Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I've been a big Spiral fan since I got introduced to X-Men as a kid, and really excited to see this development. I hope this doesn't get forgotten, and we see in different roles over time away from the Mojo-Verse, I'd like to see her develop her Sorceress side more within Earth, and revisit some of the threads from Uncanny X-Force.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GilGarciaJr View Post
    I've been a big Spiral fan since I got introduced to X-Men as a kid, and really excited to see this development. I hope this doesn't get forgotten, and we see in different roles over time away from the Mojo-Verse, I'd like to see her develop her Sorceress side more within Earth, and revisit some of the threads from Uncanny X-Force.
    I would like to see this, too. I know it's inevitable that she'll be working for Mojo again at some point, but I hope she gets to do some other stuff on her own.
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    I would like to see this, too. I know it's inevitable that she'll be working for Mojo again at some point, but I hope she gets to do some other stuff on her own.
    Eh, I really hope that it is not inevitable that Spiral goes back to working for Mojo at some point. She finally got her sole back and no longer has to be his henchwoman. I'd rather read new stories with Spiral than see her stuffed into some nostalgia default reset with Mojo. And, besides that I haven't been all that fond of Mojo lately to begin with. So being able to read about Spiral without him around would be awfully nice.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Eh, I really hope that it is not inevitable that Spiral goes back to working for Mojo at some point. She finally got her sole back and no longer has to be his henchwoman. I'd rather read new stories with Spiral than see her stuffed into some nostalgia default reset with Mojo. And, besides that I haven't been all that fond of Mojo lately to begin with. So being able to read about Spiral without him around would be awfully nice.
    Same here. The whole tortured/brainwashed and altered aspects of her origin makes me not eager to see a return to the familiar status quo, despite it being the classic set-up fans are used to. But like Sandmans_Raven said, it'll be very likely to happen once a writer decides they want to be nostalgic about it, or just didn't know about the developments in X-Force and Mr and Mrs X. But yeah, for a change, I'd love to see some sort of merged Rita/Spiral in personality version of the character.

Yeah, it would be nice to see more of Rita. I cant claim to have read the Longshot monthly, only his miniseries. Nor did I completely follow her time in Uncanny X-Force. Didn't care for that comic. Have we ever seen a good long look what Rita really thinks of being Spiral.

Yeah, it would be nice to see more of Rita. I cant claim to have read the Longshot monthly, only his miniseries. Nor did I completely follow her time in Uncanny X-Force. Didn't care for that comic. Have we ever seen a good long look what Rita really thinks of being Spiral.
    I like the idea that all traces of Rita are literally gone from Spiral. Mojo did horrific things to drive her to insanity.

Ditching the tortured human stuff makes her far more unique in the scope of comic books as a female villain (especially one with her own agenda). Plus, Spiral is just so much cooler as a force of nature rather than a woman we sympathize with.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Wow, it's great to see so much Spiral/Rita love here!

Eh, I really hope that it is not inevitable that Spiral goes back to working for Mojo at some point. She finally got her sole back and no longer has to be his henchwoman. I'd rather read new stories with Spiral than see her stuffed into some nostalgia default reset with Mojo.
    Quote Originally Posted by GilGarciaJr View Post
    But yeah, for a change, I'd love to see some sort of merged Rita/Spiral in personality version of the character.
    Yeah, it would be nice to see more of Rita.
    Totally agree. I think she's a sufficiently independent and strong character to act her own --actually, she's been in Freedom Force and UXF, she's managed the Body Shoppe, and she's been always longing to get rid of Mojo. It would be interesting to know what she wants to do with her life without being attached to him.

I cant claim to have read the Longshot monthly, only his miniseries.
    I'm not sure what are you refering to. Longshot never had another series apart from 'Longshot saves the MU' (4 issues). It was planned when he quit the X-Men, yes, but it never came to an end.

Have we ever seen a good long look what Rita really thinks of being Spiral.
    I guess this is the closest we have (UXF #6):

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I like the idea that all traces of Rita are literally gone from Spiral. Mojo did horrific things to drive her to insanity.

Ditching the tortured human stuff makes her far more unique in the scope of comic books as a female villain (especially one with her own agenda). Plus, Spiral is just so much cooler as a force of nature rather than a woman we sympathize with.
    In fact, Ann Nocenti never meant Spiral and Rita to be the same person. Spiral was (presumably) a bioengineered creature desing and built by the Spineless, exactly the same as Longshot, Quark and the other slaves from the Wildways. I'm now reading 'Prisoner X', a 1998 novel by Nocenti, and she intentionally ignores the 1993 canon established in the 'Shattershot' crossover: Rita and Spiral are two separated characters there.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 09-05-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Wow, it's great to see so much Spiral/Rita love here!
    I'm not sure what are you refering to. Longshot never had another series apart from 'Longshot saves the MU' (4 issues). It was planned when he quit the X-Men, yes, but it never came to an end.

I guess this is the closest we have (UXF #6):

In fact, Ann Nocenti never meant Spiral and Rita to be the same person. Spiral was (presumably) a bioengineered creature desing and built by the Spineless, exactly the same as Longshot, Quark and the other slaves from the Wildways. I'm now reading 'Prisoner X', a 1998 novel by Nocenti, and she intentionally ignores the 1993 canon established in the 'Shattershot' crossover: Rita and Spiral are two separated characters there.

Sorry. I had always thought Longshot had gotten a second series that didn't last long. I must have him confused with a different character. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the picture from Uncanny X-Force. If that's all there is, then there really isn't a lot shown of Spiral reflecting on her time as Rita. Someone could get some stories out of that if they wanted to.

