Default A New Comic Reader

So I’ve just gotten into reading comics and since I’m a Batman fan I’ve started with The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns, any other suggestions for good Batman Stories to read?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jøker View Post
    So I’ve just gotten into reading comics and since I’m a Batman fan I’ve started with The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns, any other suggestions for good Batman Stories to read?
    Great taste. Batman: Year One is a must read, best Batman story ever IMHO. Also recommend Batman: The Long Halloween, Batman: The Black Mirror and Batwoman: Elegy.

Astonishing Member

Grant Morrison's Batman run after the above.

Well here it goes:

For his origin you must read Batman: Year One by Frank Miller

For a good story and Two-Face's origins you ought to read Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeff Loeb

For a great story on the Joker you must read (really must) Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth by Grant Morrison

If you care about Robin (Dick Grayson) and Batgirl, you can read Robin: Year one and Batgirl: Year one.

If want you to know what happened to Jason Todd you can read Batman: A Death in the Familly

I suggest the long saga in 3-4 act Knightfall (Knightfall + Knightquest + KnightsEnd + Prodigual).
    This saga includs The Vengeance of Bane, his great origine. A very good story.
    Before you read Knightfall you should read Batman: Sword of Azrael to know who he is.

If you like Catwoman, I suggest the excellent Ed Brubaker's run on Catwoman

After Knightfall you have 2 small sagas: Contagion, and Cataclysm (prequel to No Man's Land)

Then of course you have the huge No Man's Land Saga that I suggest reading

After that come 2 runs/sagas: New Gotham followed by Bruce Wayne: Murderer & Bruce Wayne: Fugitive

Along these 2 runs, there is the great Gotham Central serie that you can read

After that or on its own you can read Batman: Hush, not the best but still an important story to read.
    After Hush I really suggest Paul Dini's run (yes the one that wrote the 90's cartoon serie):
    Batman: Detective + Batman: Death and the City + Batman: Private Casebook
    Batman: Heart of Hush + Batman, Streets of Gotham: Hush Money + Batman, Streets of Gotham: Leviathan + Batman, Streets of Gotham: The House of Hush
    An excellent run

For more Paul Dini I also suggest his excellent Harley Quinn: Mad Love

Then you should read about the Al Ghul familly:
    Batman: Birth of the Demon + Son Of The Demon + Bride Of The Demon
    Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul

Once these read (You should), you must reat the huge Grant Morrison's run. It starts out great (Batman's son), then gets a little bit confusion (Batman in time), and ends awswome (Batman Inc.)
    Before you can read the return of Jason Todd, Batman: Under the Red Hood + Red Hood: The Lost Days
    So Grant Morrison's run goes as follows:
    Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus Vol. 1
    Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn + Batman vs. Robin + Batman and Robin Must Die! + Dark Knight vs. White Knight
    Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne
    Batman Inc vol.1 - Batman Incorporated Deluxe Edition + Batman Inc vol.2 - Demon Star + Gotham's Most Wanted

Once, and only once you've read Batman Inc, you must read Batman & Robin New52 by Peter Tomasi <-one of my favorit runs

Before that If you like the Justice League I suggest JLA: Tower Of Babel

Then of course you can read Batman New52 by Scott Snyder. I found it not very good.
    I would only sugget the first 2 volumes on the Court of Owl.

During the New52 era, I prefered Batman & Robin, but also Knightwing follow by the Grayson serie.

After that came the Rebirth era, which is also so so.
    I would only suggest the mini-serie Batman: White Knight that is excellent and can be read on its own.

If you've got a liking for The Penguin you can read:
    Penguin: Pain and Prejudice
    Detective Comics New52: Emperor Penguin

If you like Mr. Freeze you can read:
    Batman: Snow

And for more lesser know vilains I suggest:
    Arkham Asylum: Living Hell <- a very crazy book with the sad Humpty Dumpty

And for an excellent crazy story on the Joker:
    Joker by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo

For Hugo Strange stuff:
    Batman and the Monster Men
    Batman: Prey + Batman: Terror
    Batman Arkham: Hugo Strange

If you are into the Scarecrow:
    Batman, the Dark Knight: Cycle of Violence <- probably the darkest Batman story

For some Clayface and Man-Bat
    Batman, the Dark Knight: Clay

Then for some excellement elseworld stories:
    Batman: Earth One vol.1-2
    Batman: The Doom that came to Gotham <- by Hellboy's creator
    Batman & Dracula: Red Rain + Batman Bloodstorm + Batman: Crimson Mist <- awsome trio of stories

Have fun
    Last edited by jb681131; 02-15-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Well here it goes:

For his origin you must read Batman: Year One by Frank Miller

For a good story and Two-Face's origins you ought to read Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeff Loeb

For a great story on the Joker you must read (really must) Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth by Grant Morrison

If you care about Robin (Dick Grayson) and Batgirl, you can read Robin: Year one and Batgirl: Year one.

If want you to know what happened to Jason Todd you can read Batman: A Death in the Familly

I suggest the long saga in 3-4 act Knightfall (Knightfall + Knightquest + KnightsEnd + Prodigual).
    This saga includs The Vengeance of Bane, his great origine. A very good story.

If you like Catwoman, I suggest the excellent Ed Brubaker's run on Catwoman

After Knightfall you have 2 small sagas: Contagion, and Cataclysm (prequel to No Man's Land)

Then of course you have the huge No Man's Land Saga that I suggest reading

After that come 2 runs/sagas: New Gotham followed by Bruce Wayne: Murderer & Bruce Wayne: Fugitive

Along these 2 runs, there is the great Gotham Central serie that you can read

After that or on its own you can read Batman: Hush, not the best but still an important story to read.
    After Hush I really suggest Paul Dini's run (yes the one that wrote the 90's cartoon serie):
    Batman: Detective + Batman: Death and the City + Batman: Private Casebook
    Batman: Heart of Hush + Batman, Streets of Gotham: Hush Money + Batman, Streets of Gotham: Leviathan + Batman, Streets of Gotham: The House of Hush
    An excellent run

For more Paul Dini I also suggest his excellent Harley Quinn: Mad Love

Then you should read about the Al Ghul familly:
    Batman: Birth of the Demon + Son Of The Demon + Bride Of The Demon
    Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul

Once these read (You should), you must reat the huge Grant Morrison's run. It starts out great (Batman's son), then gets a little bit confusion (Batman in time), and ends awswome (Batman Inc.)
    Before you can read the return of Jason Todd, Batman: Under the Red Hood + Red Hood: The Lost Days
    So Grant Morrison's run goes as follows:
    Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus Vol. 1
    Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn + Batman vs. Robin + Batman and Robin Must Die! + Dark Knight vs. White Knight
    Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne
    Batman Inc vol. - Batman Incorporated Deluxe Edition + Batman Inc vol.2 - Demon Star + Gotham's Most Wanted

Once, and only once you've read Batman Inc, you must read Batman & Robin New52 by Peter Tomasi <-one of my favorit runs

Before that If you like the Justice League I suggest JLA: Tower Of Babel

Then of course you can read Batman New52 by Scott Snyder. I found it not very good.
    I would only sugget the first 2 volumes on the Court of Owl.

During the New52 era, I prefered Batman & Robin, but also Knightwing follow by the Grayson serie.

After that came the Rebirth era, which is also so so.
    I would only suggest the mini-serie Batman: White Knight that is excellent and can be read on its own.

If you've got a liking for The Penguin you can read:
    Penguin: Pain and Prejudice
    Detective Comics New52: Emperor Penguin

If you like Mr. Freeze you can read:
    Batman: Snow

And for more lesser know vilains I suggest:
    Arkham Asylum: Living Hell

And for an excellent crazy story on the Joker:
    Joker by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo

For Hugo Strange stuff:
    Batman: Prey + Batman: Terror
    Batman Arkham: Hugo Strange

If you are into Hugo Strange:
    Batman, the Dark Knight: Cycle of Violance <- probably the darkest Batman story

For some Clayface and Man-Bat
    Batman, the Dark Knight: Clay

Then for some excellement elseworld stories:
    Batman: Earth One vol.1-2
    Batman: The Doom that came to Gotham <- by Hellboy's creator
    Batman & Dracula: Red Rain + Batman Bloodstorm + Batman: Crimson Mist <- awsome trio of stories

Have fun
    Think I’ll read Batman Year One next

Think I’ll read Batman Year One next
    Re-read my post, I corrected a few errors I wrote.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Re-read my post, I corrected a few errors I wrote.
    Spotted a couple:

It's Jeph Loeb, not Jeff Loeb.
    Missing the s of series for Gotham Central.
    Nightwing not Knightwing.

---

For Elseworlds, I'd recommend Kingdom Come and Gotham by Gaslight though that's your choice to or not.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 02-16-2019 at 04:05 AM.

Year One
    Long Halloween
    Dark Victory
    Prey
    Batman and the Mad Monk
    Snyder's New52 origin Zero Year (I actually prefer this over Year One as far as origin stories go)

You could try Batman: Black and White, which has a plethora of artistic interpretations of the Batman. Also, this series has the unlikely innovation of having every story rendered in black & white.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-16-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.