Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Hello, Wave!
    She looks cool. It will be interesting to learn more about her and what her abilities are.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

She looks really great.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Greg Pak started a Twitter conversation about Wave here; a lot of Filipino fans are already chiming in with the added bonus of Yu as the artist. You guys are all invited to join in!

Mabuhay si Wave! ("Long live Wave!")
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Hello, Wave!
    Definitely see a lot of potential here. Looks very cool. My Filipino side is very proud to see this! Also, having Francis Lenil Yu design her kinda fits like a glove, y'know?

Still, I wonder what her powers would be? Hydrokinesis? Marine life telepathy? Something completely different? And I admit, there's a little bit of hesitancy. In terms of the design, I feel the blades could have been a little narrower and curved. They look a bit too wide for me. But that's just nitpicking.

In any case, hoping the best for Wave.

Also, just wanted to chime in on White Fox:

She makes an appearance in the latest "Hotshots" limited series. Saw her and researched her and I'm liking what I'm seeing. Fox spirit spy? I can dig that.

Really looking forward to the Agents of Atlas series!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that is Wave's powerset. There's no doubt she'll be similar in terms of powerset to what Namor, Aquaman, and Aqualad have.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Wave looks really cool. I loved White Fox's appearance in Hotshots and I hope these characters get to appear more often in higher profile books.
    I think it would be awesome if one of these heroes joined the Avengers. Way too many Americans for Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Hey all. Just thought I'd share the process behind making Wave. C.B. Cebulski and Francis Lenil Yu shared the collaboration that went into this project over at Bleeding Cool:

I got to talk to Leinil over dinner. It turns out it was C.B., himself, who emailed Leinil sometime early February, asking if he was interested to design a new character who happens to be Filipina. Of course, Leinil replied: “Yes, I want to do it!… To be given an opportunity like this, there was really no way I could say no to it,”

C.B. then got Leinil, writer and Wave creator Greg, and a number of editors from Marvel on an email thread so they could brainstorm. Greg sent Leinil some notes and he received an image of this Filipina in a black diving suit / rash guard with some pink highlights.

Leinil shared that Wave is from Cebu and she uses technology. Wave wasn’t born with powers nor was there any magic used. It was all Greg Pak who thought of it. The name hadn’t been thought of yet at the time with Leinil.

Wave’s design didn’t have any color guides so Leinil ran with it. “Initially I wanted to put some Filipino symbology into it like the rays of the sun but then I realized it might be too out there. Wolverine being Canadian doesn’t have a maple leaf in his costume. But I still wanted some elements so it was the Lapu-Lapu inspired swords that I put there.”

Wave’s Cebu roots come full circle with the Lapu-Lapu inspired swords. The teal color was the final approved color highlight since Wave is water-based. Leinil shared that he dabbled with some sky blue and pink initially but it was the teal color he went with. Wave also has a retractable mask.

“The Marvel editors asked for goggles but I wanted to show her face so I made it a translucent retractable mask that covers her nose so she can breathe as well,”
    Nice to read that Wave is a tech based character. Again, while delving into Asian culture is cool, people gotta know that Asian superheroes don't just derive their powers from dragons or a mythic past. A Filipina who uses technology? That's a part of the narrative you don't hear too often. Still, there is some cultural ties. Wave is from Cebu? So she would be Visayan, correct? If so, I'm cool with that (though part of me wishes she was Illocano ). Lapu-Lapu inspired swords? Pretty cool. I do hope that Wave displays some underwater Eskrima with those blades.

As an aside, yeah we talked about Big Hero Six not being available, but these guys could have fit in, right?:

"I am a man of peace."

I think if they were going to add a Japanese character Radiance, who holds dual citizenship in Japan and America, would be the best fit.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Ryoko_Sabuki_(Earth-616)

Koreans hate the Japanese, they were once ruled by them. There's a good reason none of those guys are on this team.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Koreans hate the Japanese, they were once ruled by them. There's a good reason none of those guys are on this team.
    Why i said Radiance would be the perfect character with her dual citizenship. This is essential an Ameican/Chinese team not Korean.

