been talking about how it was the best movie they have seen all year. Different people, different tastes.
    Exactly.

    It's funny, I've never seen a movie hurt people's feelings so much.Like, it's ok to not like Black Panther but all the crying and wailing on the internet about an objectively successful movie is very odd.

    People need to define themselves less on what media they consume and simply appreciate the finer things of life without necessarily internalizing everything.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

    "BE WOKE, VOTE!!"

  14. #29
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    I'm still on the fence about watching this, I had interest in this movie at all but it reviews seem decent and frankly there is nothing else on for a while. What is it about??
    Well, at its core Alita is a hero's journey/coming of age story, as a teenage girl struggles to survive in a strange land and find her destiny. Except since this story was originally written in the 90s it's also a post-apocalyptic cyberpunk descent into madness, with a penchant for extreme violence that makes a mockery of the PG-13 rating. When the teenage girl is a cyborg, a human brain in a mechanical body with enhanced physical abilities, and her destiny is to continue a 300 year old war that caused the downfall of civilisation.

  15. #30
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Finally more people are exposing what is going on with Captain Marvel, Alita and the true need for female empowerment.



    the great thing about Alita is the artistic merit of the movie. people are blown away by the effects, alita's character, the world building, other movies right now, we cant even have opinions based on some real facts because we are racists and misogynistics by default.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •