Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    If I had to venture a guess, I'd say Johns is more or less out the door and his "stranglehold" is a lot weaker than it was a couple years ago. He's moved on to greener pastures and doesn't concern himself with the comic side of things anymore. My first hint of this was the Bendis MOS mini and the cover featuring Superman's ship. Rebirth seemed to be setting everything up to go back to the Johns origin for Superman. Well, his ship didn't look like that. So now I'm thinking they're going in a different direction. So the theory that he had plans for Wally that just didn't pan out seems valid. He may get to do what he wants with Doomsday Clock and that will be it for him on the comic side. After that, his influence will be done. That's just a theory on my part. If he's running the day to day of the movie franchise, I doubt he has time to concern himself with comics.
    Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Johns was done with the DCEU?

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Johns was done with the DCEU?
    Johns is tentatively still writing and maybe producing the Green Lantern film in development, but he's no longer in any sort of overseeing position for the whole film side like he was in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    If I had to venture a guess, I'd say Johns is more or less out the door and his "stranglehold" is a lot weaker than it was a couple years ago. He's moved on to greener pastures and doesn't concern himself with the comic side of things anymore. My first hint of this was the Bendis MOS mini and the cover featuring Superman's ship. Rebirth seemed to be setting everything up to go back to the Johns origin for Superman. Well, his ship didn't look like that. So now I'm thinking they're going in a different direction. So the theory that he had plans for Wally that just didn't pan out seems valid. He may get to do what he wants with Doomsday Clock and that will be it for him on the comic side. After that, his influence will be done. That's just a theory on my part. If he's running the day to day of the movie franchise, I doubt he has time to concern himself with comics.
    Johns is still involved with the comics side.

He's got his own imprint he's developing as well as the "3 Jokers" comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Pretty much, 22 ongoings plus minis, maxis, event books, other imprint books. Not really much of a difference. All I see happening is all ongoings below the 20000 mark getting prepped for cancellation.
    If they put some solid limited series in their place I have no problem with this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    . . . All I see happening is all ongoings below the 20000 mark getting prepped for cancellation.
    But "below 20,000" based on what?
    Definitely not the numbers posted by Diamond, since they don't include digital copies. And does DC take into account series that may not sell quite that many issues as single-copies but do better in the long-term in collected editions?

BANNED

Didio confirms there will be a 10-15% cutback on publishing, but denies that it'll be just 22 books

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02...utting-comics/

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Didio confirms there will be a 10-15% cutback on publishing, but denies that it'll be just 22 books

He also throws more shade at the fans:

DiDio acknowledged unrest regarding the comics industry right now, but asked comic book retailers not to share their complaints about DC Comics – or others – with their customers. Rather, to hold themselves to a higher standard than the fans.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    if it's true that Didio is out as editor . . .
    Later on, . . .

Doesn't sound like he's going anywhere soon (unless he announces on the last day he'll be leaving DC).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Later on, . . .
    Doesn't sound like he's going anywhere soon (unless he announces on the last day he'll be leaving DC).
    well I didn't really care I was just positing a theory on Nightwing possibly getting more exposure because of what the article mentions in OP...

10-15% isn't bad I feel like with the recent slew of cancellations they already have set it into motion

I have no problems with Didio but the censorship of Batman Damned is lame!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    He also throws more shade at the fans:
    Yeah, that's pretty crass. We're the fuel that lights the fire that keeps this industry toasty, we're as entitled to knowing how the engines kept running as they are

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Yeah, that's pretty crass. We're the fuel that lights the fire that keeps this industry toasty, we're as entitled to knowing how the engines kept running as they are
    This is one of the things I have never understood. Fans are what drives this industry and Didio takes every opportunity to make stabs at and bully those people who make his job possible. Not only is it poor business its extremely poor character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Later on, . . .
    He's immortal like my mother-in-law; I will never be free of the rottenness they inflict on my life. And I LOVE the, "I'm gonna give you slop but don't whine about it." Uh huhh.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This is one of the things I have never understood. Fans are what drives this industry and Didio takes every opportunity to make stabs at and bully those people who make his job possible. Not only is it poor business its extremely poor character.
    DiDio's hatred for the Fans and Characters has me wondering why he still has a Job, Then I remember he's a cockroach who would throw his own Grandmother to the Wolves to preserve himself
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike

Thanks for the link, Miles To Go! (Are you a Bujold fan, BTW?)

Cutting down on the numbers of titles can be a good move, though I'm worried that the cut among titles will mean that people with P7 traits will come to dominate even more among DC creators.

I'm sceptical to the way the fiefdoms within DC paragraph is phrased. It seems to focus on creators, but to me the key to solving that really isn't the creators but the editors. It is the job of the editors to give feedback to writers (and artists) and help faciliate communications between creators. Not their only job, but it is arguably their main role in the ongoing creative process.

The comment on complaining really rubs me. First, it implies that DiDio sees at least some fans as the enemy or the opposition. Second, he is asking people who are fully independent businesses from DC to shut up about grievances that might be fully legitimate. Third, it gives the impression that DC does not take complaints from fans or retailers seriously.

As for higher page rates, they can help in attracting better talent, but frankly, keeping better talent requires a good workplace culture, especially for creative jobs. And like Bleeding Cool I wonder who they treat as their "power talent", and even more how they are selected.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Thanks for the link, Miles To Go! (Are you a Bujold fan, BTW?)

Cutting down on the numbers of titles can be a good move, though I'm worried that the cut among titles will mean that people with P7 traits will come to dominate even more among DC creators.

I'm sceptical to the way the fiefdoms within DC paragraph is phrased. It seems to focus on creators, but to me the key to solving that really isn't the creators but the editors. It is the job of the editors to give feedback to writers (and artists) and help faciliate communications between creators. Not their only job, but it is arguably their main role in the ongoing creative process.

The comment on complaining really rubs me. First, it implies that DiDio sees at least some fans as the enemy or the opposition. Second, he is asking people who are fully independent businesses from DC to shut up about grievances that might be fully legitimate. Third, it gives the impression that DC does not take complaints from fans or retailers seriously.

As for higher page rates, they can help in attracting better talent, but frankly, keeping better talent requires a good workplace culture, especially for creative jobs. And like Bleeding Cool I wonder who they treat as their "power talent", and even more how they are selected.
    He does see some fans as the Enemy, Fans who dont agree with him. The Loudest of Which at the moment seem to be the Wally West and Nightwing fans, but Wally Fans and DiDio have a pretty colourful history
    Pull List: