Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Admiral Whiskers is so fun.
    Another great episode, love all characters
    I was a little apprehensive going into the episode, because the preview last week didn't give any indication anything was going to happen. And last week's episode was the highest peak, IMO, so this week was going to have tough shoes to follow.
    Then again, all the previews have been really low-key, with a sort of casual subtlety.

But the way the episode was structured, with the separate narratives coming together strengthened the story. And then taking it a bit further with an additional sequence with Whiskers was a nice touch.
    And the writers again showed their intelligence by having Rita react to the appearance of Whiskers without making a statement that would have been too 'on the nose' after her 'don't let there by rats' comment in the furnace.

What makes me the most nervous is how much detail they will be going into with Jane's abuse and Rita's past (which I'm suspecting involves an abortion).
    I can handle it, but I'm afraid if they get too graphic about either, it might turn my roommate off.
    So far, they've been really good about not pushing the envelope too far.
    There were a couple times I expected my roommate to say something but didn't.
    The pinata cops scene was met with a 'that's corny', and Whisker's narrative was met with 'that's bizzaro', which I think was an improvement.
    I think he's starting to get how the rules of DP's world are unique to them.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-01-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Creepy and funny episode. Very frightening in some scenes. God, I love this.

I don't know why, but this episode had a very intense and unsettling effect on me.

"THERAPY !!!!! THERAPY !!!!!" LOL.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

This is one of the weirdest trainwrecks I have ever loved watching.

And this week we get to finally meet Danny the Street (who was name-dropped a few episodes back).

I wonder if there is a connection between Danny and Admiral Whiskers & Ezekiel.

Dare I say, this episode was... Fabulous!

Spoilers saved til later...

"People like us, we got to stick together..." Love this show so much! Matt Bommer has a great voice! Also Danny the Street is a really cool character/concept.

Karen is just a hilarious personality, though her powers remind me of the ones Dr Harrison has.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Remember that time when one of your favorite scenes from any super-hero movie or tv show was the musical number?? Yeah, Mother-F'in Doom Patrol...

BANNED

Two questions about Rita:

1- Is she supposed to be Elasti-Girl or Elasti-Woman? The actress is 39 years old, and Rita's aging stopped in 1955. I thought she was supposed to be "Elasti-Woman", frankly.

2- At the beginning of "Doom Patrol Patrol", during the 1956 flashback, did the producer say to Rita that she has been in Hollywood's "black list" since 1946, ten years before?

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Two questions about Rita:

1- Is she supposed to be Elasti-Girl or Elasti-Woman? The actress is 39 years old, and Rita's aging stopped in 1955. I thought she was supposed to be "Elasti-Woman", frankly.

2- At the beginning of "Doom Patrol Patrol", during the 1956 flashback, did the producer say to Rita that she has been in Hollywood's "black list" since 1946, ten years before?
    1. Rita is just "Rita" in the show right now, I believe. In the promotional material, she's called 'Elasti-Woman' and I doubt she'll be called 'Elasti-Girl', as our society has moved away from women being called 'girls' unless they're under 18.
    In the comics, Rita was originally called 'Elasti-Woman' and Cliff was called 'Automaton', and it wasn't until four issues later that they began being called 'Elasti-Girl' and 'Robotman'.
    And this being the '60s the changes happened without any fanfare.

My guess is that 'Elasti-Woman' made Rita sound too old to the younger readers and 'Automaton' was probably too clunky of a name. Explains why Cliff was just called 'Cliff Steele' most of the time. And 'Robotman' does seem to roll off the tongue better.

2. Sorry for the delay... I had to go back and re-watch that scene.
    What he says is:

"Scoop around town is you're nothing but trouble.
    Moody, abusive, and there's not a makeup girl in the burg who'll touch you."
    And then adds:
    "You wanna talk turkey?
    You don't need help.
    What you need is a miracle.
    Because the name "Rita Farr" hasn't put a butt in the seat in a dog's age.
    Concrete shines brighter than your star..."
    I think Rita mentions being blacklisted later to one of the others, but I'm not sure when she says it.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-07-2019 at 05:07 PM.

I haven't seen this series yet, as I pay enough for my TV service as it is, but from everything I'm hearing about Doom Patrol, I'll definitely get this show on Blu-ray!!

Quote Originally Posted by karatattoo View Post
    I haven't seen this series yet, as I pay enough for my TV service as it is, but from everything I'm hearing about Doom Patrol, I'll definitely get this show on Blu-ray!!
    It's amazing. Understood about paying too much for TV but what about for comics? DC Universe is adding their complete digital comics library this month: over 20,000 issues. Between DP, YJ: Outsiders, the comics library, and the upcoming Swamp Thing and Stargirl shows, I call it a bargain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    1. Rita is just "Rita" in the show right now, I believe. In the promotional material, she's called 'Elasti-Woman' and I doubt she'll be called 'Elasti-Girl', as our society has moved away from women being called 'girls' unless they're under 18.
    In the comics, Rita was originally called 'Elasti-Woman' and Cliff was called 'Automaton', and it wasn't until four issues later that they began being called 'Elasti-Girl' and 'Robotman'.
    And this being the '60s the changes happened without any fanfare.

2. Sorry for the delay... I had to go back and re-watch that scene.
    What he says is:

Wow, great answers, I love your posts. I didn't know about her being "Elasti-Woman" in the very first issues at all. Thank you so much.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

This was the best episode!
    Danny the street is gorgeous, I want to go there!
    This show is amazing, every week is better and better.
    And this kind of movies should not be my cup of tea, i always loved realistic shows, as it may be a superhero show. I’ve always hated magical, multiverses, alternative dimentions... but this is terrific! Love the fun atmosphere that surrounds it since the start, it’s an errant freak show.
    I’m in love with Doom Patrol❤️

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    This was the best episode!
    Danny the street is gorgeous, I want to go there!
    This show is amazing, every week is better and better.
    And this kind of movies should not be my cup of tea, i always loved realistic shows, as it may be a superhero show. I’ve always hated magical, multiverses, alternative dimentions... but this is terrific! Love the fun atmosphere that surrounds it since the start, it’s an errant freak show.
    I’m in love with Doom Patrol❤️
    You summed it up for us, buddy!
    We ALL love Doom Patrol.
    It's just the greatest superhero TV show in history.

I liked Titans, even with its flaws, but this show it's something else! I never, ever, thought my favorite scene from a live action comic book series would be a musical number and i hate musicals! I can't stop singing in my head.