Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I do mind cause it's really superfluous and adds nothing. I didn't need dialogue from that utterly throw away pilot from chapter one and I don't need her commenting on throw away golems, like they're a big deal whem they're clearly not.

Good news guys, the backup story is set in the present day, the new team gets mentioned in it.

Though I'm confused about two things.
    spoilers:
    One, how is Gorilla Man still with the team, when he's meant to be with the Agents of Wakanda now? And two, what the hell are they playing at!?! They went and rescued Cressida - a villain from Waid's Avengers run!
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

These Rewrites to Aero are just so god damn egregious. I can't enjoy this knowing there are literal pages worth of text that didn't that don't add anything. Not even counting the complete butchering of the story format.
    Last edited by Woozie; 08-17-2019 at 04:16 AM.

Mighty Member

Also Pan looks really god damn stupid right next to Krakoa.

How is the completely fictional version of the thing so exceptionally less dumb?

Just finished Agents of Atlas #1 and Aero #2. Here are a couple of my thoughts:

spoilers:

- I thought that I wasn't going to like the art. As compared to Gang's art, Leon's art didn't seem to capture the action and nuance of the previous series. However, looking at it now, man, Leon does a terrific job! I particularly liked how he depicted those subtle facial expressions and quiet moments. I actually laughed seeing Crescent at a family reunion. On the other side, the action was well done. Though I saw it in the previews, that fight scene between Isaac and the dragon was still dynamic!

- There's a big cast of characters here. (And it only gets larger with the appearance of Giant-Man! YES!!!! Dug him during his appearances in Ant-Man and I'm so proud to see him here!) In much the same way as the previous mini, the focus seems to be primarily on Amadeus though Silk and Jimmy have moments as well. As I've said before, I'm alright with that. With solos like Aero and Sword Master out now and other solos focusing on Luna, Crescent, and White Fox coming out soon, we'll get a bigger focus on them. For now, the auxiliary characters still feel intregal to the story. Yeah, White Fox wasn't here, but that's okay. We're getting that rotating cast of characters, with Isaac and Giant-Man.

- I'm ambivalent towards this idea of Pan. There were a lot of ideas that were thrown out there. The concept of all of these Asian communities coming together is cool. Differences in culture, class, politics, and ethnicity all could serve as barriers for understanding. But I liked how the Asian people were more interested in getting to know one another. Still, I'm confused. Why does Nyguen want to unite all of these Asian areas? Why not the world? Isaac just popped out of nowhere. Who is he? How is he related to all of this? Pak pulls off a balancing act with this. It almost gets a bit too rushed, but he handles it well.

- Liked the ending of the main story as well as the backups. Great to see the other Agents in action. (Totally geeked out after seeing Delroy. Huge fan of his back during his Avengers days). It also goes to show just how much of a player Jimmy is. No, he isn't a part of S.H.I.E.L.D., but he runs something greater. Indeed, that hint from Mr. Thong, that a great clash of dragons is on the horizon, that Jimmy (and others) are gathering pieces, that's so cool! So, who is going to get involved here? Besides the agents, who else is in play? The Hand? K'un Lun? Shang's father? Lots of good potential here, with the fate of Asia in the balance!
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Good news guys, the backup story is set in the present day, the new team gets mentioned in it.

Though I'm confused about two things.
    spoilers:
    One, how is Gorilla Man still with the team, when he's meant to be with the Agents of Wakanda now? And two, what the hell are they playing at!?! They went and rescued Cressida - a villain from Waid's Avengers run!
    end of spoilers
    Hmmm, maybe Gorilla Man is doing double duty? In any case, I'm glad he's a part of the team. I can't imagine an Agents of Atlas without him! As for Cressida, never heard of her before. Powers? Strengths?

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    These Rewritesnto Aero are just so god damn egregious. I can't enjoy this knowing there are literal pagesbworth of text that didn't that don't add anything. Not evem counting the complete butchering of the story format.
    I'll agree to disagree Woozie. I haven't read the original, but I like what I see here. Perhaps the writing is a bit superfluous, but it does paint a picture for me. Indeed, I'm honestly shocked at how powerful Aero is. This isn't just some flying around, shoot wind type of hero. Rather, Aero is creating swords? Sensing chi? Picking up air vibrations? This is some creative stuff here!

As for Wave, her meeting her family was cool. Seeing her with her titas and lolo, reminded me of home. At the same time, it did feel a little roundabout. It took that long for Aero and Wave to figure out investigating the bad scientists? Hmmm, okay I'll bite.

Really happy with what I've seen this week! Looking forward to more!

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Also Pan looks really god damn stupid right next to Krakoa.

How is the completely fictional version of the thing so exceptionally less dumb?
    It seemed a little rushed yes. But the idea of all of these different Asian cultures and polities meeting one another? Do we have conflict or understanding? That's the big issue that confronts a lot of Asian countries now. Indeed, just look at the boycotts between Korea and Japan now. Or the protests in Hong Kong against Beijing . It's a very relevant topic that seems worthy of exploration.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 08-07-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member

Can I make a special request and get Aero's artist on Agents of Atlas, like wow I was blown away. It definitely does a good job capturing the anime art style and the energy and movement is reminiscent as to one of the reasons why I prefer manga over western comics.
    Overall I'll be sticking with both series but if only we could spread the Aero's artist around, I'd be a happy camper lol.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

I'll agree to disagree Woozie. I haven't read the original, but I like what I see here. Perhaps the writing is a bit superfluous, but it does paint a picture for me. Indeed, I'm honestly shocked at how powerful Aero is. This isn't just some flying around, shoot wind type of hero. Rather, Aero is creating swords? Sensing chi? Picking up air vibrations? This is some creative stuff here!

I just can't see the point when a lot of the things that are being described have visual cues that explain themselves. Aero is suffering from too much exposition when it's unnecessary. The dialogue doesn't need to tell me that a giant is punching at her, when the book clearly shows it.

I don't need a bunch of superfluous dialogue when a sentence will do.

Brevity is the soul of wit, and the translation completely fails to understand that.

And that's not counting the fact that these rewrites completely break up the action for no real reason. They've already broken up the first two major fights several different ways and so it just flows awkwardly. All to insert more dialogue I guess.

As for Cressida, never heard of her before. Powers? Strengths?
    She can boost other heroes' powers - but it turned out to be at someone else's expense, she drains lifeforce. Look at the Avengers .1 issues published three years ago. Her codename is Avenger X.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Can I make a special request and get Aero's artist on Agents of Atlas, like wow I was blown away. It definitely does a good job capturing the anime art style and the energy and movement is reminiscent as to one of the reasons why I prefer manga over western comics.
    Overall I'll be sticking with both series but if only we could spread the Aero's artist around, I'd be a happy camper lol.
    If you mean the main story, that artist is actually Chinese, that's why it looks similar to manga. The series was actually created for the Chinese market.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I really liked this first issue

spoilers:

Pros:
    Amadeus being proven wrong about the public's reaction to Pan was a nice moment. It's a hopeful message, that people are generally better than we give them credit for.
    Pan is an interesting setting, and it should be fun to watch the team fighting dragons throughout various landmarks and cities.
    Isaac Ikeda has a great design and I can't wait to see more of him.
    Raz Maholtra showing up was nice as well, I'm glad he's getting more exposure.
    It was a pleasant surprise to see 3D-Man with the original AoA team, I thought he may have left off panel. Interesting to see Namora and Ken still with them as well.

I'm particularly glad to see Mr. Lao again. The Dragon Clan Wars and the Dragon's Corridor were great concepts and I'm glad they're being utilized again.

Cons:
    Not a ton of development for the huge cast, but I guess it's inevitable when they keep adding more characters in.
    I'm not looking forward to the inevitable jealousy from Amadeus if something happens between Isaac and Luna.
    Of all the characters to bring back I'm not crazy about Avenger X/Cressida. It was such a boring story.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

This issue was fun. I do believe the joke about Amadeus falling for Cindy did drag a bit.

I forgot 3-D Man was part of this team, but hot Bob/cool weird alien Bob and most importantly VENUS are back! Also, big dragon war sounds dope. The only Parker Atlas story I don't like is the last one, so I'm glad that is no longer the last one and that the new one is cool.

