Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why did Geoff Johns bother bringing back the original Wally West in DC UNIVERSE REBIRTH #1 if DC was going to wind up treating him the way they have?
    Well, to play devil's advocate, things have changed in management since the Special. I'm certain Johns had big plans for Wally and Wally was going to have a role in the resolution of the Manhattan stuff (whether that's Clock or something else, who knows for sure?). But now it seems like Johns has less influence on the comics side, is focusing more on the larger media stuff, and those original plans might've been changed. Maybe by management, maybe by Johns himself (wouldn't be the first time he's dropped a major plotline), who knows?

That recent cover reveal for HiC, with Wally and his pre-52 family, makes me believe that Wally's not actually out of the game. But it could be possible. I mean, Johns doesn't usually share his toys. For example, Aqualad wasn't allowed into the New52 Titans because Johns had plans (that he never got to). The JSA and Legion were being held in check by Clock. The fact that, reportedly, the JSA and/or Legion are now available to creators again, and that King has used Wally in HiC, point towards an inconsistency with how DC usually works around Johns' plans, if nothing else. I still think Wally's got a role to play but.....we wont know until we see it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Well, DC just announced a Jimmy Olsen ongoing starting in June, so I guess we can put a lid on this rumor. If DC were going to significantly reduce their monthlies, Jimmy Olsen doesn't seem like a candidate who would get his own book.
    I came in to say this. Never sounded very likely anyway.

Though I think that report did say DC would only publish 22 "superhero" titles. I suppose the announcement of two titles about civilians doesn't necessarily contradict that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    . . . The fact that, reportedly, the JSA and/or Legion are now available to creators again . . .
    I think you may have misspoken there.

I thought at one point it was said that those franchises WOULD be available again for other creators to use after a certain date whether or not Johns had wrapped up their roles in Doomsday Cluck, but I don't know if that date has ever been stated / confirmed by DC nor whether we've reached / past that date or not yet.

Shazam was in the same boat, but that's out now.

Though I think that report did say DC would only publish 22 "superhero" titles. I suppose the announcement of two titles about civilians doesn't necessarily contradict that.
    Yeah, the 22 also don't include imprints, such as the Wonder Comics line.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I think you may have misspoken there.

I thought at one point it was said that those franchises WOULD be available again for other creators to use after a certain date whether or not Johns had wrapped up their roles in Doomsday Cluck, but I don't know if that date has ever been stated / confirmed by DC nor whether we've reached / past that date or not yet.
    That's true. In any case, it does seem like Johns has less influence than he did. So who knows what plans with Wally have changed? I dont think they'll get rid of him, despite what HiC is saying, but it seems like DC itself doesnt know what they're doing so I dont think we're gonna be able to work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Shazam was in the same boat, but that's out now.

Yeah, the 22 also don't include imprints, such as the Wonder Comics line.
    And, depending on how you want to slice the "superhero" term, it might discount books like Harley Quinn and Squad. So even if this rumor is true (and I doubt it) it doesn't feel like we'd actually be losing much. A couple fringe books that probably struggle with sales anyway? Nightwing, because Didio hates the character? I'll be pissed if Dick Grayson loses his book but its not like management has allowed that title to be worth reading anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

And, depending on how you want to slice the "superhero" term, it might discount books like Harley Quinn and Squad. So even if this rumor is true (and I doubt it) it doesn't feel like we'd actually be losing much. A couple fringe books that probably struggle with sales anyway? Nightwing, because Didio hates the character? I'll be pissed if Dick Grayson loses his book but its not like management has allowed that title to be worth reading anyway.
    if it's true that Didio is out as editor wouldn't that lead to possible more exposure for Nightwing?

According to BC, there are mandatory staff wide editorial meetings taking place in Burbank today and whatever gets decided is supposed to be announced at the upcoming ComicsPro retailer summit, so everything until then is blind speculation.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Also, Bendis runs an "ask me anything" over on Reddit.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    if it's true that Didio is out as editor wouldn't that lead to possible more exposure for Nightwing?
    But is that being reported as a FACT by more than one credible source?

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    According to BC, there are mandatory staff wide editorial meetings taking place in Burbank today and whatever gets decided is supposed to be announced at the upcoming ComicsPro retailer summit, so everything until then is blind speculation.

-M
    If it weren't for blind speculation, what would half of us post about?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Also, Bendis runs an "ask me anything" over on Reddit.
    I stay away from reddit. Someone ask the guy if he's a fan of Nightwing for me please?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Huh. I hadn't heard that part of the rumor. I doubt Didio's in danger, personally. Then again I doubt all of this "New22" stuff.

But if he left....it might very well improve things for Nightwing, depending on who replaces Didio and how the shakeout goes. Obviously I dont have all the data DC and WB do, but from what we can see on this end of things it seems like there's plenty of good business reasoning to keep him around and perhaps to even put some investment into him. Nightwing is one of the most consistent titles at the company with one of the highest sales floors. It usually outsells just about every other DC book that isn't the League or Harley. Dick's got tons of history and pedigree and larger media presence in things like TTGO!, Young Justice, Titans (streaming), the Arkham games, etc. Lots of reasons to keep the book going. But he does seem to have a low sales ceiling, which is problematic.

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

But is that being reported as a FACT by more than one credible source?
    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

-M
    we gon see

Fantastic Member

Didio has had a lengthy tenure, fresh blood & approach would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Well, DC just announced a Jimmy Olsen ongoing starting in June, so I guess we can put a lid on this rumor. If DC were going to significantly reduce their monthlies, Jimmy Olsen doesn't seem like a candidate who would get his own book.
    As well as new books for Lois Lane and Batman & the Outsiders!

Huh. I hadn't heard that part of the rumor. I doubt Didio's in danger, personally. Then again I doubt all of this "New22" stuff.
    I have a theory... and it mostly centers around how the inner circle changed with Johns being apparently pushed out in favor of King and Bendis...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I have a theory... and it mostly centers around how the inner circle changed with Johns being apparently pushed out in favor of King and Bendis...
    If I had to venture a guess, I'd say Johns is more or less out the door and his "stranglehold" is a lot weaker than it was a couple years ago. He's moved on to greener pastures and doesn't concern himself with the comic side of things anymore. My first hint of this was the Bendis MOS mini and the cover featuring Superman's ship. Rebirth seemed to be setting everything up to go back to the Johns origin for Superman. Well, his ship didn't look like that. So now I'm thinking they're going in a different direction. So the theory that he had plans for Wally that just didn't pan out seems valid. He may get to do what he wants with Doomsday Clock and that will be it for him on the comic side. After that, his influence will be done. That's just a theory on my part. If he's running the day to day of the movie franchise, I doubt he has time to concern himself with comics.
    Assassinate Putin!