Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

A quick skim and I don't think anyone mentioned Zauriel. I forgot about him myself, to be honest.Zauriel.jpg

copelandarell

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    As a Catholic, I was always appreciative of NIghtcrawler's and Daredevil's Catholicism. For the most part, both characters never seemed too "extreme" with their faith. Yes, Nightcrawler was at times a priest or Matt had confession, but they weren't depicted as being the extremists like the Church of Humanity members. They didn't condemn character's identity or insult a person because of their beliefs. That made me glad because Catholics (especially now) have had a ton of negative baggage associated with them. Additionally, their faith wasn't the main center of their character, merely a part of it. That part helped to enhance the whole. (We could say that about every character, right? Yes, Batwoman is a lesbian and that is certainly an important component of her character, but definitely not the only part. But I digress).

That being said, while I don't feel Nightcrawler and Daredevil's Catholicism hasn't been depicted as being too overt, I could see how it could be perceived as such. A good instance of that for me was the NIghtcrawler episode of X-Men animated series. That was the first time I learned that Kurt was Christian and that episode definitely wore it on its sleeve:

For me, that was pretty shocking. As a kid, I knew about separation of church and state. And here was Kurt talking about God on one of, if not THE, most popular Saturday morning cartoon shows. I wondered how the non-Christian kids would react to that. Apparently it didn't offend that many people, so that's a good thing.

So in summary, yeah I think Catholic characters like Nightcrawler and Daredevil can be overt with their religion, but not to the point of offense or obnoxiousness. At times though, it has slightly gone to that edge.
    The couple would rest up from their missions at this old church and while the priest there wasn't portrayed negatively, I seem to remember him as kind of naive.

Rahne Sinclair
    Her faith seems to have become an overt part of the character...

https://i.imgur.com/oDPzRl5.jpg
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-11-2020 at 02:55 PM.

...as well as in the film

Last edited by Güicho; 01-11-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Xombi gave us Nun of the Above:

and her sidekick, Catholic Girl.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post

and her sidekick, Catholic Girl.]
    Two of the many reasons I loved Xombi.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post

and her sidekick, Catholic Girl.
    Two of the many reasons I loved Xombi.
    LMFAO!
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-13-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Xombi was amazing.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Reverend Stryker

Avengelyne

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

What I'm wondering is what main stream, comic superheroes (if any), are doing it right, who express POSITIVELY some form of Christianity overtly?

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    (who were for the most part designed to be heroes first), who just happen to also be or overtly express Christianity.
    In a positive way.
    In case nobody is reading the original post.
    The whole point ^ and topic of thread, you know is clearly emphasized, I'm asking for people to post characters they find might "....overtly express Christianity. In a positive way."

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Reverend Stryker

?]
    So just curious (I'm not saying he doesn't for you), I do have to ask, how you think he does?
    And this isn't just to you, the whole point is I'm asking people to describe how their choices (if that's the case) are positive representations for them. ?
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-11-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Astonishing Member

This recently concluded mini-series was a hoot!

It's npot clear from the press and pictures, but this series did portray Jesus in a positive manner. You don't get more Christian than Jesus.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    It's npot clear from the press and pictures, but this series did portray Jesus in a positive manner. You don't get more Christian than Jesus.
    The series did indeed portray Jesus in a positive manner, but his father - maybe not so much.

I forget exactly which story; but when Dr. Mid-Nite II (Pieter Cross) time-traveled back to meet Dr. Mid-Nite I (Charles McNider) there was a crucifix on McNider's mantelpiece.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan