Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Not yet, but there are new Asian heroes joining the game, all summoned by Io. Probably like Luna Snow, they will later be introduced into 616.

Watching the clip again, I caught a particular detail. War Tiger, Blue Dragon, Sun Bird, Shadow Shell, guys these characters are based on the Four Heavenly Beasts of Chinese mythology!:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Symbols

These four beasts are associated with the four directions, four elements, and a host of other qualities. Furthermore, they are a staple of Japanese anime. Fans of Yu Yu Hakusho will definitely remember the Saint Beasts arc.

The more you know!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Damn, these Asian music industry standards are tough! Luna must be going through a ton of pressure right about now!
    The K-Pop scene is suffering a tragic spate of suicides, sadly.

https://www.eonline.com/ap/news/1082...plaguing-k-pop
    Watching the clip again, I caught a particular detail. War Tiger, Blue Dragon, Sun Bird, Shadow Shell, guys these characters are based on the Four Heavenly Beasts of Chinese mythology!:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Symbols

These four beasts are associated with the four directions, four elements, and a host of other qualities…

The more you know!
    There was something familiar with them that was nagging at the back of my head, so thanks for bringing that up!
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I thought the Four Heavenly Beasts connection was kinda blatant. But I guess not everyone is familiar with their symbolism.

Personally I headcanoned that the Tiger God that powered the various White Tigers and their amulets was also the White Tiger of the West

If you're in the UK, you'll be asked if you want to view the article on the UK site - say no to that, as the UK version of the article is blank.

And wow. Just wow. I knew about Sulli - I read about that one on the BBC News website. But I didn't know there'd been so many before that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If you're in the UK, you'll be asked if you want to view the article on the UK site - say no to that, as the UK version of the article is blank.

And wow. Just wow. I knew about Sulli - I read about that one on the BBC News website. But I didn't know there'd been so many before that.
    Very sad and tragic to hear, especially considering their ages. The effects of these suicides are huge especially in consideration of the fans. While student teaching one day, one of my students absolutely bawled when hearing about the death of one of her favorite K-Pop stars.

There was something familiar with them that was nagging at the back of my head, so thanks for bringing that up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I thought the Four Heavenly Beasts connection was kinda blatant. But I guess not everyone is familiar with their symbolism.

Personally I headcanoned that the Tiger God that powered the various White Tigers and their amulets was also the White Tiger of the West
    No problem. Yeah, now that you mention it having the Tiger God that powered the White Tigers be the White Tiger of the West would be cool. Drawing more inspiration from actual East Asian mythology is a way to put authenticity in there. There would also be that connection to K'un Lun since the White Tiger amulet comes from there.

Ultimately, I hope that these new characters do show up in Agents of Atlas. Quite honestly, they're pretty cool looking. Love the looks of Shadow Shell and Sun Bird. At the same time, in regards to the Agents themselves, well, I hope that this isn't the final stop for these characters. Said it before, but I wouldn't want Aero, Wave, Sword Master, and the other characters we've seen here just be seen as Asian characters on the Agents of Atlas. I see the potential them ending up on an Avengers, Champions, Defenders, or any other Marvel team. Before that happens though, hey, we need to see the crossovers. What happens when the Avengers or the X-Men have to deal with the Agents?
    "I am a man of peace."

I think if Marvel keeps commissioning Agent of Atlats mini's then they'll probably get to every new Asian hero they introduce in Mobile Games .

Ultimately, I hope that these new characters do show up in Agents of Atlas. Quite honestly, they're pretty cool looking. Love the looks of Shadow Shell and Sun Bird. At the same time, in regards to the Agents themselves, well, I hope that this isn't the final stop for these characters. Said it before, but I wouldn't want Aero, Wave, Sword Master, and the other characters we've seen here just be seen as Asian characters on the Agents of Atlas. I see the potential them ending up on an Avengers, Champions, Defenders, or any other Marvel team. Before that happens though, hey, we need to see the crossovers. What happens when the Avengers or the X-Men have to deal with the Agents?
    I actually think the Agents would be likely to take the X-Men's side. They're an international team after all, so they wouldn't approve of people who block freedom of movement i.e. preventing mutants from getting to Krakoa. There's actually a former Avenger on both Agents of Atlas squads (3-D Man on the original one, who was Triathlon is Busiek's Avengers run in the late 90s, and Amadeus in the modern one, from the Dark Reign Mighty Avengers), so how the Avengers would react to the AoA would be interesting.

As for Agents joining other teams, I'd say Luna's juggling enough as it is because of her music career, but she could use international tours as a way to justify spending time in the US. Crescent is just a kid and thus probably needs to stay close to home for school - though recruiting Pinpoint from the Champions would solve that problem. I could've seen White Fox joining SHIELD if that hadn't disbanded. Silk is likely to only be used on Spider-Verse teamups, as most authors would probably choose to use Peter, Miles, Gwen or Jessica instead. I could see Sword Master on a Defenders team, especially if Shang Chi was there too. Street level type team like Bendis's and Netflix, rather than the classic type one. His solo's backups already show him living in New York. Wave could be useful for the Agents of Wakanda or even the Avengers themselves, especially if Namor's the one causing trouble. We'll have to see if Atlantis Attacks causes the US superhero community to take notice of her.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 11-02-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Its been a while since Ive seen Yu Yu hakusho so i didn't pick up on the 4 heavenly beasts connection.

They seem cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think if Marvel keeps commissioning Agent of Atlats mini's then they'll probably get to every new Asian hero they introduce in Mobile Games .
    Ha, here's hoping bro!

