Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

I don't know if Cyborg will be staying permanently. Most likely not. He'll probably end up on Titans to give them a reason to cross over.
    But in the meantime, I do see a lot of story potential...
    I honestly don't know which direction they might move with Cyborg. It's true that he would more "naturally" fit with the Titans, so I could see a move in that direction. But I don't know if we will really see much in the way of crossovers. As the show runners have pointed out, the two series have very different tones and the characterizations on Doom Patrol don't really fit those of Titans. Plus crossovers would be very hard to pull off since Titans films in Toronto and Doom Patrol films in Georgia.

Also, Cyborg brings something the Doom Patrol needs, a tie to the greater universe and more-or-less stable leadership. With Timothy Dalton likely unavailable much of the time, I could see them keeping Cyborg as the team's de facto anchor character. As j9ac9k says, he serves the same kind of function Dick Grayson does for the Titans, and it's hard to see who else could do that at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Oh yeah, I was wondering about that when I saw the scene with Larry waking up on the beam - how would the Negative Being have accomplished that? It's not its been shown to take over Larry's body or physically carry objects like his body. Larry usually just wakes up where he falls, so ... yeah, I wasn't sure about that.
    That, too...
    But I was actually referring to Larry's attempts to leave by the bus.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

So... just a few more hours until the new episode...
    And the introduction, it seems, of the Decreator...

New episode was good.
    Nothing more to say without spoiling it all.

This show is so good! Best superhero show currently out there! All the characters are so unique, well acted, interesting! I find myself wanting more after every episode! Jane and Larry are still my favorites
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    This show is so good! Best superhero show currently out there! All the characters are so unique, well acted, interesting! I find myself wanting more after every episode! Jane and Larry are still my favorites
    I agree.
    I like all the characters. It's really well-rounded.

It's actually made me consider getting back into Stan Against Evil and Ash vs. the Evil Dead to fill the time between episodes.

I'm trying to decide why I like this so much more than Titans...is the Doom Patrol just a more likeable group than the Titans? Better casting? Obviously some of the Titans are pretty far afield of their comics versions (Starfire in particular) but so are some of the DP (like Larry's new background and apparently everyone but Jane was a bad parent at some point.) Titans also felt like DC trying to do a Netflix MCU show and be all serious and dramatic and WOW, SUPERHEROES ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS and that didn't work for me (just like a lot of the MCU Netflix I've seen doesn't work for me.) But I think the big advantage DP has is they're already a team--well, no, not a team exactly, and not a family either, but a collective who understands each other. At the end of Titans I'm still not sure why these people voluntarily associate with each other (except Dick and Donna, Donna was a breath of fresh air on that show.) Four episodes of Doom Patrol and it's incredibly clear what the character dynamics are, and throwing Vic into the mix just made it more interesting. Maybe Titans should have skipped the team building and gone with a built team from the beginning and fill us in with flashbacks when needed.

Anyway, I love this show, I've felt the need to watch each episode twice (episode 4 was much funnier the second time, I guess I needed to digest the weirdness before I started picking up on the dialogue jokes.) This and Young Justice are absolutely worth my subscription fees.

Doom Patrol has a tongue-in-cheek knowingly weird thing going on. It's just fun.
    It's not so much that it can't be taken seriously, though. It avoids falling into outright silliness or satire.
    And it's got some smart dialogue going on.

Plus, the characters not ony feel human, you can also see the obstacles and challenges they need to overcome, even if they just can't see them, yet.

I will say that the choices for actors were great. I watched the Titans episode and Dalton is a much better Chief, I think.

I like how they are mining both the original run and Morrison's. And adding Crazy Jane to original line-up was all it needed. Go figure!
    Too bad we can't get something like this in comics today.
    However, I personally think the Giffen run came the closest in combining both eras into one.

The Cliff Shirts...

And a bit of trivia... as I was scouring the episodes for the shirts...

The Cheap & Sleep Motel payphone/kitten scene with Cliff was apparently filmed in Stockbridge, GA. When the camera cuts to the second shot showing the motel's sign, a sign for the Stockbridge Inn is visible in the background.

It's been so long since I've read Morrison's run, I never would have remembered Kipling as their Constantine stand-in when whey weren't allowed to use him. I'm sure there are other nods to the comic that are just going over my head.

Re: Cult Patrol
    -- Was I the only one who kept thinking that they didn't need to kill/burn the kid, they just needed to burn/obscure one word or one part of the book to prevent them from reading it (presumably). It wasn't even suggested.
    -- It seems fairly clear the word "torture" probably meant that the Neg Being feels tortured in this existence... unless it's some "Field of Dreams" thing where Larry's self-torture is something the Neg Being is trying to help him with...? I wondered at first if it's actually his boyfriend who somehow got turned into energy and bonded to him... we may not have seen all of Larry's origin yet.
    -- This show continues to just be *fun!* It has that great balance of humor and human drama without sacrificing the seriousness of the threats, while keeping to the feel of Morrison's run.
    -- Is this the first time we've actually seen Rita use her abilities as a power? We've seen her "blob out" plenty of times, but it was great seeing her really use it in a directed way.

I quite enjoyed Discount Consta-Kipling.

And the DeCreator was a favorite of mine.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's been so long since I've read Morrison's run, I never would have remembered Kipling as their Constantine stand-in when whey weren't allowed to use him. I'm sure there are other nods to the comic that are just going over my head.

Re: Cult Patrol
    -- Was I the only one who kept thinking that they didn't need to kill/burn the kid, they just needed to burn/obscure one word or one part of the book to prevent them from reading it (presumably). It wasn't even suggested.
    I thought of that, too... But there was probably some magical reason that it wouldn't work. I let it slide.

-- It seems fairly clear the word "torture" probably meant that the Neg Being feels tortured in this existence... unless it's some "Field of Dreams" thing where Larry's self-torture is something the Neg Being is trying to help him with...? I wondered at first if it's actually his boyfriend who somehow got turned into energy and bonded to him... we may not have seen all of Larry's origin yet.
    I'm not sure where... It was either in the Giffen run or the Way run... They mentioned something to do with the Negative Spirit needing Larry to feel miserable to manifest.
    This could be a take on that, with the Negative Spirit being drawn to Larry initially because of the struggles he was going through with his family, his lover and the military.
    It may want him to stay miserable...
    Or... in another twist... Maybe it wants to depart Larry, but to do that he has to fix Larry's life so he'll stop torturing himself.

-- This show continues to just be *fun!* It has that great balance of humor and human drama without sacrificing the seriousness of the threats, while keeping to the feel of Morrison's run.
    I agree. Comics could learn a lot.

-- Is this the first time we've actually seen Rita use her abilities as a power? We've seen her "blob out" plenty of times, but it was great seeing her really use it in a directed way.
    Yeah. I was actually expecting him to jump and her instinctively catch him and pull him back in.

I really do hope the comics take some things from the show and implement them, specifically Larry's story arc. This show is definitely doing wonders for the Doom Patrol! I defintely see alot of new fans being made because it's such a quality show, myself included.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!