Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    ... A good instance of that for me was the NIghtcrawler episode of X-Men animated series. That was the first time I learned that Kurt was Christian and that episode definitely wore it on its sleeve:

For me, that was pretty shocking. As a kid, I knew about separation of church and state. And here was Kurt talking about God on one of, if not THE, most popular Saturday morning cartoon shows. I wondered how the non-Christian kids would react to that. Apparently it didn't offend that many people, so that's a good thing.

So in summary, yeah I think Catholic characters like Nightcrawler and Daredevil can be overt with their religion, but not to the point of offense or obnoxiousness. At times though, it has slightly gone to that edge.
    It is interesting, and that was just one episode introducing a character, the show was never about, or ever became just about that.
    Ultimately the characters preach for tolerance, acceptance, no mater the faith.
    So was that the "correct" vehicle for the message? Was that even an issue?
    Clearly depends who you ask.
    I do wonder if today they could even do one episode like that, without some huge backlash that they were preaching or forcing one faith over others?
    Could they do a similar episode today? Or an episode where a character from another faith has words that invoke the same?
    Or would that have been denounced as promoting one over an other? Or to the contrary been celebrated as an even broader showing of tolerance?

Does X-Men by nature, what they've come to represent, transcend them all? (should they?)
    How did people feel about this powerful scene...?

Or...
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-19-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    That being said, while I don't feel Nightcrawler and Daredevil's Catholicism hasn't been depicted as being too overt, I could see how it could be perceived as such. A good instance of that for me was the NIghtcrawler episode of X-Men animated series. That was the first time I learned that Kurt was Christian and that episode definitely wore it on its sleeve:
    I remembered that episode, and in a follow-up episode, Nightcrawler finally confronts Mystique who tells him the truth of his birth and abandonment.

This clip cuts before Mystique, replying "I don't deserve your—" gets interrupted by Creed in a chopper firing on both of them; she shoves Kurt aside, is grazed by a bullet, and then finishes with "prayers" before falling into the river below the dam. And then we see the rest of the flashback; she was crying as she set Kurt adrift, because she loved him after all.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Victor Mancha from Marvel's Runaways. Despite being the machine/human hybrid son of Ultron, and knowing that it's literally programmed into him his Catholic faith has never wavered. Nico Minoru from the same series was a devout Catholic to the extent of having been an Altar server, but events in the series have left her too skeptical to hold onto the label. Chase Stein doesn't appear to come from a religious household whatsoever despite the surname, but he's also been shown to recite Christian prayers at times.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 03-18-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

What is SPAWN?
    Seems the soul looking for redemption - posing with / (chained) latched-to the crucifix trope? - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/jZbUhC8--Ug...Kkm_O3eY=s1600
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-11-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Last edited by Güicho; 01-11-2020 at 01:29 PM.

On Hellboy ...

I put him in the same class as John Constantine when it's comes to faith.

Only as a weapon.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

timothy zahn sneaked christianity into his heir to the empire novels.
    Jorus C'baoth=JC, obvious

but wait, there is more to it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Migh...ess_Is_Our_God

"Did we in our own strength confide,
    Our striving would be losing;
    Were not the right Man on our side,
    The Man of God's own choosing.
    Dost ask who that may be?
    Christ Jesus, it is he;
    Lord Sabaoth is his name,
    From age to age the same,
    And He must win the battle."

gotta reread the triology to figure out if zahn worked a deeper meaning into it, or if he just liked the name.
    does it count? there is a comic book adaptation if the story after all

Last edited by abulafia; 03-19-2019 at 03:55 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    On Hellboy ...

I put him in the same class as John Constantine when it's comes to faith.

Only as a weapon.
    Oh, so they're Republicans?

LOL ^ to be fair I have seen Christians describe their faith as a weapon.
    So to say they use it as a weapon but don't believe in it might be an anachronism.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

LOL looked up his origin^, love the quick recap. Apparently summoned to Earth by the Third Reich, yet rebels against them, adopted into BPRD

Another recap - https://i.imgur.com/yPCajZl.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Hellboy battles demons, vampires, and all kinds of mystical beings that are vulnerable to the cross. It's not really an expression of faith, it's a weapon in his arsenal.
    Oh ok, since he seems to carry it, I am curious as per the comic, what (if anything?) does he believe is the source of the crosses' power, to do what you describe?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    On Hellboy .... when it's comes to faith.

Only as a weapon.
    I'll put the same question to you (since the other guy ignored it), what does he believe is the source of the "weapon"''s power?
    Keeping in mind he breaks off his horns to not be (or fulfill the role) of the "beast" of the prophecy. What's he channeling, that helps him subvert or not become that?
    Free will? Something more?
    What about using the crucifix power specifically? What does he believe is the source behind that power?
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-15-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Oh, so they're Republicans?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I remembered that episode, and in a follow-up episode, Nightcrawler finally confronts Mystique who tells him the truth of his birth and abandonment.

This clip cuts before Mystique, replying "I don't deserve your—" gets interrupted by Creed in a chopper firing on both of them; she shoves Kurt aside, is grazed by a bullet, and then finishes with "prayers" before falling into the river below the dam. And then we see the rest of the flashback; she was crying as she set Kurt adrift, because she loved him after all.
    Yeah, that was a good follow up episode. First off, it was funny to see how Rogue and Nightcrawler were related. Secondly, Nightcrawler's deep faith and compassion contrasted with Creed's overwhelming hate and bigotry. Seeing Nightcrawler and Mystique's relationship fully mentioned (it was pretty blatant in the first Nightcrawler episode) was nice. And you're right, seeing the normally cold, distant, and selfish Mystique really cry after having to throw away her child, that hit a lot of notes. Kurt really shined in that episode (though again it did edge on to the overt with the display of faith). He's lines to Creed, "May God help you brother," shows both his hopelessness and his hope. Just a really good episode.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 03-22-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Anyone familiar with this character? Teamed with Daredevil?

"...a series of women descended from Jesus Christ via his marriage to Mary Magdalene."

I'm curious how this premise is perceived among christians?
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-21-2021 at 06:54 AM.

This one...?

Last edited by Güicho; 01-11-2020 at 01:32 PM.

El Diablo....

[IMG]http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/814/asw3-5.jpg[/IMG

"...split my soul asunder... a task to be done before I can ... give myself up to the eternal rest..."

The original El Diablo and the new ...

Chato Santana in the Belle Reve chapel...

Last edited by Güicho; 08-21-2021 at 06:59 AM.

https://comicbookrealm.com/cover-sca...ws-issue-3.jpg

Another not mentioned is R.E. Howard's less familiar character, created before Conan; Solomon Kane.

Looking back, allot of these popular 'christian' character types and tropes, many seem to have dual or double natured aspects; christian on one side, yet also very dark (visually), tormented, vengeance themes outwardly?

Zorro
    Solomon Kane
    Dare Devil
    El Diablo
    Punisher
    Spawn
    Azrael
    Hell Boy
    The Magdalena?

This seems to recur allot with almost all of these, does this come from the Solomon Kane trope?
    One side tied to their faith, yet the other embody a dark visual or theme, as if they know or fear they are themselves already condemned to hell, hence willing to sacrifice their own soul, to make it their mission to vanquish evil?
    Or they see themselves as, or used as a dark avenging vessels, to that ends.

Does it seem to be a recurring theme, Is this how you imagine the notion of "doing it right"(not my words)?
    Or is there a conflict of portrayal and of purpose in these characters?
    Is it meant ironically, sarcastically?
    Are they positive? Negative?
    What do people think?
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-13-2021 at 10:57 PM.