Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Yamcha should still have been training fervently up until we see him again in the Saiyajin Saga, since this was before he more or less retired from trying to keep up with Goku and still tended to abandon Bulma for years on end to train for Budokais. He was also acknowledged as a genius fighter whose potential Kami-sama was praising up and down throughout their fight (read: Kami curbstomping him, but still a waaaaaaay better performance than Piccolo-Daimaou Era Goku's initial attempt to kill Kami went, though Kami was probably still holding back a lot in both scenarios), and he was already a least in the same ballpark as Goku was during the fight against Piccolo Daimaou by then (going by how he seemed to be able to keep track of Goku and Tenshinhan when the latter was restricting himself to the store level Goku had during that point), so being able to get Radditz+ after undergoing the training that Goku did while stronger than Goku was when he started said training, only with multiple sparring partners to train alongside isn't particularly weird.

And Yamcha pretty decisively defeated his Saibaman (while explicitly advocating that they draw out the fights as long as they can to give Goku the time to reach Earth), he just got caught off guard by the suicide attack from a being at least in the same ballpark as himself.

Honestly, the How Kuririn Got His Groove Back Arc in Dragonball Super would have made a lot more sense if it was for Yamcha rather than Kuririn, and then Yamcha could have been swapped in for Roshi, who he had long since surpassed.
    My god. I'm not saying this is a perfect analogy or comparison, but Yamcha being taken out by the Saibaman due to confidence just reminded me of The Mountain and the Red Viper.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    My god. I'm not saying this is a perfect analogy or comparison, but Yamcha being taken out by the Saibaman due to confidence just reminded me of The Mountain and the Red Viper.
    I don't really know that I'd say it was due to overconfidence so much as him being the only one that even played like service to their plan of drawing out the fights and then getting caught off guard by his opponent's choice to commit suicide rather than be killed by Vegeta when he spared its life.

Honestly, all the human fighters, especially Yamcha, are essentially the equivalent of Naruto's Sakura Haruno, in that they are hard working geniuses who just happen to end up hanging around people who work at least as hard as themselves, are also geniuses, and also have a bunch of broken abilities that they are born with which give them arbitrary massive power boosts whenever it is convenient to the plot. I'm hoping that one of the humans figure out how to use God Ki and/or Ultra Instinct and essentially close the difference.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 02-19-2019 at 09:54 PM.

I don't really know that I'd say it was due to overconfidence so much as him being the only one that even played like service to their plan of drawing out the fights and then getting caught off guard by his opponent's choice to commit divide reader than be killed by Vegeta when he spared its life.

Honestly, all the human fighters, especially Yamcha, are essentially the equivalent of Naruto's Sakura Haruno, in that they are hard working geniuses who just happen to end up hanging around people who work at least as hard as themselves, are also geniuses, and also have a bunch of broken abilities that they are born with which give them arbitrary massive power boosts whenever it is convenient to the plot. I'm hoping that one of the humans figure out how to use God Ki and/or Ultra Instinct and essentially close the difference.
    Well, at least the son of an actual super saiyan God hasn't appeared to Goku and Vegeta and given them God powers because they're the reincarnations of his children...

Unless that's how they got Super Saiyan Blue, and they didn't show us.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

I don't really know that I'd say it was due to overconfidence so much as him being the only one that even played like service to their plan of drawing out the fights and then getting caught off guard by his opponent's choice to commit suicide rather than be killed by Vegeta when he spared its life.

His back was turned after a decisive victory over the Saibaman. He was confident. It wasn't unearned or unjustified confidence mind you (that's the difference between confidence and overconfidence; nor did I say he was overconfident, but that's splitting hairs), but it did mean lowering his guard because no one expected the Saiyans and the Saibamen to take it that far.