Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

That was just terrific. I'd like to see so much more DCU content from the creative team behind this show.

Two episodes in and I am very impressed. Much more than I was expecting. This balances the "darkness" and even the adult language a lot better with characterization and heroics than "Titans" IMO. I think a big part of that is dividing the focus between all the characters in a way that Titans didn't. It helps that the DP have also known each other a long time (mostly) as opposed to Titans. Still, I am a lot more enthused by this show after 2 eps than I was after a full season of Titans.

And as we can see, it seems Cyborg's story really has more to do with his relationship with his father than any "man v machine" trope. (which is why most people seemed to think having him and Robotman on the same team was redundant)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-23-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Wow this series continues to impress. Easily the best show DC has at the moment! It's just so engaging and all the characters are so likeable, in an odd way. I love Crazy Jane, her powers are so OP and Diane is so talented. Negative Man is really cool too, and this show actually made Cyborg interesting again!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I take back all the reservations I had about Cyborg once again being shoehorned into another team that isn't the Titans. This works perfectly. I much prefer this Cyborg to the one we got in Justice League. Hopefully, Beast Boy will be making a guest appearance soon so they can finally establish that friendship in this continuity. Teen Titans Go has being the only one keeping that element alive for the last few years.

Otherwise, I think the show is a bit bloated. It could use a bit of tightening up. Not sure where, but it feels a little overstuffed at the moment. Maybe subsequent episodes will have more time to focus on individual characters. I hope Mr. Nobody remains as the show's snarky narrator. His comments are great at deflating how pretentious the show can get.

Looking forward to the next episode. Thus far, this is looking to be a much stronger series than Titans was, which could have used a Mr. Nobody to point out how ridiculous that show was.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

this was amazing!! is there a thread for the comic version aswell?
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    this was amazing!! is there a thread for the comic version aswell?
    The Search Box in the upper right corner is your friend....

Incredible Member

I have a feeling that "Paraguay" will be instrumental in the creation of many of the metahumans the Doom Patrol will have to face off/interact in the future (like the Brotherhood of Dada, for instance).

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Another great episode, this mix of humor, dark and fantasy still works really good.
    I love Rita, Cliff and Jane they often make me laugh loud.
    This series is so fresh and different from everything else, I really needed this.

So... my roommate says to me... you wanna get that DC Netflix thing..?

And I was like, well, it wouldn't hurt to try it...

And of course, the first thing I do is watch the Doom Patrol.

After watching all three episodes, here's my thoughts...

I wouldn't be surprised if someone at DC watches this and goes, 'We own these characters? Why aren't we using them?'

This was definitely my favorite new show since Firefly.

I really like how they managed to tie each character to a distinct era, while keeping them active today. With Rita drawn from the 50s, drawing on Hollywood glamour and B-Movies, Larry from the '60s, bringing in a bit of a Silver Age Hal Jordan feel, and Cliff from the '80s...
    Crazy Jane, although not explored yet, dresses very '90s...
    I'm almost wanting to see Joshua Clay or someone pop up with a '70s background.

Loved the Donkey Door.
    Matter of fact, there was one scene that won me over with how intellectually written it is.
    spoilers:
    It's when Rita says the the Donkey is a Door, and Cliff makes her repeat herself. And she says 'I see what you did there'. It was a piece of humor that was left partially invisible, instead of hammering it in.
    end of spoilers

As for Cyborg... the team could use a recognizable face, like Vic. And he fits, as does his dad and STAR Labs.
    Meanwhile...
    spoilers:
    I was suspecting something insidious behind Vic's origin before the seeds started being dropped. I'm pretty sure that it was Vic's dad that accidentally killed his mom and crippled him. He then altered his memories. Note that Vic's dad quotes him word for word of what he said in the other dimension when he confronted Nobody.
    Those weren't Vic's words. It was his programming.
    end of spoilers

I do hope we get to see the Brotherhood at all three incarnations over the course of the series.
    And I look forward to seeing who the others are that have moved on from Doom Manor.

Dorothy is bound to appear.
    Danny the Street is already there, sort of...
    Flex Mentallo and Celsius would be interesting to see, as well.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I take back all the reservations I had about Cyborg once again being shoehorned into another team that isn't the Titans. This works perfectly. I much prefer this Cyborg to the one we got in Justice League. Hopefully, Beast Boy will be making a guest appearance soon so they can finally establish that friendship in this continuity. Teen Titans Go has being the only one keeping that element alive for the last few years.

Otherwise, I think the show is a bit bloated. It could use a bit of tightening up. Not sure where, but it feels a little overstuffed at the moment. Maybe subsequent episodes will have more time to focus on individual characters. I hope Mr. Nobody remains as the show's snarky narrator. His comments are great at deflating how pretentious the show can get.

