Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

I hope you enjoy it. I've heard the 3D is really good, unfortunately I only caught the 2D.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I actually never said what she said was horrible. I also actually stated in a pervious post that there was nothing wrong for what she said. All I said was that she is handling it the wrong way. I'm not against her or the film.

If handled differently this same message would be a slam dunk and the movie would be praised in droves. But when you are wrong you are wrong. Regardless of personal feelings on the matter.

I also can admit that Disney/Marvel seems to weirdly absent in cleaning this up or coaching Brie on how to correctly handle it.
    Again, how has she done this? I've seen nothing but grace, dignity, strength, and appropriate forthrightness from her. The only people not correctly handling it are the ones offended by it. This is not her problem.

Eh, enough of this. It's the wrong thread for it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Again, how has she done this? I've seen nothing but grace, dignity, strength, and appropriate forthrightness from her. The only people not correctly handling it are the ones offended by it. This is not her problem.

Eh, enough of this. It's the wrong thread for it anyway.
    ...you know looking at the whole situation with an open mind if you look at the Rotten T's link you would notice that 3 out of the now 10 pages are from 2018.(It was only at 6 when the articles started coming out) Which pretty much debunks the articles about it being a organized effort.

Continuing on the thought line of being open minded going in...and if you actually have human emotions and understand how normal people converse with one another you would notice how Brie engaged could make certain people feel a little putt off....

What would be the correct way for someone who is offended to handle it in this situation? Praise the film even though the lead actress offended them?

If you really think that, theres this guy named Uncle Tom who you might strike friendship with.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-23-2019 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Removed Joking Language Others Brought Into The Thread To Degrade People Who Disagrees With Them. Such As "NPC" & "Nazi".
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    I will if I ever get ahead on my homework. I've heard good things
    It's worth seeing if you're curious, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I hope you enjoy it. I've heard the 3D is really good, unfortunately I only caught the 2D.
    I saw it in 3D. I think it was a good way to see the movie, although I did kinda tune it out as the movie went on and I got caught up in the story. But I do tend to do that with 3D movies, so maybe it's just me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The animosity is coming from a segment of fandom that is anti-feminist. They have been told that Carol is a "feminist" character so they think it's their duty to attack the character. They're praising Alita the same way someone who says something messed up about race will quickly point out that they have a friend of a different race/ethnicity so they can't be racist.
    I've just stopped watching a LOT of Youtubers because they turned out to be Assholes who literally hate that a woman can punch Thanos. But somehow hasn't earned it, because she didn't have ten years to level up? They can **** right off, especially having NOT seen the movie.

My boy Rob Storms had the best reaction to these idiots.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    I've just stopped watching a LOT of Youtubers because they turned out to be Assholes who literally hate that a woman can punch Thanos. But somehow hasn't earned it, because she didn't have ten years to level up? They can **** right off, especially having NOT seen the movie.

My boy Rob Storms had the best reaction to these idiots.

Look at that video again. Brie Larson has no facial expression. She is worse than Kirsten Stewart. Little Alita's emotions can range from cute to angry.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    ...you know looking at the whole situation with an open mind if you look at the Rotten T's link you would notice that 3 out of the now 10 pages are from 2018.(It was only at 6 when the articles started coming out) Which pretty much debunks the articles about it being a organized effort.

Continuing on the thought line of being open minded going in...and if you actually have human emotions and understand how normal people converse with one another you would notice how Brie engaged could make certain people feel a little putt off....

Kidding aside what would be the correct way for someone who is offended to handle it in this situation? Praise the film even though the lead actress offended them?

If you really think that, theres this guy named Uncle Tom who you might strike friendship with.
    Uncle Tom was the name given to minorities for calling black panther an average film. Aunty Jane will be given to the women who prefer Alita to CM as a better female hero.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think there is some of that, but there are also people doing it who liked the movie. I think you can tell which is which by how the promotion is framed (e.g. is it being used to tear down Captain Marvel or promote Alita on its own merits?).
    Captain Marvel tore herself down thanks to Brie Larson. CM cant afford a rivalry against a James Cameron movie. If James Cameron was to go on a rant that CM is trash in 2 weeks that will fuel the rivalry. Is anyone going to challenge him? I don't need to see CM to know Alita is already the better movie. From the early reactions, CM is another MCU formula movie. Alita deserves more love in the media than another MCU formula movie using gender tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I saw it in 3D too. The 3D was almost as good as Avatar. James Cameron is a visionary, he will never sink as low as to do a 3D conversion. More reason he is likely to be pissed at captain marvel, a movie with 3D conversion
    Last edited by Jeramas; 02-23-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post

Uncle Tom was the name given to minorities for calling black panther an average film. Aunty Jane will be given to the women who prefer Alita to CM as a better female hero.
    I used it correctly in the context of what we were discussing. I'm also not saying that Alita will be better than Captain Marvel or visa versa.

I really enjoyed Alita and I hope more people go and see it. Only reason I started discussing Captain Marvel is because someone else brought it up in the thread.

Just wanted to clarify
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Ok maybe there should be a separate Alita thread where we can talk about the movie in-depth (as in no need for spoiler brackets) cause this thread has long gone in its own direction never to go back.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Ok maybe there should be a separate Alita thread where we can talk about the movie in-depth (as in no need for spoiler brackets) cause this thread has long gone in its own direction never to go back.
    Exactly.

I actually stopped posting because the thread had been completely derailed.

Maybe a separate thread should be started.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

If people actually wanted to continue the topic they could just create a new thread...

I to came in wanting to just discuss Atlita but here we are once again being distracted by SJW/ComicsGate stuff that plays apart in degrading these type of mediums in the first place.

Look at that video again. Brie Larson has no facial expression. She is worse than Kirsten Stewart. Little Alita's emotions can range from cute to angry.
    Bad argument; you're comparing a character in a movie to clips of a character in a trailer. The Captain Marvel trailers are not a complete picture of how Carol Danvers will be depicted, which is pretty common. If when the movie is released and Brie Larson turns in a more wooden performance they Rosa Salazar, then you may have a point, but as of right now, you're making a claim based on incomplete evidence. (For that matter, watch what the late, great Leonard Nimoy did on Star Trek to see how an actor can turn in a great performance with minimal facial expressions.)

Captain Marvel tore herself down thanks to Brie Larson.
    How, exactly? Some people don't like what the actress says in real life. That has nothing to do with how the movie turns out. Besides, how many people care about what Larson says? Pretty much the only people I see making a fuss are those who already had a beef with it.

CM cant afford a rivalry against a James Cameron movie. If James Cameron was to go on a rant that CM is trash in 2 weeks that will fuel the rivalry. Is anyone going to challenge him?
    Absolutely. Remember what happened when he was badmouthing Wonder Woman? I don't think Cameron is quite the force he used to be. I mean, right now his main legacy is a Dances With Wolves in Space movie that at, best, is now thought of as "meh." On top of that, the MCU is going gangbusters, with quite the wining streak. The question should be if Cameron can afford a rivalry with CM.

I don't need to see CM to know Alita is already the better movie.
    That makes no sense.

From the early reactions, CM is another MCU formula movie.
    You mean the ones praising it as being really good?

Alita deserves more love in the media than another MCU formula movie using gender tactics.
    There's room for both.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

AGreed. Alita was a great and fantastic movie. But all over the internet, there are a lot of Right Wing Anti-SJW's who feel the need to inject themselves into every thread where a woman is a hero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Bad argument; you're comparing a character in a movie to clips of a character in a trailer. The Captain Marvel trailers are not a complete picture of how Carol Danvers will be depicted, which is pretty common. If when the movie is released and Brie Larson turns in a more wooden performance they Rosa Salazar, then you may have a point, but as of right now, you're making a claim based on incomplete evidence. (For that matter, watch what the late, great Leonard Nimoy did on Star Trek to see how an actor can turn in a great performance with minimal facial expressions.)
    Rosa had more facial expressions in her own trailer that carried onto the film. Unless the trailer guys are bad at their jobs, what we saw in the trailer of CM is what will be in the film.

How, exactly? Some people don't like what the actress says in real life. That has nothing to do with how the movie turns out. Besides, how many people care about what Larson says? Pretty much the only people I see making a fuss are those who already had a beef with it.
    I will never watch a John Wayne movie because he was a white supremacist.

Absolutely. Remember what happened when he was badmouthing Wonder Woman? I don't think Cameron is quite the force he used to be. I mean, right now his main legacy is a Dances With Wolves in Space movie that at, best, is now thought of as "meh." On top of that, the MCU is going gangbusters, with quite the wining streak.
    Cameron stole from dancing with wolves but he took avatar to another level. MCU stole from First Class and Inception and ended up with poor version of those movies. Whoever Captain marvel steals from, it will end up like the other stolen mcu movies. Cameron might steal but he is a visionary in what he does.
    The question should be if Cameron can afford a rivalry with CM.
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/238...-her-character
    NEWS
    How Alita: Battle Angel Star Rosa Salazar Used Groundbreaking Mo-Cap Effects To Create Her Character

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...the-big-screen

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/alita-...-takes-curated
    Alita: Battle Angel tournament ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL IS THE BEST MANGA MOVIE ADAPTATION YET: HOT TAKES, CURATED

What impact is captain marvel going to have in movies. Alita is going to change how sci-fi films are made. Captain marvel 2 is more likely to steal from alita. James Cameron will never steal from the MCU, he will never sink that low.

You mean the ones praising it as being really good?
    The low standard of Hilarous and jokes seems to be the only good thing about Captain Marvel from the early reactions. Alita had stakes, a well rounded female character, good effects, good female empowering story , no male bashing. Alita feels more wonder woman than captain marvel.

There's room for both.
    The media and critics don't want that. china will save it and the good will of alita will only spread.
    Last edited by Jeramas; 02-23-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The people I see promote the movie are anime fans. Hollywood finally did a good adaption and they are more like it.
    yeah, I see this as more of an anime/manga thing. a lot of folks simply enjoy manga and anime more than they enjoy DC or Marvel. and not without reason. yeah, I own some of the classic early Spiderman and a random sampling of my favorite Batman and Superman stories... but something like 2/3rds of my collection is manga and indie stuff. I just prefer it because it tends to be more 'creator owned' and 'creator controlled' than the Big Two. as such, the stories tend to have more definite beginnings, middles, and ends... and feel more rewarding to me.

some manga fans tend to treat manga as if it were better than Western comics on general principle because only the best stuff gets exported... and I think that's unfair, since there's plenty of terrible manga!

Mighty Member

I enjoyed the film.... but some of the acting was over-the-top. the combination of Cameron and Rodriguez worked a bit better than I thought it would. I enjoyed Waltz and Salazar... I even thought the rewrite of Ido's backstory worked. Ido was kinda cool in the manga but he was really, really generic. I think they improved on his character here. I don't remember Chiren from the manga - but it gave more drama for Ido onscreen so I didn't mind.

Ali and Connelley did okay too. but some of the supporting actors were just laugh-out-loud cheesy. considering Rodriguez gave us "Machete" this didn't surprise me TOO much. overall, I felt like it was a fun film. it's probably the best live-action adaptation of a manga that I can remember. didn't really care for Hugo so... the way his story arc didn't really move me but... I never liked that character to begin with.

Salazar did a good job of making Alita a fun character...

one of my favorite parts of the film is how Ido ends the bar fight. don't remember it in the manga... but I thought it was funny.