Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Finally got to watch 'Paw Patrol'...

Really enjoyable... and really smart writing still.

spoilers:
    So, it turns out Jane is the '70s connection after all... That covers the '50s, '60s, '70s and '80s.
    Oh... heh... and Caulder may be the '40s connection, as seen in 'Puppet Patrol'.
    Interesting idea.

I'm interested in seeing what Nobody will gain from them meeting the 'original' Doom Patrol.
    end of spoilers

Also...

spoilers:
    The part where Jane was mind-controlling the doctor into jabbing his eye with a pen had me cringing.
    I was like... please don't show that. I've made it to the fifth episode and I'm committed to the series, and that would be just a bit more gore than what we've been conditioned to expect from the show. Especially if it was repeated over and over.
    I would've hated to have to stop the show.

I have a mild tolerance for gore. Such as obviously fake stuff in b-movies and such.
    But my roommate has a zero tolerance for it. And I've gotten him into Doom Patrol.
    Not sure if the Cyborg scene where his dad ripped his limbs off bothered him, or the scene where Cliff went berserk... He didn't say.
    It's likely that he overlooked them because the show is good and they really didn't exploit the gore in those scenes.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-16-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Saw this via File 770, a science fiction fandom newszine. Long-time sf and comics fan Ellen Vartanoff (who passed away March 17) costuming as Elasti-Girl in 1967. Via her brother-in-law Scott Edelman.

«Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    -- It seems fairly clear the word "torture" probably meant that the Neg Being feels tortured in this existence... unless it's some "Field of Dreams" thing where Larry's self-torture is something the Neg Being is trying to help him with...? I wondered at first if it's actually his boyfriend who somehow got turned into energy and bonded to him... we may not have seen all of Larry's origin yet.
    Larry's chat with the Chief in the bus was so sad - poor Larry. (I know I'll probably cry when they get to telling Kay's story) I don't recall them calling "the spirit" the "Negative Being" yet - maybe it will be Larry's attitude that get him the nickname "Negative Man."

This show is like if "Twin Peaks" had a baby with "Superfriends" then that baby took some mushrooms. I like! The whole "Re-creator" cult was hilarious and there were some sweet moments with Jane and the Chief. And Rita and the kid - this show, for all the insanity, ultimately has tons of heart.

Another great episode...

spoilers:
    Bet you thought there would be spoilers here.
    Nope... Not gonna do it...
    But will say the episode pushes several plots along nicely.
    end of spoilers

Well that was certainly a creative way to have on-screen cannibalism without doing anything too graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well that was certainly a creative way to have on-screen cannibalism without doing anything too graphic.
    LOL.
    I really like how the show manages to >almost< go too far, but doesn't.

Btw...
    spoilers:
    I was expecting them to swap Rita in for Rhea if/when they do Red Jack...
    But Rhea appearing here could be setup for a future Red Jack story with her. They didn't really do much with her in this episode and she could've easily been replaced by Scott Fischer, Karma or Nudge... So her use may be a deliberate choice for something else.
    end of spoilers

Oh, and DC needs to be putting out a new Doom Patrol comic.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-23-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Oh, and DC needs to be putting out a new Doom Patrol comic.
    No kidding. While there's plenty of weirdness to go around, what any new comic should draw from is the heart of the show - it really emphasizes the "damaged people becoming a family" dynamic more than them just becoming heroes. Rita's growth during the show has been especially impressive. I hope other people are liking it as much as we on the boards seem to be. I can't imagine there not being a season two!

Incredible Member

To be fair to Dc they thought they did put out a doom patrol book. It just happened their writer couldnt be arsed to write it - then went on tour, then spent time designing statues, writing spiderman, then missed the big crossover into main line of books dc set up for him, then went off to another publisher whilst saying oh yeah the book is definitely coming back. Nice one Gerard.

BANNED

Watched the first 6 episodes in awe. Best Superhero TV show in history. Weird, cool, powerful, intense, brilliant, mindblowing. Vastly better than Legion Season 1 and its utterly-mediocre Season 2.

About Episode 5, "Paw Patrol", more specifically the time travel thing:

spoilers:
    It's a fixed timeline like "Terminator 1". They showed Beverly (the leader of the Decreator cult) some time before Chief and Mr. Nobody would devise the plan involving time travel. So it's a fixed timeline and Nobody always interacted with Jane's past. Wow, brilliant.
    end of spoilers

ANYWAY... only 6 episodes released so far and I've already compiled a 3-page long timeline featuring all details and dates collected. Great.

