Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Detective Comics 1000 creative teams, stories, and synopses

The full lineup of stories, writers and artists to be featured in DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 is:

“Medieval,” by Peter J. Tomasi and Doug Mahnke

Appearing in DC’s comic book continuity for the very first time, a new and mysterious version of the Arkham Knight will be debuting in a story that looks at Batman’s encounters with his villains throughout his career through the Arkham Knight’s eyes—but the Knight’s scheme remains to be seen.

“Batman’s Longest Case,” by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo

One of the most popular talent teams in the history of the Dark Knight delivers a tale in which Batman follows clues around the world, leading him back to his home in Gotham City and to a secret organization that has been keeping tabs on him for years.

“Manufacture for Use,” by Kevin Smith and Jim Lee

The fan-favorite director of Clerks and one of Batman’s most visionary artists present a story that cuts between Batman fighting his greatest villains and his attempts to track down the gun that killed his parents.

“The Legend of Knute Brody” by Paul Dini, Dustin Nguyen, Derek Fridolfs and John Kalisz

The villains of Gotham speak, documentary-style, about that one henchman they each hired who was the absolute WORST at his job, constantly screwing up their plans.

“The Batman’s Design” by Warren Ellis and Becky Cloonan

Warren Ellis pens “The Batman’s Design” with Becky Cloonan, the first woman to draw Batman in the main comic series, in a story of Batman pursuing a pack of technologically enhanced mercenaries into a warehouse, where they think they’ve trapped him.

“Return to Crime Alley” by Denny O’Neil and Steve Epting

A direct sequel to O’Neil’s classic “There Is No Hope in Crime Alley,” from DETECTIVE COMICS #457, in which Leslie Thompkins takes Batman to task for his addiction to violence, which, in her mind, perpetuates the horror that birthed him.

“Heretic” by Christopher Priest and Neal Adams

Two of the biggest powerhouse writers and artists in the comic book industry work together on a story featuring Batman helping a young man escape from Ra’s al Ghul’s League of Assassins— who then turned up in Gotham, dead. Batman travels to Tibet with a message for the League.

“I Know” by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

The creative team behind Scarlet takes a unique future look at Batman and the Penguin. The Penguin comes to an elderly, wheelchair-bound Batman to tell him of the time that he learned Batman was Bruce Wayne—and to explain why he never did anything with that information.

“The Last Crime in Gotham” by Geoff Johns and Kelley Jones

Superstar writer Geoff Johns and famed artist Kelley Jones tell a future story where the future family of Batman and Catwoman face off in a battle with the family of The Joker and Harley Quinn.

“The Precedent” by James Tynion IV and Alvaro Martinez

The team of James Tynion IV and Alvaro Martinez return to Detective Comics after their highly successful Rebirth run, in a story of the night Bruce Wayne made the decision to bring Dick Grayson into his dark world, ending with the classic candlelight oath.

“Batman’s Greatest Case” by Tom King, Tony Daniel and Joëlle Jones

"Groundbreaking" Batman writer Tom King is joined by Tony Daniel and Joëlle Jones, who share artistic duties on the story. Presented using parallel story threads, Bruce Wayne visits his parents’ grave while Batman assembles his entire coalition of allies around him.

In addition to the above stories, DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 will feature additional art from Mikel Janín and Amanda Conner, as well as a two-page spread from Jason Fabok depicting the current state of the Batman universe and its heroes and villains.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/0...ve-comics-1000

Someone tell Kevin Smith that Tim Drake has the gun. Case closed.

Lol The intro's for the various creative teams is too hilarious. Who knew writers required such diva handling. LOL. They are Superstars and don't you forget it. I'm impressed that Bendis the biggest names on the list don't get any grand intros. Makes me like the man a little more. Just read his free story and it's decent.
    Last edited by dietrich; 02-15-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySpectre View Post
    . . . “Batman’s Longest Case,” by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo

One of the most popular talent teams in the history of the Dark Knight delivers a tale in which Batman follows clues around the world, leading him back to his home in Gotham City and to a secret organization that has been keeping tabs on him for years.
    Say what? Yet ANOTHER "secret organization" that has been keeping tabs on Batman?!?

Geez, how many of those have been operating right under Brucie-boy's nose in HIS Gotham City without Brucie having a single clue?!?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Say what? Yet ANOTHER "secret organization" that has been keeping tabs on Batman?!?

