Default Chameleon Appreciation (2019)

from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 (1964)

First appearance:
    Amazing Spider-Man #1 (March 1963)

how old is this guy supposed to be at this point, if he grew up with Kraven? And supposedly, Kraven's potions helped kept him in shape?

from
    The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update '89 No. 1 (July 1989):

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

I grew reading stories during the era when Chameleon was a sneaky wanna be crimelord, manipulating Hammerhead, Maggia and other supervillain into toppling the Kingpin as the top crime boss of NY, so that's my favorite version of Chameleon. I hated when they connected him with Kraven or made him insane.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    I grew reading stories during the era when Chameleon was a sneaky wanna be crimelord, manipulating Hammerhead, Maggia and other supervillain into toppling the Kingpin as the top crime boss of NY, so that's my favorite version of Chameleon. I hated when they connected him with Kraven or made him insane.
    The connection with Kraven actually dates back to Amazing Spider-Man #15 (August 1964), which was Kraven's first appearance:

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Here, Kraven was a hired hunter to stop Spidey, but i hated that him and Chameleon became relatives and Chameleon being a looney.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

I love this cover from Ends of the Earth

"The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I think about that image every day.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Thumbs up

To me that is one lousy cover.

BANNED

Tales to Astonish #62 Dec 1964
    "Enter... the Chameleon!"
    Continuing from last issue, the army is about to execute the Hulk.
    Meanwhile, the mysterious Leader hires the Chameleon to travel to New Mexico to
    find out what happened to the spy he hired to steal the robot from the missile base.
    While in New York, Rick Jones hears of the Hulk's fate and gets permission from Captain America to go to his friend's rescue.
    Both the Chameleon in disguise and Rick Jones end up flying to New Mexico on the same plane.

While in New Mexico, Betty Ross worries that perhaps Bruce ran into the Hulk while out in the desert,
    not knowing that the Hulk is really Bruce Banner himself. The Hulk, meanwhile, is attempting to break free of his bonds,
    bringing him near to the point where his level of excitement would cause him to revert into Bruce Banner.
    Rick Jones arrives on the base and tries to get near the Hulk, but fails each time.

The Chameleon fares better however, disguising himself as Thunderbolt Ross and asking the Hulk to aid him.
    When the Hulk refuses, the Chameleon, using General Ross' brass, sends the other soldiers away so they can talk more.
    While his back is turned, the Hulk's constant strain causes him to change back into Banner.
    He escapes the bonds that were made to hold someone of the Hulk's size.
    Rick finds the fleeing Banner and secrets him away long enough for Bruce to change clothes.

Banner reports to Ross, who is reprimanding his soldiers for allowing the Hulk to escape.
    Talbot attempts to question Banner, but Banner rebuffs him.
    Walking out of the room, Banner is knocked out and tied up by the Chameleon who disguises
    himself as Banner in order to steal the plans and a prototype for a grenade-type gamma bomb.

Betty interrupts the Chameleon and soon realizes that she's talking to an impostor. As the Chameleon tries to capture the girl,
    Bruce Banner who is locked in the closet turns into the Hulk and smashes through the wall to save Betty.

The Chameleon holds the Hulk at bay by threatening him with the Gamma grenade until the Hulk is scared off by an approaching military patrol.

The Chameleon tries to get rid of Betty by shooting her off into a rocket speed-velocity test sled,
    but the Hulk stops it and saves Betty, then chases after the Chameleon.

Knocking away an army of soldiers, the Hulk dives on the Gamma grenade,
    which the Chameleon attempted to use to destroy the Hulk.
    The resulting explosion is contained by the Hulk's body. T
    The gamma radiation causes the Hulk to revert to Bruce Banner, who escapes in the smoke.

Later, during a board of inquiry, due to Betty's testimony, Banner is cleared of any suspected involvement,
    but Ross explains that he will find out what sort of connection if any there is between Banner and the Hulk.
    Elsewhere, the Leader decides that it's time for him to get involved in finding the government secrets he seeks...

Script by Stan Lee, art by Steve Ditko and George Roussos (as George Bell)