Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Arrow From speed demon to whirling dervish: Ricochet Rita / Spiral Appreciation (2019)

Mojoverse, the dimension of the Spineless-Ones, is a twisted warped sick place, with a dangerous tendency to history repeating and loops.

One of these saddest loops is Rita/Spiral, whose story's got some sort of Greek tragedy's quality in its ironic fate.

Imagine you're a carefree happy-go-lucky self-sufficent stuntwoman, who lives only for the following kamikaze scene and your beloved dog and parrot. Suddenly an alien crosses your path, then your wild life goes truly wild and your loyalty, courage and recklessness cause you going to pieces...and pursuing in a neverending cycle your old innocent self. So burning rancor and cold violence are your only drives from now on.

Poor wounded thing.

RITA "RICOCHET" WAYWORD

Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 120 lbs?
    Skin: White
    Eyes: Brown
    Hair: Black

SPIRAL

Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 162 lbs
    Skin: Reddish
    Eyes: Yellow (cornea and iris)
    Hair: Silver
    Unusual Features: Six arms (one fully cybernetic), three fingers in hands and feet

Spell Casting:
    Spiral has powerful mystical abilities. With gestures or dance moves, she can teleport herself and numerous people across great distances. Teleportation and her more powerful spells require complicated dance moves. Some of Spiral's spell-casting powers can be triggered through small hand gestures of her many hands. Spiral often incorporates knives and swords into more complicated spells. Spiral can also disguise herself through her magic. With Mojo's aid or specific astral events, Spiral can open gateways between dimensions and travel through time. Currently, her trans-realities powers have been cancelled by Mojo, and she can only teleport on Earth-616 where Mojo dumped her.

Abilities:

Spiral is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant and sword fighter. Her six arms are fully coordinated, giving her great dexterity and athletic ability. However, Spiral will often lose to less powerful opponents due to tendencies of overconfidence, toying with her foe for too long, or becoming distracted. To cast many, if not all of her spells, Spiral's arms must be free and unhindered and, in some cases, she must be free to dance as well.

Spiral demonstrated highly developed skills in cybernetics and genetic manipulation which she has used to turn humans into powerful cyborgs at her Body Shoppe. Most notable include Lady Deathstrike and the cybernetic Reavers, who have since been "upgraded" by Donald Pierce.

Origins: Longshot #1-6 (1985-86) + X-Factor Annual #7 (1992)

[Extracts from Marvel Database]

Two awesome samples of fanart:

Ricochet Rita by fedde

Spiral by Kevin Wada

Really a shame that we never really got any follow up on Spiral being split off from Mojo after he banished her back in Uncanny X-Force and in the present she’s right back in the same position she was before. There seemed to be story potential especially with the girl Ginny and her newfound alliance with X-Force and it all went ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Really a shame that we never really got any follow up on Spiral being split off from Mojo after he banished her back in Uncanny X-Force and in the present she’s right back in the same position she was before. There seemed to be story potential especially with the girl Ginny and her newfound alliance with X-Force and it all went ignored.
    That x-force run was a mess. I felt like they were setting things up for like, 10 issues. And by the time that it was done, it got canceled, and it was the right call. But yeah, there was a lot of potential Spiral stories to be told that never saw the light of the day.

I wish we knew how she feels about not being Rita anymore.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Two awesome samples of fanart:

Ricochet Rita by fedde

Spiral by Kevin Wada

Very nice. I really love good fanart.

I loved Spiral in the WatX cartoon. Though, she really didn't have the whimsy that she did in the comics so you may not have been that impressed yourself, Rita.

How can you not love that "sushi" barb?

I still have not read UXF and honestly I've only heard bad things about it. Yet I will buy it if I got to find it somewhere, because...Spiral. Actually, I think it's there where it's revealed for the first time that her last name is Wayword (Nocenti never told about it).

I totally agree with you in the bolds. Nowadays it's sadly usual that continuity is ignored mainly in supporting characters like her, so they're suddenly in wrong places and times acting absolutely OOC, just in order that A-characters can show off (just as if they needed it more). Thus, last Spiral's appearances show her like a simple committed mercenary of Mojo (?!).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    I wish we knew how she feels about not being Rita anymore.
    Something like that:

But yes, I too would like to hear a more explicit reflexion about her past from her own lips. It's canon since 1992 that Spiral was Rita before, but she usually only refers to herself in relation to her recent time in Mojoworld.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I loved Spiral in the WatX cartoon. Though, she really didn't have the whimsy that she did in the comics so you may not have been that impressed yourself, Rita.
    I've never seen WatX before! Certainly it's sort of better animation than usual --but heck, what I find really awesome it's Nightcrawler's teleportation and movements! 10/10!