Geez, how many of those have been operating right under Brucie-boy's nose in HIS Gotham City without Brucie having a single clue?!?
    Yes, I thought same thing-same old. I'm thinking that group is the fan base.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 02-15-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

Tomasi and Dini are the most promising to me.

I know I've said this before but it's a real shame there's no Grant Morrison here.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Bruce must be getting lazy in his old age to miss all these top secret organizations stalking him

Incredible Member

The full lineup of stories, writers and artists to be featured in DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 is:

Appearing in DC’s comic book continuity for the very first time, a new and mysterious version of the Arkham Knight will be debuting in a story that looks at Batman’s encounters with his villains throughout his career through the Arkham Knight’s eyes—but the Knight’s scheme remains to be seen.

The fan-favorite director of Clerks and one of Batman’s most visionary artists present a story that cuts between Batman fighting his greatest villains and his attempts to track down the gun that killed his parents.

“The Legend of Knute Brody” by Paul Dini, Dustin Nguyen, Derek Fridolfs and John Kalisz

The villains of Gotham speak, documentary-style, about that one henchman they each hired who was the absolute WORST at his job, constantly screwing up their plans.

Warren Ellis pens “The Batman’s Design” with Becky Cloonan, the first woman to draw Batman in the main comic series, in a story of Batman pursuing a pack of technologically enhanced mercenaries into a warehouse, where they think they’ve trapped him.

A direct sequel to O’Neil’s classic “There Is No Hope in Crime Alley,” from DETECTIVE COMICS #457, in which Leslie Thompkins takes Batman to task for his addiction to violence, which, in her mind, perpetuates the horror that birthed him.

Two of the biggest powerhouse writers and artists in the comic book industry work together on a story featuring Batman helping a young man escape from Ra’s al Ghul’s League of Assassins— who then turned up in Gotham, dead. Batman travels to Tibet with a message for the League.

The creative team behind Scarlet takes a unique future look at Batman and the Penguin. The Penguin comes to an elderly, wheelchair-bound Batman to tell him of the time that he learned Batman was Bruce Wayne—and to explain why he never did anything with that information.

Superstar writer Geoff Johns and famed artist Kelley Jones tell a future story where the future family of Batman and Catwoman face off in a battle with the family of The Joker and Harley Quinn.

The team of James Tynion IV and Alvaro Martinez return to Detective Comics after their highly successful Rebirth run, in a story of the night Bruce Wayne made the decision to bring Dick Grayson into his dark world, ending with the classic candlelight oath.

"Groundbreaking" Batman writer Tom King is joined by Tony Daniel and Joëlle Jones, who share artistic duties on the story. Presented using parallel story threads, Bruce Wayne visits his parents’ grave while Batman assembles his entire coalition of allies around him.

In addition to the above stories, DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 will feature additional art from Mikel Janín and Amanda Conner, as well as a two-page spread from Jason Fabok depicting the current state of the Batman universe and its heroes and villains.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/0...ve-comics-1000
    "Medeival", "Heretic", "The Last Crime in Gotham" and "The Precedent are the 4 I'm most looking forward to,just on these mini synopsis. Hopefully the others will be good to but the 4 writers on those stories have yet to disappoint me.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Lol The intro's for the various creative teams is too hilarious. Who knew writers required such diva handling. LOL. They are Superstars and don't you forget it. I'm impressed that Bendis the biggest names on the list don't get any grand intros. Makes me like the man a little more. Just read his free story and it's decent.
    King, Synder, Priest and Johns are the only ones that got the superstar diva intros.

Bendis has a big name that isn't reflected in his sales [his sales are nowhere near Tomasi and he's in just began his run]

Was going to pick it up regardless so happy to see they all look promising.

Sounds like the Knight has either been stalking or following Batman's career (fanboy?) or just coincidentally found himself around major fights between Batman and his villains.

This sounds like every Scott Snyder Batman story.

I hope this is a step-up from Smith's last take on Batman, but the premise sounds interesting enough (although I feel like I've seen this story before).

This sounds hilarious. Count on Paul Dini to turn in such a creative and fun idea for a Batman story .

Ellis on Batman? Cool .

Nice to have O'Neil back for this, and with Steve Epting no less! Hopefully this is a solid sequel to an iconic story.

I know some fans want more of Priest writing Batman, so I'm glad to see they get their wish here.