The main story is great, too. Leon art is poppin', and son of Spencer and my boy GIANT-MAN showed up out of nowhere, which makes me very happy! Ammy and Cindy, along with the others, have more of a rapport this time around, which is cool. But also, her makeup game, it's blessed. Pan sounds like a good hustle. And I'm gonna be a massive nerd and believe that Shang-Chi taking a taxi is a reference to that old MoKF story where he teams up with that comedian.

This issue is everything I wanted and more. Guess I have to say it. *Gulp* G-Good job, Paniccia...
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She can boost other heroes' powers - but it turned out to be at someone else's expense, she drains lifeforce. Look at the Avengers .1 issues published three years ago. Her codename is Avenger X.
    Thanks bro. Is she also of Asian descent?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I really liked this first issue

spoilers:

Pros:
    Amadeus being proven wrong about the public's reaction to Pan was a nice moment. It's a hopeful message, that people are generally better than we give them credit for.
    Pan is an interesting setting, and it should be fun to watch the team fighting dragons throughout various landmarks and cities.
    Isaac Ikeda has a great design and I can't wait to see more of him.
    Raz Maholtra showing up was nice as well, I'm glad he's getting more exposure.
    It was a pleasant surprise to see 3D-Man with the original AoA team, I thought he may have left off panel. Interesting to see Namora and Ken still with them as well.
    end of spoilers
    Agreed on a lot of points here.

I'm particularly glad to see Mr. Lao again. The Dragon Clan Wars and the Dragon's Corridor were great concepts and I'm glad they're being utilized again.
    Y'know, initially I was a little taken a back with spoilers:
    Mr. Lao. As someone who's a big fan of Chinggis Khan, I felt that his inspiration for taking over the world came from himself, not a dragon. But okay, it's comics. Did a little research, and the concept seems cool, but it might get a little too complicated. Jimmy Woo and others are working with dragons for world supremacy? Feel there needs to be more to sell me on the idea. Furthermore, I hope this dragon takes on more East Asian characteristics. Breathing fire is something Chinese dragons don't do. [/quote]

end of spoilers
    Cons:
    Not a ton of development for the huge cast, but I guess it's inevitable when they keep adding more characters in.
    I'm not looking forward to the inevitable jealousy from Amadeus if something happens between Isaac and Luna.
    Of all the characters to bring back I'm not crazy about Avenger X/Cressida. It was such a boring story.[/spoil]
    Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    This issue was fun. I do believe the joke about Amadeus falling for Cindy did drag a bit.
    As for the relationships, I'm interested. Is there something between Isaac and Luna? Would Luna go for Amadeus? Actually, I still got the sense that Cindy might be a contender for this whole Luna thing! There's some real soapy opera with the Agents folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I forgot 3-D Man was part of this team, but hot Bob/cool weird alien Bob and most importantly VENUS are back! Also, big dragon war sounds dope. The only Parker Atlas story I don't like is the last one, so I'm glad that is no longer the last one and that the new one is cool.

The main story is great, too. Leon art is poppin', and son of Spencer and my boy GIANT-MAN showed up out of nowhere, which makes me very happy! Ammy and Cindy, along with the others, have more of a rapport this time around, which is cool. But also, her makeup game, it's blessed. Pan sounds like a good hustle. And I'm gonna be a massive nerd and believe that Shang-Chi taking a taxi is a reference to that old MoKF story where he teams up with that comedian.

This issue is everything I wanted and more. Guess I have to say it. *Gulp* G-Good job, Paniccia...
    Agreed! Yes, it's a big cast, but we're starting to see certain characters take center stage. Amadeus and Cindy have this good relationship, and I'm glad to see Cindy balances Ammy out. And thanks for pointing out the Shang-Chi/taxi reference!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Thanks bro. Is she also of Asian descent?
    Yes, from Thailand.

I read it cold and I enjoyed it. Glad to see my boi Cho getting some focus/development. I found it funny Isaac called himself the Protector. I liked the backup with the OG Agents of Atlas.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Aero #2 was a really fun read. I love that it evealed who was responsible for the golems attacking the city. Madame Huang seems like an interesting antagonist for Aero along with the rock like character revealed in the end of the issue. I pray Aero's solo series is successful because I really want to see an issue where she teams up with Storm
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account