Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Eddie Brock was raised a devout Catholic ....
    Eddie Brock

https://i.imgflip.com/5xswid.gif
    https://i.imgflip.com/5xswo2.gif
    https://static.comicvine.com/uploads..._in_church.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Eddie Brock was raised a devout Catholic and was even begging forgiveness in a church for being about to commit suicide when the alien symbiote first found him:

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/..._in_church.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    ...also curious are these (if any) characters popular with Christians, or not?
    What do they get right/wrong?
    Are they positive portrayals? Is there a conflict?
    Do you ever feel there is an appropriation of imagery or theme but with out content?
    How significant is it to the character, you liking it or not?
    I've noticed many christian themed heroes seem to focus on rejecting or questioning their faith as a part of empowerment. Thoughts?
    ?
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-19-2022 at 08:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I had some pages of David Quin from SiP I wanted to post but they disappeared with a bunch of other scans and left me with a blank laptop background. And this is not the first time it happened. Major suck.

Hellboy is not Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    As a Catholic, I was always appreciative of NIghtcrawler's and Daredevil's Catholicism. For the most part, both characters never seemed too "extreme" with their faith. Yes, Nightcrawler was at times a priest or Matt had confession, but they weren't depicted as being the extremists like the Church of Humanity members. They didn't condemn character's identity or insult a person because of their beliefs. That made me glad because Catholics (especially now) have had a ton of negative baggage associated with them. Additionally, their faith wasn't the main center of their character, merely a part of it. That part helped to enhance the whole. (We could say that about every character, right? Yes, Batwoman is a lesbian and that is certainly an important component of her character, but definitely not the only part. But I digress).

That being said, while I don't feel Nightcrawler and Daredevil's Catholicism hasn't been depicted as being too overt, I could see how it could be perceived as such. A good instance of that for me was the NIghtcrawler episode of X-Men animated series. That was the first time I learned that Kurt was Christian and that episode definitely wore it on its sleeve:

For me, that was pretty shocking. As a kid, I knew about separation of church and state. And here was Kurt talking about God on one of, if not THE, most popular Saturday morning cartoon shows. I wondered how the non-Christian kids would react to that. Apparently it didn't offend that many people, so that's a good thing.

So in summary, yeah I think Catholic characters like Nightcrawler and Daredevil can be overt with their religion, but not to the point of offense or obnoxiousness. At times though, it has slightly gone to that edge.
    I watched X-Men 90’s cartoon growing up and I don’t remember this episode, but that scene is interesting. As a Christian and a huge comic book and pop culture nerd, I did always appreciate comic book writers and characters having faith in a positive light. But i don’t think a scene like that could exist now in a 2019 X-Men cartoon without there being controversy from people.

Anyway, the only characters I knew that were religious or Christian in comics was Daredevil and Nightcrawler. I had heard Peter/ Spider Man came from a religious background but I am not sure if that was ever true. As for the comic that was canceled. I was willing to give it a shot. I am a Christian but I try to be more open minded these days. As long as it wasn’t disrespectful to God or Jesus or a complete mockery of the faith, I was good.

Movie Captain America Steve Rogers?

"There's only one god...." Assuming he's referencing the christian one?

Seems more than reasonable for the character, I assume it's the same in the comics, although not sure if it is overtly stated anywhere?
    Any examples?
    I also assumed Cap was religious though from the comics I read, it isn’t really known for sure. This scene in Avengers did get an applause from a few people in the crowd opening night, though it was a bit awkward since some gold just looked back st them with blank stares.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Anyway, the only characters I knew that were religious or Christian in comics was Daredevil and Nightcrawler. I had heard Peter/ Spider Man came from a religious background but I am not sure if that was ever true.
    Nah .

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

?

Hellboy is not Christian.
    He carries a cross ( rosary?), that doesn't mean or suggest it? Is that just meant ironically?

Do you mean the character doesn't believe?

Or you mean the character can't represent a christian character ? Well cause of what he is LOL!

I'm honestly asking.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-11-2019 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I also assumed Cap was religious though from the comics I read, it isn’t really known for sure. This scene in Avengers did get an applause from a few people in the crowd opening night, though it was a bit awkward since some gold just looked back st them with blank stares.
    That line just made me wince so hard.

He carries a cross ( rosary?), that doesn't mean or suggest it? Is that just meant ironically?

Do you mean the character doesn't believe?

Or you mean the character can't represent a christian character ? Well cause of what he is LOL!

I'm honestly asking.
    Hellboy battles demons, vampires, and all kinds of mystical beings that are vulnerable to the cross. It's not really an expression of faith, it's a weapon in his arsenal.

LOL looked up his origin^, love the quick recap. Apparently summoned to Earth by the Third Reich, yet rebels against them, adopted into BPRD

Another recap - https://i.imgur.com/yPCajZl.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Hellboy battles demons, vampires, and all kinds of mystical beings that are vulnerable to the cross. It's not really an expression of faith, it's a weapon in his arsenal.
    Oh ok, since he seems to carry it, I am curious as per the comic, what (if anything?) does he believe is the source of the crosses' power, to do what you describe?
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-12-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Mighty Member

I'd say the Spectre since his job description is quite literally being the wrath of God and Radiance, who only showed up in Final Crisis, being the mercy of God. Popular culture only knows the Spectre as the creepy Mark Hamil guy from Batman The Brave and the Bold.

Punisher (lapsed? Strugling? )

https://i.imgflip.com/60memi.jpg

?

In a (What If? Venom possessed The Punisher) scene, (meant to parallel the Venom above), Frank Castle is instead similarly taken.
    Although it's a non canon "what if", I believe the idea and scene was chosen because Castle is in fact christian (lapsed?) and would have likely been found in a similar position?
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-19-2022 at 08:45 AM.

Heaven is not really represented in the Hellboy universe. Hellboy himself has never expressed a specific faith.

He is the beast of the apocalypse...

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post

I'd say the Spectre since his job description is quite literally being the wrath of God and Radiance,
    Another vengeance seeker.

So is that not the Hebrew god?
    Just asking, I honestly don't really know the difference?

----------------------
    Heaven is not really represented in the Hellboy universe. ...

He is the beast of the apocalypse...

Seems they do indicate heaven ^, it actually forms part of the premise/description of him as "beast of the apocalypse" that comes from a passage in the bible, they even cite it above - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...14&version=KJV

Hellboy himself has never expressed a specific faith.
    Although he acknowledges it in his origin, even as antithetical to it. So does he reject it exists? Is it either one way or the other, as far as what is implied he believes or not?
    It does seem there is room for interpretation, like if anything he dos recognize them, yet is trying to subvert these things that are "prophesied" in christian source, including his own role in them. (symbolically shattering his own horns/crown) And to what ends (for himself, for humanity)?
    So does he believe them, what does that makes him?
    I am curious how others interpret it all.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-19-2022 at 07:08 AM.