Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Overtly Christian mainstream characters ?

I'm curious, with the 227,000 signatures for the cancellation of the “Second Coming” - https://www.newsarama.com/43906-dc-s...-canceled.html

I'm not looking to discus the cancellation of that comic, there is an ongoing thread for that - . https://community.cbr.com/showthread...C-Comic/page14

Although the premise is what makes me curious: My understanding of it is that the "superhero" Sun-Man is supposedly doing it right, while JC followers are supposedly doing it wrong, so JC had to come back to learn what he did wrong, from Sun-Man the proper "superhero".
    Lol, I can see why that would be offensive to some.

What I'm wondering is what main stream, comic superheroes (if any), are doing it right, who express POSITIVELY some form of Christianity overtly?

Please post pictures, panels, quotes etc of examples.

To be specific, by mainstream I don't mean characters like Bibleman form company that is firstly religious.
    I mean popular mainstream characters from non religions mainstream comics, (who were for the most part designed to be heroes first), who just happen to also be or overtly express Christianity.
    In a positive way.

I hope that difference is clear.

I'm also curious are these (if any) characters popular with Christians, or not?
    What do they get right/wrong?
    Are they positive portrayals? Is there a conflict?
    Do you ever feel there is an appropriation of imagery or theme but with out content?
    How significant is it to the character, you liking it or not?
    I've noticed many christian themed heroes seem to focus on rejecting or questioning their faith as a part of empowerment. Thoughts?
    Or only use it ironically, or sometimes subverted, embrace or embody outright antithesis or devil/demonic imagery and themes?
    Or does it not make a difference?
    Specifically talking about the character here, not the religion itself. Or specify what it is exactly.
    Or even if you just want to post/celebrate any panels or imagery which displays it. (positive/negative?) describe?
    The same question to non Christians?

Also not trying to exclude other religions or characters here, the same could be asked about any, and probably should, i'd be curious to see it.
    This thread is about christian characters specifically though.

(FYI full disclosure I am not christian)

Hope this thread is ok, and can be kept civil.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-11-2020 at 01:13 PM.

I guess I can start it off with a few ... Daredevil
    Curious as to the questions above, how the character is handled, seen etc...?

Last edited by Güicho; 02-15-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Nightcrawler...?

Couple of Dark Knights I guess if Daredevil counts...Zorro counts too.

In the old classic McCulley pulps, and first silent Fairbanks film, he was an ally of the Padres in protecting the poor, and if his hand was ever forced to kill, he would pray for forgiveness.

https://www.dvdizzy.com/images/w-z/zorro1-16.jpg
    In the Powers film, and Disney series he was shown praying.
    Disney LOL while chased, he stops to pray-

As well as the 1975 spaghetti -western film, where the murder of the padre absolves him of his vow never to kill.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-09-2022 at 07:34 PM.

As well as the more modern franchise, he seems to maintain a connection...

While exiled from his home, he stays in the Mission.

And from the telenovela (based on the Allende novel) .

------
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-09-2022 at 02:36 PM.

Father Richard Craemer from Ostrander's Spectre serirs.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Father Richard Craemer from Ostrander's Spectre serirs.
    Oh, man, such a great character.

Ultimate Member

The first thing I thought of was classic Nightcrawler. He was often shown praying. His faith was shown as a positive thing. He tried to live it out by being compassionate. And at one point he was studying to be a priest.

In contrast, although it made for interesting storytelling, Matt Murdock, was kind of a bad Catholic? He often gave into temptation, was angry, guilty, only showed up at church when something bad happened and didn't ask for absolution. He was basically there to sulk.

I'm trying to remember those old Cloak and Dagger comics from the 80's. The couple would rest up from their missions at this old church and while the priest there wasn't portrayed negatively, I seem to remember him as kind of naive.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Eddie Brock was raised a devout Catholic and was even begging forgiveness in a church for being about to commit suicide when the alien symbiote first found him:

Of course he's broken the sixth commandment or attempted to left and right over the years, but he never truly gave up on the faith. He even at one point got rid of the symbiote after watching the Passion of the Christ. When he was giving up his Anti-Venom suit to create the antidote for the Spider-Island infestation, he framed it very much in a messianic fashion:

Later, he prayed over a priest that the symbiote had attacked with a Rosary:

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Nightcrawler was already mentioned and depending on who is writing him it can be really cringey. But generally I see him as more positive.

Writers tend to write him as a more American version of a being religious where in Europe they are not as in your face about it and its more a personal thing. That's why I couldn't get behind Aarons story of Kurt chasing Logan around telling him he's going to hell. Not only did it alter continuity on how and when it was revealed (Logan came in on Kurt while he was praying and that's how he found out). To me it altered their friendship as well. I like everything else Aaron does with Kurt. But his take on Kurt's faith is something I rather leave. Writers are very stubborn about this and I'm sure they've heard the complaints by now. They seem to be more serious on accuracy everywhere else but don't care with various faiths. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The first thing I thought of was classic Nightcrawler. He was often shown praying. His faith was shown as a positive thing. He tried to live it out by being compassionate. And at one point he was studying to be a priest.

In contrast, although it made for interesting storytelling, Matt Murdock, was kind of a bad Catholic? He often gave into temptation, was angry, guilty, only showed up at church when something bad happened and didn't ask for absolution. He was basically there to sulk.
    As a Catholic, I was always appreciative of NIghtcrawler's and Daredevil's Catholicism. For the most part, both characters never seemed too "extreme" with their faith. Yes, Nightcrawler was at times a priest or Matt had confession, but they weren't depicted as being the extremists like the Church of Humanity members. They didn't condemn character's identity or insult a person because of their beliefs. That made me glad because Catholics (especially now) have had a ton of negative baggage associated with them. Additionally, their faith wasn't the main center of their character, merely a part of it. That part helped to enhance the whole. (We could say that about every character, right? Yes, Batwoman is a lesbian and that is certainly an important component of her character, but definitely not the only part. But I digress).

That being said, while I don't feel Nightcrawler and Daredevil's Catholicism hasn't been depicted as being too overt, I could see how it could be perceived as such. A good instance of that for me was the NIghtcrawler episode of X-Men animated series. That was the first time I learned that Kurt was Christian and that episode definitely wore it on its sleeve:

For me, that was pretty shocking. As a kid, I knew about separation of church and state. And here was Kurt talking about God on one of, if not THE, most popular Saturday morning cartoon shows. I wondered how the non-Christian kids would react to that. Apparently it didn't offend that many people, so that's a good thing.

So in summary, yeah I think Catholic characters like Nightcrawler and Daredevil can be overt with their religion, but not to the point of offense or obnoxiousness. At times though, it has slightly gone to that edge.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Huntress is wearing a cross for a necklace?
    Is that a question?
    Or not sure I get your question, when the images you quoted above even show it.
    Helena Bertinelli certainly did.
    Several more ...

Other versions to some varying degree somewhat even worked the cross into the costume itself.

As she did in Arrow, both as civilian and even in costume ..

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Huntress is wearing a cross for a necklace?
    So ....Yes.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-15-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Norman Mccay & The Spectre(by way of him, at least in Kingdom Come?) ? Although as far as I know the Spectre has never been identified with any specific religious affiliation.? If anything he seems more inspired by Jewish scripture, more compatible with the Old Testament with aspects of a once wrathful entity? So how does someone like Mccay process him?
    I honestly don't know?

Last edited by Güicho; 02-20-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Not sure what's up with Hellboy?

Movie Captain America Steve Rogers?

"There's only one god...." Assuming he's referencing the christian one?

Seems more than reasonable for the character, I assume it's the same in the comics, although not sure if it is overtly stated anywhere?
    Any examples?
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-11-2020 at 01:59 PM.