Dude, you do realise that Silk and Amadeus are both Korean Americans and Crescent and Luna Snow are native Koreans? Half the team is Korean.

Dude, you do realise that Silk and Amadeus are both Korean Americans and Crescent and Luna Snow are native Koreans? Korean is the majority nationality of this team.
    Korean and Korean American and White Fox i believe is there as well. But this is a team coming together by Jimmy Woo most likely. Also a team of Asian heroes coming together to save the world from an alien threat so i don't believe they would say no to Radiance are any Asian hero willing to help. I could be wrong. Has it been stated the reason there is no Japanese hero/heroine on the team is because of the Korean heroes?

The actual breakdown of the team

Chinese
    Aero
    Shang-Chi
    Sword Master

Korean
    Crescent
    Luna Snow
    White Fox

Korean American
    Brawn
    Silk

Chinese American
    Jimmy Woo

Filipino
    Wave

?
    Io

So the team as you stated is primarily Korean/Korean American followed closely by Chinese/Chinese American but would Brawn and Silk have the same prejudices working with Japanese/Japanese Americans?
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 03-11-2019 at 07:51 PM.

"Hate" is a very strong word. I think that it's a bit too simplistic to describe the relationship between Koreans and Japanese in that way. Yes, a lot of Koreans (old and young generations) will remember 35 yrs. of Japanese colonization and WWII comfort women. They'll talk about the bad relations they have with Japan whenever there's a big territorial dispute. There might be some hard feelings, but they'd be small. Many Koreans and Japanese (and Chinese and Filipinos) live and work in one another's countries. They do admire what the others have done. They'll enjoy each other's foods and cuisine, TV shows and clothing, basically each other's culture. They will be friends with one another. Hell they'll even marry one another. Indeed, you can check out what Koreans think of Japanese here:

(Really love this channel by the way. Deals with topics all over Northeast, Southeast, and South Asia.)

So yeah, the Korean characters could get along with the Japanese ones. However, I don't think certain characters would get along with one another. I would love, LOVE to see a Japanese nationalist like Sunfire get into a heated argument (no pun intended) with Korean government agent White Fox. I'd guarantee you they'd push one another's buttons. Even on that stylistic level, red and fiery Sunfire facing together with white and blue White Fox is awesome. So yes, Japanese characters with Korean ones, it could work.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

So yeah, the Korean characters could get along with the Japanese ones. However, I don't think certain characters would get along with one another. I would love, LOVE to see a Japanese nationalist like Sunfire get into a heated argument (no pun intended) with Korean government agent White Fox. I'd guarantee you they'd push one another's buttons. Even on that stylistic level, red and fiery Sunfire facing together with white and blue White Fox is awesome. So yes, Japanese characters with Korean ones, it could work.
    Seriously, look at these two. It could work!

"I am a man of peace."

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Hey all. Just thought I'd share the process behind making Wave. C.B. Cebulski and Francis Lenil Yu shared the collaboration that went into this project over at Bleeding Cool:

A Filipina who uses technology? That's a part of the narrative you don't hear too often. Still, there is some cultural ties. Wave is from Cebu? So she would be Visayan, correct?
    Thanks for sharing that with us. Yes, a Cebuano is indeed Visayan; I have Boholano ancestry (also Visayan but with a Boholano dialect of the Visayan/Cebuano language, and many Boholanos take pains to distinguish themselves from the Cebuanos.
    "Hate" is a very strong word. I think that it's a bit too simplistic to describe the relationship between Koreans and Japanese in that way.
    I'll back this up, because from working with my peers from both countries in regional science seminars, Asians formerly subjugated by Japan are willing to work with them, particularly the younger generation. And even among the older generations, those who aren't hard-core nationalists are simply pragmatic and are willing to look beyond the dark side of history which was mostly carried out by governments, even though significant numbers of the civilian population backed them. And lastly, this is the proverbial "united against a common enemy" narrative as far as WotR is concerned should Sunfire and his colleagues later show up.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES