Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prowler (Hobie Brown) Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous
    "Hobie Brown Appreciation Thread" begun by Agent Z back in March 2015 and can be found here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z
    Thought I'd start a thread for Hobie Brown aka The Prowler. While he isn't used much he's one of those characters I like if only for the potential use he might have. Anyone else interested?

And from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #13 (1979):
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 02-16-2019 at 09:37 AM.

BANNED

Also the first person aside from Peter Parker to wear the Spider-Man costume, which he did in ASM #87. Let the record state that the first guy who wore Spider-Man's mask aside from Peter was a black man named Hobie Brown. So all that "anyone can wear the mask" or a black man being Spider-Man was inserted by Stan Lee and John Romita Sr., i.e. canon-as-they-come.

Bendis obviously knew what he was doing when he made Jefferson Morales, Miles Morales, and Aaron Davis by dividing Hobie Brown's aspects into multiple parts. Jefferson is the reformed and stayed reformed guy, Aaron Davis is the Prowler unredeemed, and Miles Morales is the kid who wore Spider-Man's costume, and took Lee's implication and ran with it by becoming Spider-Man's major legacy character.

A terrific and often underused supporting character. A villain who reformed and stayed reformed. Hobie Brown didn't do much in later stories, but I liked him in IDENTITY CRISIS, where Peter uses his tech to help fix one of his substitute identities.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Also the first person aside from Peter Parker to wear the Spider-Man costume, which he did in ASM #87. Let the record state that the first guy who wore Spider-Man's mask aside from Peter was a black man named Hobie Brown. So all that "anyone can wear the mask" or a black man being Spider-Man was inserted by Stan Lee and John Romita Sr., i.e. canon-as-they-come.

Bendis obviously knew what he was doing when he made Jefferson Morales, Miles Morales, and Aaron Davis by dividing Hobie Brown's aspects into multiple parts. Jefferson is the reformed and stayed reformed guy, Aaron Davis is the Prowler unredeemed, and Miles Morales is the kid who wore Spider-Man's costume, and took Lee's implication and ran with it by becoming Spider-Man's major legacy character.

A terrific and often underused supporting character. A villain who reformed and stayed reformed. Hobie Brown didn't do much in later stories, but I liked him in IDENTITY CRISIS, where Peter uses his tech to help fix one of his substitute identities.
    Fully cosigned. I think he had the potential to be one of the better parts of Dan Slott's later Spider-Man run, but sadly, his major role ended up being seemingly killed and "reanimated" as an agent of the new Jackal, and when the original turned out to still be alive and actually stuck in a rejuvenation chamber . . . Well, I'm just sorry nobody at Marvel has picked him up from there yet.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Fully cosigned. I think he had the potential to be one of the better parts of Dan Slott's later Spider-Man run, but sadly, his major role ended up being seemingly killed and "reanimated" as an agent of the new Jackal, and when the original turned out to still be alive and actually stuck in a rejuvenation chamber . . . Well, I'm just sorry nobody at Marvel has picked him up from there yet.
    Hobie was supposed to have his own big story after CC, but the cancellation of his mini nixed it. Hope he shows up in Miles' book.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Hobie was supposed to have his own big story after CC, but the cancellation of his mini nixed it. Hope he shows up in Miles' book.
    I think it was originally supposed to be an ongoing, but low sales turnout caused it to be "downgraded" to a mini. That said, Prowler and Miles teaming up would be interesting, especially if Hobie met Aaron. Would love to see those two confront each other.

hope the real Hobart shows up soon.

from Web of Spider-Man Annual #10 (1994)

I had did the year mail subscription to The Prowlers ongoing series , back during the clone thingy

but , six issues later , , really enjoyed the art

Have always liked Hobie brown as the Prowler , and would like to see him show up in the new Miles Morales series
    Wherever I Go , The Wind Follows...............................And The Wind , It Smells Like Rain

from
    The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update '89 No. 6 (mid-November 1989):

BANNED

Hear! Hear!

BANNED

Web of Spider-Man #50 May 1989
    "1,000 Words" Guest-starring the Prowler, Puma, Rocket Racer, Sandman, Silver Sable and Will-O-the-Wisp.
    The Chameleon while impersonating J. Jonah Jameson runs an anti-web-slinger Daily Bugle
    headline that prompts Spider-Man's friends to come to the wall-crawler's defense.

The six guest-stars have good intentions, but they end up fighting each other

and at times Spider-Man too, while trying to sort out the situation.

Meanwhile, the gang war between the Arranger and the Lobo Brothers is ramping up.

Story by Gerry Conway. Art by Alex Saviuk and Keith Williams.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

You know, I never thought about it like that before but that makes a lot of sense. Would definitely love to see Hobie guest-star for an arc over in Miles' book. I was really hoping, after Slott was talking him up so much, that there was going to be something really big in store for him during Clone Conspiracy but that twist of him getting killed and cloned really derailed all of that.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Have Hobie and Aaron met yet?

The Prowler has always been my favorite Spiderman supporting character. Dont really see him as a villain. I just wish more was done with him.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    The Prowler has always been my favorite Spiderman supporting character. Dont really see him as a villain. I just wish more was done with him.
    Did you read Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #7-10 by Tom Taylor? It was a pretty solid story arc with Prowler as one of the key characters and opened an interesting new chapter for his story if future writers want to take advantage of it.