Random kudos:
    -- the "finger inside me" joke
    -- The return of Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man!! Hilarious!
    -- That trophy room! I am sure someone will do a deep dive into the artifacts there and I am looking forward to reading it - my knowledge is woefully lacking (although I spotted Wonder Woman's "godslayer" sword -and in one piece...)
    -- I will never look at pinatas the same way again
    -- I love the JLA references. I am crossing fingers that we'll see a "The Painting that ate Paris" adaptation where the JLA are just standing there dumbfounded as the Doom Patrol suss out the situation and dive in to fix it. In my perfect world, it's the JLA from that failed tv show based on JLI.(with approximations of those exact outfits)

I actually hope it's Batman that appears with the League, if they do... So we can say, yes there's something he can't do. Lol.

My favorite line was the "Hey, Siri!" crack.

Meanwhile... Forbes had a write-up...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Watched the first 6 episodes in awe. Best Superhero TV show in history. Weird, cool, powerful, intense, brilliant, mindblowing. Vastly better than Legion Season 1 and its utterly-mediocre Season 2.

About Episode 5, "Paw Patrol", more specifically the time travel thing:

spoilers:
    It's a fixed timeline like "Terminator 1". They showed Beverly (the leader of the Decreator cult) some time before Chief and Mr. Nobody would devise the plan involving time travel. So it's a fixed timeline and Nobody always interacted with Jane's past. Wow, brilliant.
    end of spoilers

ANYWAY... only 6 episodes released so far and I've already compiled a 3-page long timeline featuring all details and dates collected. Great.
    I don't think Nobody had ALWAYS interacted with Jane. I think he interacted with Jane in this particular case, so that she could set into motion a plan that wouldn't cause a paradox effect. That's why Baphomet the Oracle did not initially know what Niles Caulder was talking about (i.e. the Book of the Re-creator), simply because Nobody hadn't enacted the plan yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I don't think Nobody had ALWAYS interacted with Jane.
    simply because Nobody hadn't enacted the plan yet.
    You didn't understand my point. It's a fixed timeline, and Mr. Nobody and "Dr. Harrison" 's relationship in 1977 is a predestination paradox.
    Baphomet (the oracle) did NOT detect the Book of the Recreator at first because some magic barrier or "fail safety". Mr. Nobody did NOT alter the past, he was always part of it --- like "12 Monkeys", Terminator 1 and so on...

The reason is simple: we see Old Beverly (the woman with the healthy air mask) aknowledging the situation some time before Caulder and Mr. Nobody would devise the "time traveling plan" in the white dimension.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 03-27-2019 at 04:06 AM.

My thoughts is that Nobody can exist at all times simultaneously.
    He's breaking the fourth wall continuously, and that puts him outside the natural laws of their world.
    He can see or visit flashbacks, he can alter objects or people at will like a writer or artist, he's the ultimate omniscient narrator.

I think Beverly was selected as the chosen one because she was a convenient coincidence. She had been seen with the bystanders and she just happened to have intersected with Jane in the past.

Kinda like going to Walmart and needing ten dollars... taking a look around you see a man you went to school with, then project a reality change into your past where you gave that man ten dollars telling him you'll need it back one day and set up a post-hypnotic suggestion so he'll act on an impulse.
    Then, voila, he walks up to you in the present and gives you ten dollars.

BANNED

I think Beverly was selected as the chosen one because she was a convenient coincidence. She had been seen with the bystanders and she just happened to have intersected with Jane in the past.

Yes, but I think that they will play with time travel again via Crazy Jane and one of her personalities. So basically, I think the Doom Patrol timeline is a fixed one. That would make time travel in the show more easy to handle... everytime they go back in past, nothing changes, because they always interacted with the past.

That would also explain why Jane has not aged at all. She travels back and forth in time. So she jumped from 1978 or so to 1990s and then 2019.

My thoughts is that Nobody can exist at all times simultaneously.
    He's breaking the fourth wall continuously, and that puts him outside the natural laws of their world.
    He can see or visit flashbacks, he can alter objects or people at will like a writer or artist, he's the ultimate omniscient narrator.
    If that would be the case, then the Doom Patrol is doomed. Mr. Nobody could travel back in time and stop the "incidents" which gave them the powers from ever happening.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 03-27-2019 at 09:50 AM.