Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Not yet, but there are new Asian heroes joining the game, all summoned by Io. Probably like Luna Snow, they will later be introduced into 616.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Well that was certainly... something

I like it. The characters look interesting, and the concept deepens the mythology around Crescent and Io. This announcement also comes just before their one shot, so the Warriors of the Sky might be introduced to 616 sooner than we think.

Also, it’s always nice to have new characters from lesser utilised regions like Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam and Taiwan.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

The descriptions for the Warriors are also printed here in Marvel's official announcement.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That would be flipped to given name first when translated into English though.
    They don't do that for any of the chinese characters though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    The descriptions for the Warriors are also printed here in Marvel's official announcement.
    They sound cool.

Recent events have made the Shang-Chi exchange rates gag 10x more funny to me. I like this book. This book is fun. I like this Raz thing.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Except that Seol Hee is a legitimate Korean personal name, but not a family name. Sure, this is comics where we give characters two first names (Peter Parker, Tina Minoru, Donald Blake, Sam Wilson) and yes comics have given the double middle finger to language itself (Iosama for a computer nerd, WTF), but still I trust Pak won't screw up Korean naming that much since he is Korean mixed.
    Yeah, like you say, Seol-hee is a personal name and seems to be consistently used as such. If there was any doubt about that, I think this origin issue for her dispelled it. Most Korean names also tend to fit the pattern of "one syllable family name, two syllable personal name". Not that there aren't exceptions to that.

Maybe she dropped her family name when she became an idol

Like Rihanna or Madonna

Hopefully the Warriors of the Sky make it into the comics soon the group sounds interesting.

Future Fight Firsts: Crescent and Io #1 preview https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...scent-and-io-1

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Maybe she dropped her family name when she became an idol

Like Rihanna or Madonna
    We know from the one-shot she uses Seol-hee as her stage name. That's very standard K-Pop practice just use the personal name. It's usually that or situations like Minjee going to Minni. But, she'd still have a family name officially speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I read issue 3 today and its a fun issue. Nice swerve with Isaac by Pak.
    Ha, I liked the swerve as well. It was one of those "hiding in plain sight" swerves too. The pinkie touching, that's great! I've heard a lot of South Asian and Indian men show their relationship with one another through this gesture. I like Russell Peters made a join about it in one of his stand up routines.

As for the rest of the issue, I'll admit, I have criticisms. The pace was a little frenetic. I think I was confused with the pacing of it. Brawn and Luna seemed to be on the same beach as the other agents on one panel. Brawn quickly jumps and take Luna to Agents headquarters on another. Suddenly, the other agents are there wondering what took so long. What? Weren't they just together?And the appearance of Isaac with the agents? That quickly? He's still so coy and reluctant to reveal his background yet the agents are willing to accept him?

That scene with all of the agents in the meeting room...I saw Pak give a preview of the page back during his talk at the Korea Society in NYC. At first, I was digging it. All of agents drinking bobba and in their slippers made me chuckle. Afterwards though, part of me felt it slipped slightly into stereotypes. Would Asians be doing this during the midst of a crisis? Don't know.

Finally, the large cast is becoming a weakness. Juggling all of these characters is becoming difficult. Characterization is hard.

Still, there was a lot to like about the issue. This Mike Ngyuen guy is just really slick whether dealing with politics (I'm glad Pak addressed this. We were complaining about how Pan presented all of these real world political problems that weren't explored in the first issue.) or in business. That meeting with the agents was fun, mainly because Nico Leon really hit those expressions amongst all of the characters. Seeing Crescent be pouty was so cute! Shang-Chi investing with money was great as well. I always said that he is a lot more grounded and down to earth than people realize. Guy maybe a centered Kung Fu master, but hey, that doesn't mean he can't make some cash. (Plus it was cool to see how the agents used their money. Wave taking care of her lolo made me smile, in a good way). Finally, Jimmy being the mastermind/Nick Fury behind the scenes, that's great too.

Whew, just a lot happened here in this issue!

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Luna's origin is a bit generic, but I kind of expected it since that was her description in Future Fight. While I would normally take issue with lyrics on the page, I recalled Marvel releasing Luna's song, one of them at least, so I can let this pass. Seriously, Myeong Hyeongseo and Buster are really talented.
    Really liked Luna's story. Was it generic? Perhaps, but it was still moving. For me, I kinda rolled my eyes when I heard Luna was a K-Pop star. Okay, Marvel is taking what's the best known part of Korean culture and using it as an accessory. Still, seeing Luna go through the harsh life of K-Pop school, where it's intense, pressure filled, expectation high, I felt that. I also was moved by Seol-Hee's motivation for becoming a K-Pop star. Yes, she's becoming famous and wealthy, but it's for her grandmother, who's genuinely happy to see Luna achieve this success. Kinda Peter Parker/Aunt May in a way for me.

So yeah, a K-Pop super hero surprised me! Great job!

Not yet, but there are new Asian heroes joining the game, all summoned by Io. Probably like Luna Snow, they will later be introduced into 616.

OHHHHH, I'm digging this! Great to see all of these other Asian countries and polities represented. Damn, they all look sweet!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    We know from the one-shot she uses Seol-hee as her stage name. That's very standard K-Pop practice just use the personal name. It's usually that or situations like Minjee going to Minni. But, she'd still have a family name officially speaking.
    Her stage name is Luna (Snow was added after she got her powers). So not using a surname is nothing to do with her career.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Marvel is really going all out with their asian initiative, aren't they? I mean, it's cool. At least they're trying to do something different. If those characters make it to the comics, I just hope they stay as their own team. I think the AOA is a little packed as it is, and if they're trying to make a point about diversity, it makes sense that more than one asian group would exist instead of all asian people being put on the same team like they should all know each other. A different team that maybe has a different mission and a different vision on how to save the world could make for some interesting conflicts.

In other news, here's Luna Snow's new song, which samples her previous song Tonight, but it really sounds like a whole new song overall:

Has Marvel ever put this much production effort into creating original music for their characters before? I wonder if they would consider producing a whole album or EP for her.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 10-26-2019 at 01:12 AM.

They could realistically make Atlas a bigger organization too (Well, it's already pretty big in and of itself) because as it is most of these new Asian characters could benefit more from being in Atlas (As we have seen that Aero and Sword Master's numbers have been less than stellar, at least in the US)

Even then. I confess that I absolutely love AOA and all the characters that it has brought. I really do. There are few things that yell 'big world' than having characters in other corners of the world doing stuff. And having this whole Marvel superhero community in Asia is wonderful for worldbuilding purposes. The heroes are also pretty cool for the most part. Specially Aero (Who I hope will somehow make it past the 12 issues)