Well, you can already read this one online, but it was a solid enough feature.

This sounds like it could be really interesting depending on how Johns handles it. He's not one of my favorite Bat-writers but this should allow him to really play with the mythos in a different and potentially cool way.

Tynion's not my favorite Dick writer but I think this kind of story might play into his strengths.

Sounds like both an introspective story and a Batfamily story. Should be interesting to see how King does with it.

Astonishing Member

My complaint about There Is No Hope in Crime Alley is Alfred not knowing the significance of the date as to where Bruce goes. Alfred should be aware of that.

I can never bring myself to be super invested in future Batman stories. All the rest sound promising enough. Except Snyder's, which sounds like more of the same from him. (EDIT: Actually I'm now guessing with Batman Begins here that this will be a benevolent Batman fan-club of some kind.)At least he isn't muddying this landmark issue with The Batman Who Laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    My complaint about There Is No Hope in Crime Alley is Alfred not knowing the significance of the date as to where Bruce goes. Alfred should be aware of that.
    It should be muscle memory from winding the clock to the Batcave.

With Lelsie supposedly dead, I wonder what impact if any this will have on the sequel to No Hope in Crime Alley. I wonder if Tomasi did what he did to build up for that or if it will be swept under the rug.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 02-16-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Snyder and Capullo doing another secret society seems a bit...well, it's very on-brand, but also kinda frustrating.

Smith and Lee - I'm not even sure if I think it will be dumb, because I haven't read much that Smith's written recently. The whole "gun of Joe Chill" seems like a goofy MacGuffin, though. I like how Year Two treated it, just tossing it away.

Dini and Nguyen's story sounds incredibly fun, and I hope the Carpenter shows up!

Ellis and Cloonan's story seems very on brand, too, but I don't know quite what it's going to say about Batman. And it'll be quite nice to see Cloonan on Batman (or anything instead of writing) again.

The O'Neil and Epting story is probably one of the ones I look forward to most. I adored their work on the holiday special a few years back, and a sequel to a story 543 issues ago! Hooray!

Priest is an immediate sell for me, and while I don't love Adams that much, his extra story in the Action Comics 1000 Deluxe edition was much better than expected, so I am looking forward to this even more. The concept doesn't speak to me very much, but I have high hopes for Priest's Batman voice.

Bendis and Maleev's story - well, it's better than the Walmart Batman stuff so far, but it's not great. Maleev's actual Batman stuff is amazing, but Bendis's voices aren't really grabbing me.

Johns and Jones - interesting idea, but I bet we're going to see a bunch of OCs rather than beloved characters.

Tynion and Martinez - I'm really excited about this team, but the concept really doesn't excite me, sadly. I'm sure it'll be very emotional and well drawn, but the oath's already been done magnificently several times.

Nice to see King, Daniel, and Jones working together. I hope that all the pages are are good as the one King posted (and Daniel fixed for Red Hood's symbol!)

Fabok's spread is out, and it's glorious! I hope the Janin and Conner pin-ups are better than the John Romita Jr. and Walt Simonson Action 1000 ones, and more like the Jorge Jiminez one.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Fabok's spread is out, and it's glorious! I hope the Janin and Conner pin-ups are better than the John Romita Jr. and Walt Simonson Action 1000 ones, and more like the Jorge Jiminez one.

Based Fabok is based .

Random comments on the spread:

- Catwoman being at the center isn't too surprising, especially with the King run stuff in there.

- Glad to see they used the best Red Hood look.

- Yay, no Ric!

- All the Robins bunched together, unsurprisingly. Although now it's weird to think we basically have two Robins.

- I feel kind of bad that Huntress and the auxillary Bat-kids are relegated to being next to Batgirl's leg.

- Batgirl's current costume still looks like a middle-ground suit (more traditional the Burnside but can still pass off as a "young adult" look depending on the artist).

- I can't believe I'm saying this but...Harley, put some clothes on .

- I will never get why artists keep using the New 52 Ivy costume.

- Isn't Two-Face's whole suit supposed to be red? Not just the jacket?

Mighty Member

The Fabok cover is nice and all but not a fan of Catwoman's placing in it. I get the point is to illustrate her being neutral but it dominates the cover. She comes across as the primary figure, not Batman who should be as it's a celebration of him and his legacy. Still a nice piece though.