Also, YouTube has redirected me to a X-Men: Children of the Atom vid in which there's a fabulous landscape of Mojoworld the way it formerly was designed, in those toxic psychedelic yellow and fuchsia. I love it!

Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 02-17-2019 at 08:24 AM.

I still have not read UXF and honestly I've only heard bad things about it. Yet I will buy it if I got to find it somewhere, because...Spiral. Actually, I think it's there where it's revealed for the first time that her last name is Wayword (Nocenti never told about it).

I totally agree with you in the bolds. Nowadays it's sadly usual that continuity is ignored mainly in supporting characters like her, so they're suddenly in wrong places and times acting absolutely OOC, just in order that A-characters can show off (just as if they needed it more). Thus, last Spiral's appearances show her like a simple committed mercenary of Mojo (?!).
    What's even worse is that while that volume of UXF was pretty bad, it did do some interesting character building where Spiral expressed a longing towards her old life and a sense of hatred towards Mojo for taking that away from her. We got to see a side of Spiral that isn't normally expressed to the degree that her main motivation in that had been trying to save Ginny and rebuild her life. But sadly character evolution is a big no no with Marvel so she's just back to default.

BANNED

What's even worse is that while that volume of UXF was pretty bad, it did do some interesting character building where Spiral expressed a longing towards her old life and a sense of hatred towards Mojo for taking that away from her. We got to see a side of Spiral that isn't normally expressed to the degree that her main motivation in that had been trying to save Ginny and rebuild her life. But sadly character evolution is a big no no with Marvel so she's just back to default.
    I got the feeling Spiral's feeling towards Mojo are love/hate. The process of being transformed from Rita to Spiral was very painful and traumatizing.

And yet, the woman who was a stuntwoman and an adventurer became a powerful sorceress and her adventures got taken to the next level. To an extent she enjoyed her new life as she had plenty of times to escape. She didn't want to.

And as time went on, it was obvious Spiral had her own agenda. She wasn't Mojo's yes woman. She worked for him, but it was self serving.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Loved het in Uncanny X-Force. Weird she's with Mojo again
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    I got the feeling Spiral's feeling towards Mojo are love/hate. The process of being transformed from Rita to Spiral was very painful and traumatizing.

And yet, the woman who was a stuntwoman and an adventurer became a powerful sorceress and her adventures got taken to the next level. To an extent she enjoyed her new life as she had plenty of times to escape. She didn't want to.
    Yes, there's definitely something of this and it's been explicited several times.

Rita is addicted to adrenaline and performance.

So is Spiral, too.

Actually, in the end of Longshot's former mini she had the chance to stay in Earth while Mojo was being thrown back to his dimension. However, she chose to follow him because "we've got a kingdom to rule". Yeah, Spiral has now a new agenda of her own: to rid back of Mojo and maybe occupy his place. But no love/hate here at all: just pure deep hate, and benefit.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 02-18-2019 at 06:12 AM.

Spiral is getting a great focus in Mr & Mrs X #7-9.

Time with Mojo and Major Domo.

Time with Gambit.

Time with Rogue.

And -oh!- some magic spell to look like Rita for a while again. Awww...

No time with Longshot yet, though, eh...

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Thanks for starting this! I knew about her for a long time but grew attached to her after playing Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. I've read a few books with Spiral in it but I feel like I'm still not as well-read on her as I'd like to be. What are the quintessential Spiral stories?
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    What are the quintessential Spiral stories?
    Longshot #1-6 (1985-86)

The New Mutants Annual #2 (1986)

Uncanny X-Men Annuals #10 (1987) & #12 [complementary story] (1988)

Excalibur: Mojo Mayhem (1989)

X-Factor Annual #7 (1992)

Also, Spiral had a relevant presence in UXM during 1986-1988, firstly seducing Rachel Summers and Yuriko Oyama into her Body Shoppe, then being part of Mystique's Freedom Force.

Recently he was also part of the Sisterhood of Mutants, but I haven't read this run.

Other appearances, I personally consider them negligible and/or OOC.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 03-13-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Longshot #1-6 (1985-86)

The New Mutants Annual #2 (1986)

Uncanny X-Men Annuals #10 (1987) & #12 [complementary story] (1988)

Excalibur: Mojo Mayhem (1989)

X-Factor Annual #7 (1992)

Also, Spiral had a relevant presence in UXM during 1986-1988, firstly seducing Rachel Summers and Yuriko Oyama into her Body Shoppe, then being part of Mystique's Freedom Force.

Recently he was also part of the Sisterhood of Mutants, but I haven't read this run.

Other appearances, I personally consider them negligible and/or OOC.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check them out ASAP.
    Make Good Art