I actually think the Agents would be likely to take the X-Men's side. They're an international team after all, so they wouldn't approve of people who block freedom of movement i.e. preventing mutants from getting to Krakoa. There's actually a former Avenger on both Agents of Atlas squads (3-D Man on the original one, who was Triathlon is Busiek's Avengers run in the late 90s, and Amadeus in the modern one, from the Dark Reign Mighty Avengers), so how the Avengers would react to the AoA would be interesting.
    Quite interesting! In terms of loyalties, you're right, a lot of the agents have ties to other teams, groups, or "families." Amadeus was a part of the Mighty Avengers, Shang was part of Hickman's Avengers, Silk is part of the Spiderverse, it would be interesting to see who the agents would side with if there were ever a conflict.

Speaking of Krakoa, I think that (yes, you guessed it) Sunfire would play against type here. Again, if he'd ever be part of an Agents/X-Men crossover, who he sides with would be very interesting. Honestly, I think he would put nation ahead of genetics. He's more devoted to Japan than being a mutant. If Krakoa got caught up with Japan, and the Agents and X-Men had to intervene, well, Sunfire would be that (no pun intended) x-factor who plays his own side.

But yeah, let's just get Sunfire first on the Agents before talking about any of these storylines .

As for Agents joining other teams, I'd say Luna's juggling enough as it is because of her music career, but she could use international tours as a way to justify spending time in the US. Crescent is just a kid and thus probably needs to stay close to home for school - though recruiting Pinpoint from the Champions would solve that problem. I could've seen White Fox joining SHIELD if that hadn't disbanded. Silk is likely to only be used on Spider-Verse teamups, as most authors would probably choose to use Peter, Miles, Gwen or Jessica instead. I could see Sword Master on a Defenders team, especially if Shang Chi was there too. Street level type team like Bendis's and Netflix, rather than the classic type one. His solo's backups already show him living in New York. Wave could be useful for the Agents of Wakanda or even the Avengers themselves, especially if Namor's the one causing trouble. We'll have to see if Atlantis Attacks causes the US superhero community to take notice of her.
    Sword Master could be on a mystical team, a la Dr. Strange's Secret Defenders. I could see White Fox being a Korean liaison to SHIELD. Helps out whenever SHIELD needs to do something in East Asia or Korea. Again, her loyalty is first and foremost to Korea. The prime candidates for the Avengers would definitely be either Aero or Wave. The look, they power, that'd make great additions to the Avengers.
    "I am a man of peace."

Mighty Member

I finally got to read Crescent and Io. I enjoyed it more than I would. I kind of knew the plot off the bat since Future Fight, but I was glad to see it play out how it did in the comic. I liked the framing device if Jimmy Woo.

For the Future Avengers, I don't have much to say about them. I liked their anime, mainly because I rather enjoyed the first animated appearance of Kid Kaiju, but their comic appearances have been a wad of meh to me.

Thanks for the preview. We're seeing that attitude of discrimination that's found in Asia. Whether it's rooted in class or ethnicity, discrimination certainly exists in Asia and we see it exhibited against the refugees.

Nice to see Lin Lie get his moment as well. Speaking of which, read the latest Sword Master issue. The main story seems to be moving at a slow crawl. This issue it seemed to be a lot of Dr. Strange. The side story was cool, though those moments mainly belonged to Shang. Yes, he used that three-section-staff like a champ!

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I finally got to read Crescent and Io. I enjoyed it more than I would. I kind of knew the plot off the bat since Future Fight, but I was glad to see it play out how it did in the comic. I liked the framing device if Jimmy Woo.
    I was surprised too. The art looked a little too cartoony for me, but that concern went away with the main story. Crescent is another Agents character who has problems with the family (a point which Jimmy and Mr. Lao made in the story). Seeing how a ten year old kid has to deal with that, it's very tough.

A couple of questions though. I was confused seeing Jimmy, White Fox, and Luna approach Crescent. Didn't they all meet during the WotR event?

Secondly, who is looking after Dan Bi now? Since her parents are gone, who is her family?

For the Future Avengers, I don't have much to say about them. I liked their anime, mainly because I rather enjoyed the first animated appearance of Kid Kaiju, but their comic appearances have been a wad of meh to me.
    I'm in agreement. Hate to say, but that's the part of the comic that I avoid. Just not really interested in this group. They're being pushed to be something big, fighting the Avengers and all, but they really aren't.
    "I am a man of peace."

Is that school Jimmy runs a boarding school? If so, that's probably Dan Bi's living arrangements now.

As for when they first met, wasn't it just Amadeus, Shang, and Cindy who met the others for the first time in WOTR? We never saw how the new members met. Seems like Jimmy recruited these new guys and then merged the Protectors (minus Kamala, who quit in NAoA issue 1) into it.

What the hell happened? Aero and the team book's sales have plummeted!
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-10.html

Compare this to the previous month...
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-09.html

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

What the hell happened? Aero and the team book's sales have plummeted!
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-10.html

Compare this to the previous month...
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-09.html
    The team book was likely overshipped last month. Just look at the difference between the unit and dollar ranking (58 to 139). The book is probably selling now what it would normally sell without an overship, that's all. Sword Master was probably overshipped too, but it was already under the 20k mark, so it's not exactly shocking that it's low now. Aero is the one that seems to have genuinely plummeted, since it doesn't seem like there was much of an overship in September (as a matter of fact, its dollar ranking was actually higher than the unit ranking). The sales for the one-shots were also pretty underwhelming. It's looks like the AOA initiative is simply not catching on in the american direct market, which is not to say those characters can't survive through other markets.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 11-12-2019 at 06:31 PM.