Looking forward to the next episode. Thus far, this is looking to be a much stronger series than Titans was, which could have used a Mr. Nobody to point out how ridiculous that show was.
    At first I was hoping Cyborg would get set up in this show and then get moved over to Titans. Now I'm hoping he stays and that find a way to write Gar out of Titans and back onto the Doom Patrol. Like you said, the Cyborg friendship would be great to see. Plus he seemed so out of place and underutilized in Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    At first I was hoping Cyborg would get set up in this show and then get moved over to Titans. Now I'm hoping he stays and that find a way to write Gar out of Titans and back onto the Doom Patrol. Like you said, the Cyborg friendship would be great to see. Plus he seemed so out of place and underutilized in Titans.
    I watched some of the Titans episode that introduced the Doom Patrol...
    It was kinda weird seeing almost everyone having color-coded hair instead of color-coded costumes.
    I'm guessing Dick just pretends to dye his hair his natural color and tells everyone that he's really blond.

I did like seeing Raven at Doom Manor, though.

Finally started watching and it has been so awesome. I cannot overstate how much I love this show so far. It's few flaws are things that only bug me and aren't very major.

I've wanted DC to do Doom Patrol for years (was hoping to pitch something myself) and the tonal/story balance is incredible. The cheaper looking special effects feel right at home, it doesn't take me out like it did in Titans. Everyone has distinct character, the plot feels very meandering but with purpose. This I think is why I'm enjoying it so much more than I did with Titans. Everything that is happening feels like it's building towards something while Titans would bring things up, forget about them, or make random changes and pretend they were always there.

I'm not really a big fan of the idea to change Negative Man's backstory even though it is being done extremely well, the whole secret gay thing hits me on a very personal level. My dad was like him and it ended up ripping my family apart so kinda a touchy subject. This is an example for me personally where I see a bad idea done really well. Matt Bomer's as Negative Man was perfect casting really and I really want to see him work with his Negative self. The casting and art direction has seriously been incredible. I kinda wish I waited for the season to be over so I can binge it all.

I was a bit worried about Cyborg being there but the direction they went with was very smooth and natural. Really love the look, I wasn't indifferent about it and still don't like the finger gloves but it's a great design for this world.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I think it's interesting that Cyborg is being used here in a similar way as Dick is being used in "Titans" - they're the "superhero" of the group. They're used as the delivery device for taking these characters and focusing them (narratively) into the "superhero" genre rather than horror, sci-fi or what have you. They have ties to the bigger names of the DCU - in Vic's case it's either by ambition or misconception. (like when that guy mistakenly thinks he's in the Justice League) and of course, they also assume a leadership role, trying to get them to train, etc. (They also have big issues with their male parental figure having control over them and determining their future) The biggest difference between them is that Dick is kindof a burnout while Vic is still new and aspiring to be A-List.

So for all those who questioned Cy's role on the team, whether it was because he's never been in the DP or thinking that he and Cliff were redundant, there ya go...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think it's interesting that Cyborg is being used here in a similar way as Dick is being used in "Titans" - they're the "superhero" of the group. They're used as the delivery device for taking these characters and focusing them (narratively) into the "superhero" genre rather than horror, sci-fi or what have you. They have ties to the bigger names of the DCU - in Vic's case it's either by ambition or misconception. (like when that guy mistakenly thinks he's in the Justice League) and of course, they also assume a leadership role, trying to get them to train, etc. (They also have big issues with their male parental figure having control over them and determining their future) The biggest difference between them is that Dick is kindof a burnout while Vic is still new and aspiring to be A-List.

So for all those who questioned Cy's role on the team, whether it was because he's never been in the DP or thinking that he and Cliff were redundant, there ya go...
    There's parts of Wolfman's Titans that made it somewhat of a spiritual successor to Doom Patrol.

Changeling/Beast Boy being the original tie, the Brotherhood of Evil entered its second incarnation as a Titans enemy group, Cyborg had the tragic backstory that would fit a Doom Patrol member (and was probably a reason Gar and Vic were easy to form a relationship)...
    And the Titans also adopted the Doom Patrol's position as DC's analog to the X-Men with Wolfman and Perez's run.

I don't know if Cyborg will be staying permanently. Most likely not. He'll probably end up on Titans to give them a reason to cross over.
    But in the meantime, I do see a lot of story potential...

The similarities between Caulder and Vic's dad. In particular, how secretive and self-serving they may be. And then maybe exploring their differences, as well.

Vic is different enough from Cliff that they don't seem redundant being on the same team. And I think that his adjustment (and acceptance) of his changed life, including his appearance and how others see him, will become a major key to his purpose in the team right now. That's something that Cliff and Rita both need help with.

And during the current storyline, with Niles' trust being in question, the team needs a solid anchor to keep them from spreading out and just walking away in their own directions.
    Well, Larry may not have that problem, as we've seen (which was a very entertaining sequence, btw).

So, I think Vic will be around at least until Niles gets back and regains the teams trust and comes clean about some things. And it may take him seeing how Vic's dac treats him (see the spoiler in one of my earlier posts as for why I think this will become important) to break his wall of pride down to meet them on the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    And during the current storyline, with Niles' trust being in question, the team needs a solid anchor to keep them from spreading out and just walking away in their own directions.
    Well, Larry may not have that problem, as we've seen (which was a very entertaining sequence, btw).
    Oh yeah, I was wondering about that when I saw the scene with Larry waking up on the beam - how would the Negative Being have accomplished that? It's not its been shown to take over Larry's body or physically carry objects like his body. Larry usually just wakes up where he falls, so ... yeah, I wasn't sure about that.