Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default [TV] Doom Patrol Appreciation Thread

Just finished the pilot of Doom Patrol on DCUniverse. I thought it was incredible and warranted its own thread here. Mods, feel free to close if I'm wrong.

That was my favorite episode of live-action DC TV since Batman '66. Exquisite.

Would love to hear from other fans.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

It was...interesting. if they are going for a Morrisonian vibe, it was well accomplished. I am curious if they are going to develop Rita beyond gelatinous blob.
    Definitely worth keeping the app for future episodes tho.

I feel like this is by far DC's best live action show yet! It's so good! The characters are all unique, perfectly cast and it leaves you wanting more. We need more quality DC shows that are as ambitious as this one is!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

I liked this more than the firs ep of "Titans" for what it's worth. I am not sure how much I was affected by having seen them in "Titans", but it seemed the show just got off to a fast start off the blocks. A whole bunch of origin stories all at once and it all made sense.
    Random Thoughts:
    HERE THERE BE SPOILERS
    -- Not a big fan of their depiction of the Negative Being (if that's what they decide it is) as a ball or humanoid-shaped form of electricity. Featureless black could have been cool, but maybe that would have looked too fake in live action? Either way, I look forward to seeing this explored. How will the "Negative" part factor in then?
    -- Larry as gay? (or bi, or pansexual, or etc) Totally works for me. One, it impacts zero of the stories I've read of him in the comics. Two, not that the first one even matters anyway. Three, it makes Larry's current state *so* much more interesting as an extension of his character and his history as a closeted man who had to hide his real self, cut off from society, feeling that there was something unnatural inside him, a split in his identity, etc... And it folds in a bit of the character's history as the hermaphrodite Rebis.
    -- Timothy Dalton is friggin' great here! Bond, Schmond.
    -- Rita is more difficult for me to get ahold of. Her current plight would be difficult for anyone, but Rita before her affliction didn't seem to have as much going on as Cliff or Larry as a sympathetic character to me.
    -- So, you know when they were all driving into town? Was I the only one who was like, "OH, I get it! These guys are like the Munsters!" (and they totally are)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-15-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Incredible Member

I really enjoyed it! Dalton was really good as Chief. Robotman was handled really well. Negative Man is awaiting further development as a character (at least for me). Rita just seems awkward. Crazy Jane was fun!

Now I’m waiting for the Cyborg intro (dang, DC just keeps trying to make this character ‘happen’. ). I wouldn’t mind having Celcius intro’d at some point.

I’m Definately gonna keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I really enjoyed it! Dalton was really good as Chief. Robotman was handled really well. Negative Man is awaiting further development as a character (at least for me). Rita just seems awkward. Crazy Jane was fun!

Now I’m waiting for the Cyborg intro (dang, DC just keeps trying to make this character ‘happen’.). I wouldn’t mind having Celcius intro’d at some point.

I’m Definately gonna keep watching.
    Perhaps it won't be my first choice to put Cyborg in a show like this either, but what's so inherently deficient about him that they should stop "trying to make him happen". The character has always been treated better in outside media than the comics.

The pilot was so good, Fraser was great

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really, really dug this, more than I was expecting. Cliff, Rita, Larry and Chief are all perfect. So is Jane.

I am still baffled that Cyborg is in this, again, instead of Titans. He's a Titan. Unless this is a backdoor to getting Cyborg into Titans because they couldn't get him the first time.

Cyborg is my reason for even giving this show a try. It just so happens that episode one was amazing so that's a plus.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Perhaps it won't be my first choice to put Cyborg in a show like this either, but what's so inherently deficient about him that they should stop "trying to make him happen". The character has always been treated better in outside media than the comics.
    People just don't care for him.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    People just don't care for him.
    I love Cyborg. He's fantastic on Teen Titans Go! However, putting him on every damned DC team makes it very hard to not view him as an admission by DC that he's their only decent black male hero, which is not true in the slightest.

John Stewart is awesome. Black Lightning is badass. Hell, Doctor Mist would be cool to see. Tempest is a black male member of the freakin' Doom Patrol and he's not on the show.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I love Cyborg. He's fantastic on Teen Titans Go! However, putting him on every damned DC team makes it very hard to not view him as an admission by DC that he's their only decent black male hero, which is not true in the slightest.

John Stewart is awesome. Black Lightning is badass. Hell, Doctor Mist would be cool to see. Tempest is a black male member of the freakin' Doom Patrol and he's not on the show.
    I remember Tempest from Kuppenberg's run. He isn't "blessed with suck" enough for the Doom Patrol. (I spend way too much time on TVTropes haha) What if Jeremy Carver, the show's EP added him on his own? Not everything is always forced on Executive Producers. Maybe he just fits the narrative of want they want to do. Not everything is an agenda.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I remember Tempest from Kuppenberg's run. He isn't "blessed with suck" enough for the Doom Patrol. (I spend way too much time on TVTropes haha) What if Jeremy Carver, the show's EP added him on his own? Not everything is always forced on Executive Producers. Maybe he just fits the narrative of want they want to do. Not everything is an agenda.
    It's still a bad look. DC is overplaying the Cyborg card to the point that even non-geeks are starting to wonder if DC only has one black character.

Hey, it works for Batman right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It's still a bad look. DC is overplaying the Cyborg card to the point that even non-geeks are starting to wonder if DC only has one black character.
    The people who think that aren't paying attention to DC's other products like Black Lightning.