Always liked Anka's design for Spyral.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Sorry. I had always thought Longshot had gotten a second series that didn't last long. I must have him confused with a different character. Sorry for the confusion.
    No problem. It's understandable you thought so, since it was announced for a long time that Nocenti and Adams was working on an ongoing series (firstly) limited series (later) graphic novel (lastly). Nothing was finally published, though, despite Nocenti had already written a lot of stuff and Adams had made quite a few sketches and storyboards (this was told in some interviews). I guess the project was fading because CC's kidnapped both Longshot and Art Adams for the X-Men (team and annuals, respectively) for a couple of years. The moment they were free again, it was too late to remount.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post

Yes. It's nice, stark, elegant, and it's got hints of her former costume.

I've been reading all of Spiral's appearances in chronological order (or re-reading in many cases). I actually prefer Spiral as a separate character. There are so many villains, especially female villains, with the tragic "I'm a victim of my circumstances" backstory. I like the idea that Spiral is just out to do whatever she pleases. She certainly has the power set to do as such. And I love her earlier appearances where she was sort of mysterious and off doing her own thing, bestowing power on characters like Lady Deathstrike and the Reavers in exchange for loyalty or whatever she wanted at the time, or just pure curiosity at seeing what unfolds from her actions.

This is a woman who could easily stand among Mr. Sinister, Apocalypse, and Magneto as an A-List threat. That's why I hate when they shoehorn her into X-Force or the Sisterhood of Mutants. Her regaining her soul in Mr. and Mrs. X is the best development that has happened to Spiral in decades. I really hope they go forward with that plot rather than revert her back to Mojo's sassy lackey.

As for the Rita thing, I'm pretty sure Spiral's backstory has her displaced in time. So there are other Rita's (at least one) that Spiral actively tried to spare from suffering the same fate as her. That might be why the novel (which I admittedly haven't read) has the characters as separate entities. But I do wish the writers didn't change Nocenti's plans since she was the creator of both characters.

ALSO: I hate when they make Spiral a sexy femme fatale. This woman should be menacing and mysterious, not the typical comic book pin-up girl with six arms.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I've been reading all of Spiral's appearances in chronological order (or re-reading in many cases). I actually prefer Spiral as a separate character. There are so many villains, especially female villains, with the tragic "I'm a victim of my circumstances" backstory. I like the idea that Spiral is just out to do whatever she pleases. She certainly has the power set to do as such. And I love her earlier appearances where she was sort of mysterious and off doing her own thing, bestowing power on characters like Lady Deathstrike and the Reavers in exchange for loyalty or whatever she wanted at the time, or just pure curiosity at seeing what unfolds from her actions.

This is a woman who could easily stand among Mr. Sinister, Apocalypse, and Magneto as an A-List threat. That's why I hate when they shoehorn her into X-Force or the Sisterhood of Mutants. Her regaining her soul in Mr. and Mrs. X is the best development that has happened to Spiral in decades. I really hope they go forward with that plot rather than revert her back to Mojo's sassy lackey.

As for the Rita thing, I'm pretty sure Spiral's backstory has her displaced in time. So there are other Rita's (at least one) that Spiral actively tried to spare from suffering the same fate as her. That might be why the novel (which I admittedly haven't read) has the characters as separate entities. But I do wish the writers didn't change Nocenti's plans since she was the creator of both characters.

ALSO: I hate when they make Spiral a sexy femme fatale. This woman should be menacing and mysterious, not the typical comic book pin-up girl with six arms.
    Let's not forget that Spiral was also on the short list in-universe considered to take up the Sorcerer Supreme title when Stephen Strange had to vacate the title (which eventually went to Brother Voodoo at the time), so no doubt about potential.
    There's definitely no shortage of directions a writer could take her as shown with the posts above. Personally I wouldn't mind her trying the hero route for a while if she becomes more Rita in personality, maybe even in a team outside the X-books, but she would still be great doing the solo villain route too.
    While I accept that a writer would eventually put her back with Mojo, I also think her role as the eternal abuse victim-servant might clash more with today's real world politics compared to the 80's and 90's and might be bordering on problematic with today's audience. Though then again, maybe a closer, head-on exploration of those themes is exactly what's needed for some good storytelling to reflect these changing times.

As for presentation, I guess my ideal version would lean more towards the Sorceress/Sword warrior side. While not a typical femme fatale, I imagine as a former stunt woman/Sword wielder and dancer, she'd probably more the more muscular side of Marvel women, and be a mix of physically imposing mixed with mysterious, though that's probably my Sword and Sorcery fandom talking. (For my money, my favorite visual version is her Marvel VS Capcom spirte).

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post

That's a really nice design. Was it intended for a comic? Or was it just an idea for a costume that the artist drew up?

No problem. It's understandable you thought so, since it was announced for a long time that Nocenti and Adams was working on an ongoing series (firstly) limited series (later) graphic novel (lastly). Nothing was finally published, though, despite Nocenti had already written a lot of stuff and Adams had made quite a few sketches and storyboards (this was told in some interviews). I guess the project was fading because CC's kidnapped both Longshot and Art Adams for the X-Men (team and annuals, respectively) for a couple of years. The moment they were free again, it was too late to remount.
    Nah, I think that I confused the short lived Maverick comic for a book about Longshot. Don't ask me how I did it.

I wasn't reading comics when the Longshot mini and Outback era X-Men comics were originally being written. I didn't know that there were so many other Longshot projects in the works. So I cant claim the proposed longshot projects that you listed as an excuse.

Spectacular Member

That's a really nice design. Was it intended for a comic? Or was it just an idea for a costume that the artist drew up?
    It's the costume she wore when she was part of Uncanny X-Force back around 2013. If I recall correctly, it was also used in that Marvel web browser game they had up till a couple years ago.

Thanks. I didn't read the 2013 Uncanny X-Force.