Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Did you read Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #7-10 by Tom Taylor? It was a pretty solid story arc with Prowler as one of the key characters and opened an interesting new chapter for his story if future writers want to take advantage of it.
    I have not but I will pick it up. Thanks for the heads up.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

does Brown know about Miles' uncle Aaron?

Unknown. The two Prowlers have never met.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I have not but I will pick it up. Thanks for the heads up.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    does Brown know about Miles' uncle Aaron?
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Unknown. The two Prowlers have never met.
    Guessing Aaron could easily be retconned as one of the several "impostor Prowlers" that keep showing up every so often.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man #79 Dec 1969
    "To Prowl No More!"
    At the conclusion of last issue, Peter Parker was left confronting the Prowler, when J. Jonah Jameson walked in.
    Since he can't fight the Prowler as Peter Parker, Peter jumps out the window,
    pretending that the Prowler scared him into jumping out.
    Using his wall crawling power, Peter reaches the ground unharmed.

J. Jonah Jameson goes back into the room where the Prowler had been, having gone and fetched Robbie Robertson.
    Seeing the broken window and Peter missing, Jonah accuses the Prowler of having thrown Peter out.
    The Prowler then jumps out of the window, since he never intended to hurt anybody.
    Upon reaching the rooftop, he finds Spider-Man there. The two fight,

and it looks as if Spider-Man is about to beat the Prowler,
    when the Prowler manages to blast Spider-Man with a gas pellet in his boot.
    This distracts Spider-Man long enough for the Prowler to get away.

Peter Parker then walks back into the Daily Bugle to tell Jonah and Robbie that he's still alive,
    claiming that Spider-Man was swinging by and saved him. Peter then returns home,
    but is feeling depressed since he thinks Gwen Stacy ditched him for Flash Thompson in the previous issue.
    At Hobie Brown's apartment, he changes out of his Prowler costume, but is feeling guilty about Peter's "death".

However, after a bit of thinking he decides that if he can deliver Spider-Man
    to the police then they'll believe he never meant to hurt anybody.

After a day at Empire State University, where Peter tells Gwen he saw her with Flash, he returns home,
    and sees a news bulletin saying that the Prowler is still at large. Peter then decides that it's one way to
    get Gwen out of his mind, and changes to his Spider-Man costume, bringing a gas filter along this time.

One a hunch, Spider-Man checks various banks and diamond centers, and finds the Prowler at one.
    Unfortunately for the Prowler, Spider-Man is ready for him this time, and manages to clog his gas blasters with webbing.
    Upon unmasking the Prowler, Spider-Man asks Hobie to tell him why he became the Prowler.
    After Hobie tells him, Spider-Man tells him that he won't turn him in,

and that he shouldn't give up on his regular life.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Buscema (layouts) and Jim Mooney (pencils), inks by Jim Mooney

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man #79 Dec 1969
    "To Prowl No More!"
    At the conclusion of last issue, Peter Parker was left confronting the Prowler, when J. Jonah Jameson walked in.
    Since he can't fight the Prowler as Peter Parker, Peter jumps out the window,
    pretending that the Prowler scared him into jumping out.
    Using his wall crawling power, Peter reaches the ground unharmed.

J. Jonah Jameson goes back into the room where the Prowler had been, having gone and fetched Robbie Robertson.
    Seeing the broken window and Peter missing, Jonah accuses the Prowler of having thrown Peter out.
    The Prowler then jumps out of the window, since he never intended to hurt anybody.
    Upon reaching the rooftop, he finds Spider-Man there. The two fight,

and it looks as if Spider-Man is about to beat the Prowler,
    when the Prowler manages to blast Spider-Man with a gas pellet in his boot.
    This distracts Spider-Man long enough for the Prowler to get away.

Peter Parker then walks back into the Daily Bugle to tell Jonah and Robbie that he's still alive,
    claiming that Spider-Man was swinging by and saved him. Peter then returns home,
    but is feeling depressed since he thinks Gwen Stacy ditched him for Flash Thompson in the previous issue.
    At Hobie Brown's apartment, he changes out of his Prowler costume, but is feeling guilty about Peter's "death".

However, after a bit of thinking he decides that if he can deliver Spider-Man
    to the police then they'll believe he never meant to hurt anybody.

After a day at Empire State University, where Peter tells Gwen he saw her with Flash, he returns home,
    and sees a news bulletin saying that the Prowler is still at large. Peter then decides that it's one way to
    get Gwen out of his mind, and changes to his Spider-Man costume, bringing a gas filter along this time.

One a hunch, Spider-Man checks various banks and diamond centers, and finds the Prowler at one.
    Unfortunately for the Prowler, Spider-Man is ready for him this time, and manages to clog his gas blasters with webbing.
    Upon unmasking the Prowler, Spider-Man asks Hobie to tell him why he became the Prowler.
    After Hobie tells him, Spider-Man tells him that he won't turn him in,

and that he shouldn't give up on his regular life.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Buscema (layouts) and Jim Mooney (pencils), inks by Jim Mooney
    And with that, a true friendship was born. I just hope someday there's a Spider-Man adaptation that really does justice for Hobie and his relation with Spider-Man.

Mighty Member

Yeah it always rubbed me the wrong way that when Hobie was a street thug in the 90's animated series. Looking at the scan above Hobie was horrified of the thought of possibly killing someone accidentally, then when we see him animated for the first time he feels like a big shot after thinking he killed Spider-Man. I often wonder how they got that character so wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Yeah it always rubbed me the wrong way that when Hobie was a street thug in the 90's animated series. Looking at the scan above Hobie was horrified of the thought of possibly killing someone accidentally, then when we see him animated for the first time he feels like a big shot after thinking he killed Spider-Man. I often wonder how they got that character so wrong...
    And then Marvel's Spider-Man, the animated series, had him appear with his brother Abe, but had Abe be the one who designed the Prowler gear instead of Hobie designing and making it himself. That was also disappointing.

hmm. John Semper, who is African-American, was the head producer (after the first handful of episodes). Wonder how much influence he had. Oh well... Aunt Anna's hostility was among various head-twist characterizations I had an issue with.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And then Marvel's Spider-Man, the animated series, had him appear with his brother Abe, but had Abe be the one who designed the Prowler gear instead of Hobie designing and making it himself. That was also disappointing.
    Agreed... Though I wonder how much they were trying to have synergy with the MCU as Abe Brown was one of Peter's classmates in that (which is weird if that is the case as Abe was barely a character in Homecoming, absent in Far From Home, and they have already Liz not be similar to her MCU counterpart.

hmm. John Semper, who is African-American, was the head producer (after the first handful of episodes). Wonder how much influence he had. Oh well... Aunt Anna's hostility was among various head-twist characterizations I had an issue with.
    Heck, Semper's involvement makes me ponder why that decision was made even MORE... Also Anna Watson may as well have been a super villain on that show.

The only other animated version of Hobie I could think of is Spectacular's version, and I'm not too entirely sure where the show wanted to go with him as he was a minor character at that point. All we know about Spectacular's incarnation is
    1. He is athletic (he's part of Midtown's football team, and Flash and Kong were trying to guarantee him a spot),
    2. He's going to a Magnet school (which that version of Midtown High was, it just specialized in multiple subjects rather than being solely "SCIENCE", thus having guest lecturers like the Captain of NYPD)
    3. He can act (his only speaking appearance, and he performed at the "Lincoln Dynamic Youth Center in the past)
    (also he's dating a girl whom we can only assume to be Mindy)

I'm curious to why Hobie tends to always get the short end of the stick in these adaptations. (Though nowadays with Miles and Aaron, we are lucky to get Hobie at all)

I did not know that. Thanks.

Agreed... Though I wonder how much they were trying to have synergy with the MCU as Abe Brown was one of Peter's classmates in that (which is weird if that is the case as Abe was barely a character in Homecoming, absent in Far From Home, and they have already Liz not be similar to her MCU counterpart.

Heck, Semper's involvement makes me ponder why that decision was made even MORE... Also Anna Watson may as well have been a super villain on that show.

The only other animated version of Hobie I could think of is Spectacular's version, and I'm not too entirely sure where the show wanted to go with him as he was a minor character at that point. All we know about Spectacular's incarnation is
    1. He is athletic (he's part of Midtown's football team, and Flash and Kong were trying to guarantee him a spot),
    2. He's going to a Magnet school (which that version of Midtown High was, it just specialized in multiple subjects rather than being solely "SCIENCE", thus having guest lecturers like the Captain of NYPD)
    3. He can act (his only speaking appearance, and he performed at the "Lincoln Dynamic Youth Center in the past)
    (also he's dating a girl whom we can only assume to be Mindy)

I'm curious to why Hobie tends to always get the short end of the stick in these adaptations. (Though nowadays with Miles and Aaron, we are lucky to get Hobie at all)
    Same here. It's a real shame, as there's a definite lot that could be done and explored with his character.