Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

The Chinese stories are simply set before they joined Atlas. The American backups are set after War of the Realms.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

A couple of thoughts:

- Just reread Aero #1. Didn't really take the time to appreciate the art the first go around, but wow, this is some beautiful work. No, it's not Bleach level stuff, but the art is still great, dynamic and wonderful. Digging how Aero just appreciates her powers and how it gives her this excellent perspective of Shanghai.

- Reread Wave's portion. Again, a little short but the twists were good. The "Mactan Fry King" was a nice touch. Reminded me of the times I went to Jollibee, Chicken Joy, and Chow King back in Manila.

- Some of the latest work for the upcoming Agents of Atlas series in August:

All I can say, is holy crap, this is amazing! Isaac using his Cloud Strife sword against Wave? Luna, Wave, Silk, and Aero keeping it casual? Luna, Wave, and Aero using their powers? Amazing!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Is Wave defending that dragon from Ikeda?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Is Wave defending that dragon from Ikeda?
    It's pretty odd, isn't it? Why is Isaac attacking the dragon? Are Wave and this dragon working together? If so, how come it looks as though Amadeus is caught in that dragonfire? Wait a minute, is that Amadeus or someone else?

I'm thoroughly intrigued and can't wait to find out!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Mighty Member

One thing the back up issues has me worried ablut is the main stories. Aero and Sword Master have full comic book lengrh chapters. And preview descriptions make me worried they might drop pages.

Aero and Sword Master are both longer than most comics. They're not dropping pages, but they are printing some in a different order.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    The thing i really want to know is how they're going to reconcile Sword master. Which is a team book in the original series, but they also want Lin Lie to be a part of AoA
    I've been wondering this, too, for a while now. Just from looking at the pages and the promos and such, Sword Master is meant to be one of a trio of ancient weapon users, all of whom seem to be on the same side. As far as his Western appearances outside his original comic/Manhua have been so far, they seem to be playing up the solo-ness of it in his character, for lack of a better way to put it, as Lin Lie is either with the AoA or with Shang-Chi.

Not sure how accurate the characterization is to his original Manhua, but it seems the Western books also play up his novice-ness and make him more "rookie who needs a guiding hand to steady his impulsiveness/impatience", thus explaining why Shang-Chi takes such an interest in Lin Lie. Just from what little I could gather from viewing the artwork, that feels like it'd be more accurate to Lin Lie's whip-wielding friend then himself. But since I can't read anything, there's no way to tell. What do you think, Woozie?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I've been wondering this, too, for a while now. Just from looking at the pages and the promos and such, Sword Master is meant to be one of a trio of ancient weapon users, all of whom seem to be on the same side. As far as his Western appearances outside his original comic/Manhua have been so far, they seem to be playing up the solo-ness of it in his character, for lack of a better way to put it, as Lin Lie is either with the AoA or with Shang-Chi.

Not sure how accurate the characterization is to his original Manhua, but it seems the Western books also play up his novice-ness and make him more "rookie who needs a guiding hand to steady his impulsiveness/impatience", thus explaining why Shang-Chi takes such an interest in Lin Lie. Just from what little I could gather from viewing the artwork, that feels like it'd be more accurate to Lin Lie's whip-wielding friend then himself. But since I can't read anything, there's no way to tell. What do you think, Woozie?

Nah, Lin Lie is definitely the member of the Warrior trio that that fits with. The real question for Agents of Atlas is "Why grab Lin Lie?"

I mean, publicity wise, it makes sense. But in terms of Heroes that can fight. He should be the bottom of the barrel.

Astonishing Member

Nah, Lin Lie is definitely the member of the Warrior trio that that fits with. The real question for Agents of Atlas is "Why grab Lin Lie?"

I mean, publicity wise, it makes sense. But in terms of Heroes that can fight. He should be the bottom of the barrel.
    For the former, that's good to know! (I'm guessing the other two are a little more well-adjusted/level-headed with their new-found powers? Scare-pranks aside.)

For the latter, sometimes, publicity is the best kind of magic there is. And the only way to actually become experienced, when a character doesn't exist while they're off-screen. (It's why a lot of writers tend to write powered characters and heroes, though not so much villains, who had been limboed for any considerable length of time prior as having been "retired" or "out of practice" or some such when they finally show up again, even if logically that shouldn't be the case for most them.)

Mighty Member

For the former, that's good to know! (I'm guessing the other two are a little more well-adjusted/level-headed with their new-found powers? Scare-pranks aside.)

For the latter, sometimes, publicity is the best kind of magic there is. And the only way to actually become experienced, when a character doesn't exist while they're off-screen. (It's why a lot of writers tend to write powered characters and heroes, though not so much villains, who had been limboed for any considerable length of time prior as having been "retired" or "out of practice" or some such when they finally show up again, even if logically that shouldn't be the case for most them.)

As far as the series is right now it's more like this.

Lin Lie is the most inexperienced, Guy can't fight but has access to his weapon already(This is big cause those weapons are just dripping in magic energy)

Ah Chen is Lin Lie's best friend and is equally as unversed in the mystical world as Lin Lie, on top of not having his mystical weapon. Difference is, he can fight really well due to being a delinquent

Ji Shuangshuang is a skilled martial artist, can use magic, and has a lot of tech. She's essentially the leader and mentor of the group because she's at a level well beyond the other two in terms of skill and power.

Astonishing Member

As far as the series is right now it's more like this.

Lin Lie is the most inexperienced, Guy can't fight but has access to his weapon already(This is big cause those weapons are just dripping in magic energy)

Ah Chen is Lin Lie's best friend and is equally as unversed in the mystical world as Lin Lie, on top of not having his mystical weapon. Difference is, he can fight really well due to being a delinquent

Ji Shuangshuang is a skilled martial artist, can use magic, and has a lot of tech. She's essentially the leader and mentor of the group because she's at a level well beyond the other two in terms of skill and power.
    Awesome; thanks for the rundown on the trio, Woozie! This is what has me so interested in Sword Masters book and also its translated Manhua backups!

So Lin Lie is the rookie viewpoint protagonist and story lead, Ah Chen is his more street-wise best friend, and Ji Shuangshuang is the experienced "call to adventure" person whom the inexperienced heroes-to-be take crash courses from until they're up to snuff.

Mighty Member

Awesome; thanks for the rundown on the trio, Woozie! This is what has me so interested in Sword Masters book and also its translated Manhua backups!

So Lin Lie is the rookie viewpoint protagonist and story lead, Ah Chen is his more street-wise best friend, and Ji Shuangshuang is the experienced "call to adventure" person whom the inexperienced heroes-to-be take crash courses from until they're up to snuff.
    Yeah, that's the basic dynamic to it.

Mighty Member

I think the biggest issue I have with the single issue releases, is that... well they weren't released like that in china. Aero Volume 1 was released all at once, then Aero Volume 2.

So you'd rather they'd released the series as OGNs?

Mighty Member

Yeah, I'd say it's better built for that. Stretching the first four issues over 4 months is just a waste given how snappy the book is.