Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    ... A good instance of that for me was the NIghtcrawler episode of X-Men animated series. That was the first time I learned that Kurt was Christian and that episode definitely wore it on its sleeve:

For me, that was pretty shocking. As a kid, I knew about separation of church and state. And here was Kurt talking about God on one of, if not THE, most popular Saturday morning cartoon shows. I wondered how the non-Christian kids would react to that. Apparently it didn't offend that many people, so that's a good thing.

So in summary, yeah I think Catholic characters like Nightcrawler and Daredevil can be overt with their religion, but not to the point of offense or obnoxiousness. At times though, it has slightly gone to that edge.
    It is interesting, and that was just one episode introducing a character, the show was never about, or ever became just about that.
    Ultimately the characters preach for tolerance, acceptance, no mater the faith.
    So was that the "correct" vehicle for the message? Was that even an issue?
    Clearly depends who you ask.
    I do wonder if today they could even do one episode like that, without some huge backlash that they were preaching or forcing one faith over others?
    Could they do a similar episode today? Or an episode where a character from another faith has words that invoke the same?
    Or would that have been denounced as promoting one over an other? Or to the contrary been celebrated as an even broader showing of tolerance?

Does X-Men by nature, what they've come to represent, transcend them all? (should they?)
    How did people feel about this powerful scene...?

Or...
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-19-2019 at 01:00 PM.